My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Master Service Technician
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a couple of fresh reinstalls. I have Windows XP Pro SP3 disks, but I need to go to a guys home that only has dial up. IT will take me a very long time to get him all the 102 security updates downloaded! I thought someone had told me they carry the most recent Windows updates on CD for this very issue, but I cant find it. Is this possible?

Thanks..

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Yup! There is a way to "re-compile" your windows installer CD so that the updates are all there once you do a reload. It can be kinda tricky to get every single one of them installed however. So I usually put only the biggest Service Packs in my disks, and then copy the remaining handful of smaller updates on another disk or flash drive.

For the complete rundown, do a Google search for "Slipstreaming updates on CD" as there are a wide number of walkthroughs on how to do this.

*it's not super-fast, and does take some technical babble, but it's doable!

*You will need your Windows install CD/DVD AND activation code, the M$ service pack and updates, and a couple of blank CDR/DVDR disks. And a bit of free time to mess around with the software. :)

·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
*You will need your Windows install CD/DVD AND activation code, the M$ service pack and updates, and a couple of blank CDR/DVDR disks. And a bit of free time to mess around with the software. :)
Activation code? So I am only able to make 1 discs per system, in other words is it Activation Code specific or if I have 3 Dell Optiplex 745 computers can I make one slipstream disk and use it for reinstall on all 3 machines? All machines have the Windows Pro XP COA with different Activation Code

·
Registered
315 Posts
Activation code? So I am only able to make 1 discs per system, in other words is it Activation Code specific or if I have 3 Dell Optiplex 745 computers can I make one slipstream disk and use it for reinstall on all 3 machines? All machines have the Windows Pro XP COA with different Activation Code
Not sure about the activation code as slipstreaming is only adding the service packs to the OS.

·
Super Moderator
29,552 Posts
if you don't mind manually installing them, you just manually download them from microsoft. save them to your computer, then copy to CD/DVD/thumbdrive. you can't do it out of windows update unless you are running the same version of windows, you have to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-xp has SP3 and several security updates, you can search microsoft for any others you know of off hand.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
part of the Slipstreaming process is that it now enters your windows' License / prodcuct key automaticly as the OS is installed...and other options can be set as well.

if you have an OEM install disk (not one from say "HP, Dell, Gateway, etc) -i.e. a disk you bought over the counter -- You can use that key in your newly crafted Slipstream disk. your new slipstream'd disk should be useable on almost any box.

**if you intend to use the CD & key from the manufacturer of your computer (HP, Dell, Gateway, etc) keep in mind that those disks are "tatooed" to be used only with that manufacturer's hardware. You may be able install the operating system on other machines, but the tatoo will not recognize the hardware and will prompt you to obtain a new license...giving you about a month to do so before it renders the OS unuseable.

**you can also create your new CD, complete with all svc. packs & most recent updates, to *not* enter the windows product key. This allows you to install the operating system as per the above. However, you will be prompted to enter a product key on one of the final reboots after the install. **that key must match the CD you used to make the slipstream'd disk.

·
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you don't mind manually installing them, you just manually download them from microsoft. save them to your computer, then copy to CD/DVD/thumbdrive. you can't do it out of windows update unless you are running the same version of windows, you have to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-xp has SP3 and several security updates, you can search microsoft for any others you know of off hand.
I am a little confused...I understand downloading SP3 to puter then to a disc, but what about the other 120 updates that need to be installed after SP3? I am trying to figure a way to get these to disc.

So in otherwords the other night I did a fresh reinstall of XP which my OS contained SP3, but then i had to go through the process of waiting for 120 more updates, patches, etc being downloaded and installed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts