My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I appreciate the work put into this new look but do we have the option like in the old format to have a classic or other looks? Is there someone that can explain the advantages of the new look? I know there must be some but I am having a hard time locating them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I suddenly started getting notifications for every thread created. Found how to turn that off but don’t see a way to get the daily digest. Don’t see the point in removing that feature. Unless I missed it.

·
Administrator
13,638 Posts
Hey Rudy....

Well, some of the advantages I've found so far is that the new look comes with a whole lot of features we didn't have in the old version.... Take a look here for my ongoing list of things I'm liking, but the big thing about the new look is that it comes as part of a software package that is now current (our old one was 10 years old) and supported (the vendor stopped supporting our version of vBulletin like, 5 years ago IIRC). So, had anything gone wrong on the old forum, like upgrades to the interwebs or browsers that would make features fail on the old one there would be no way to fix it... Kinda like what happened to Weekend Freedom Machines. Their site was down for quite some time until they got their software upgraded, and IIRC, they lost a LOT of data that wasn't recoverable. I don't think any of us want that to happen to MTF.

I'm really liking the Dark View. In terms of a variety of forum skins like we had on the old one, I don't know if thats possible but I'll check....

Sorry, but I'm going to be the blue bird of happiness and make all you guys sick of me, because i'm really liking this new version! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No problem with new, but I guess I would like more of a baby step approach. Just like Win 10 from Win 7, wow, what a step! Lost many old friends on Win 7 that took much time and effort to get back again.

·
Administrator
13,638 Posts
No problem with new, but I guess I would like more of a baby step approach. Just like Win 10 from Win 7, wow, what a step! Lost many old friends on Win 7 that took much time and effort to get back again.
Yeah, no baby steps when things have been left so long without making any changes.... The only option is ripping off the bandaid...

On the other hand, the corporate IT change philosophy for all online services I work with in my day job is that they need to roll out changes on a monthly basis... I deal with five different vendors who have that kind of schedule, and I would not be surprised to see if VS adopts this kind of approach now that they're on a package that will hopefully handle it (something that vBulletin did not do gracefully)`. So you might get the baby step approach you just asked for....

·
Registered
415 Posts
What abt tweaking this new software so it resembles the older ones, to display our sig like before and our badges 5 or 10yr ones. I was proud of the 10yr badge showing my loyalty. Maybe im just to old for change i mean i refuse to get fb or that twater junk.

·
Registered
696 Posts
New version seems to be OK. Might take a little getting used to and finding out what is in all of the corners, but really seems to be OK. Good job and thank you!😁

·
Administrator
4,660 Posts
Yep....the darkview seems much easier on my old eyes.

BTW....moving this thread out of JD to the Site Help section.

·
Joe
1,165 Posts
I do appreciate the work that went into this and I understand the reasoning but..
Sure wish I could get the good old "classic" version. I'm getting too old to keep up with these changes.

·
Registered
709 Posts
So far all I have been able to find is light or dark view. And for me, the dark view is way better but that could just be me.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
As an IT world Guy ( my profession) users almost always hate the upgrade “look” no matter how good the upgrade is. Users never like their cheese moved!! Personally I like the upgrade, cleaner neater look, still learning new features but I say well done!!

·
Administrator
4,660 Posts
I will be honest....I worked on Monday and didn't get on here until after supper. My 1st thought was WTF is going on, I can't handle this. I am an old fart too and hate change......But a couple of hours later,it started to come around. Sure there are still some issues, but we will work through them I am sure.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Can anyone address my question on how to turn off getting emails for every new discussion that gets started? I’ve turned off a bunch of check boxes. It seems to look like I should only be getting notifications for threads I follow or that I’m mentioned in. Yet I keep getting notified of each new thread.

If I can get the daily digest back too that would be great.

·
Administrator
13,638 Posts
99389EB2-9F2E-4A41-A420-4C9A6F674414.png
Are these the checkboxes you’ve been looking at?

Mum not totally sure what effect they have yet, but I’m going to give them a try in different combinations and see what happens. I found these in Preferences. Also, further down in the Preferences section is a bunch of checkboxes controlling what alerts you can receive. I may turn a bunch of those off to see if any of those alertsalso trigger emails by extension.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts