My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I WANT TO KNOW IF THIS FLUID IS OK TO USE? I didn't get any answers on my last post that answered my question.

I am going to drain & refill the fluid +filter on my John Deere 314, Kohler engine, Dana Rear End.

Anyway.......John Deere Hy-Gard is fairly pricey & just a paint to drive out to the dealer from my location.

I no longer have the original manual. But I found a piece of Documentation for a 300 series tractor that said you can use John Deere's Hydrostatic fluid or Ford Type F fluid.

I went to walmart today and I saw Super Tech (yellow cap) Universal TDH Farm Hydraulic Fluid.

On the back of the Jug it lists you can use for Ford New Holland

as well as John Deere Spec: J20, J21A etc.

It also says for common hydraulic systems. Meaning transmission/rear end hydraulics.

John Deere Hy-Gard > http://www.deere.com/en_US/parts/partsinfo/oils_and_lubricants/oil_hydraulic.html

Anyone know for sure if this is ok to use?

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
I'd use NAPA brand hydrolic oil it is $12 a gallon and meets JD's specs. It is made by valvoline so it is a good brand.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
If it has type f in it now then just put that in again. Once you switch to Hygard you should not go back. However, you can add Hygard to a type f system. :fing32: And :MTF_wel:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Put type F back in dude,that cheaper hydraulic fluid at fleet farms and such do just fine to replace hy-gard,but don't use it in your particular case

1 - 5 of 5 Posts