My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, I'm interested in a Massey Ferguson 2723H garden tractor and am wondering if it's the same tractor as the conquest 2350? It seems as though they are almost identical other than the branding.

It's an older machine so I want to make sure parts are still being sourced. It has about 500 hours on it and will go check it out tomorrow.

Thanks in advance! 馃

Administrator
Don't believe it is. Parts are listed for Simplicity 1694820 2723H. I have a MF 2823H couple yrs older (02 - 08) and have no problem with parts.
MikeC

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Don't believe it is. Parts are listed for Simplicity 1694820 2723H. I have a MF 2823H couple yrs older (02 - 08) and have no problem with parts.
MikeC
Thanks Mike, **** I thought they were the same other than the branding. I guess not. Are you in Canada by any chance?

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Also how do you like your machine? Solid? How many hours do you have on it and how many hours do you think it will last?

Administrator
Thanks Mike, **** I thought they were the same other than the branding. I guess not. Are you in Canada by any chance?
It is a compatible # (the one I sent) they just didn't list it with a name. Possibly when New but when parts lookup lists them they are using the number. Even when searching for MF parts they most will come back under a Simplicity or AGCO #.
No SE NY near PA border.
Couple things to check on. Especially the steering col. If it doesn't lock into a tilt position (assuming it has a tilt wheel) it means the aluminum casting under the rubber bot is either broken or the roll pin is out. Mine had both. Replaced roll pin and was fortunate that only two teeth were broken off. The positions available for me were fine. Good thing as that portion of the steering assembly is some $300 US. There is a workaround fix which entails putting a heavy duty hose clamp around col which holds it in one position.
Do like the tractor. Has the hydraulic deck lift, power steering. Paid 300 - 350 for it several yrs ago. Actually was purchased from dealer three miles from me. Guy I got it from was the second owner. Had some leaks and such but those just required maintenance. The original owner paid in neighborhood of $7K.
MikeC

Super Moderator
It was actually made by Simplicity (part of B & S) ....being a Simplicity, you can be assured that it is a good tractor...that steering being the only weak point....the same system was used in Legacy ....I had one with the broken teeth,..and the roll pin was just gone altogether ( part of why I got a good deal on it ) also...but the replacement is about $600 now.....here is a picture of what to look for...just roll up the boot around the base of the steering column, between the steering wheel and dash ...there was also a service bulletin on the steering

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
It is a compatible # (the one I sent) they just didn't list it with a name. Possibly when New but when parts lookup lists them they are using the number. Even when searching for MF parts they most will come back under a Simplicity or AGCO #.
No SE NY near PA border.
Couple things to check on. Especially the steering col. If it doesn't lock into a tilt position (assuming it has a tilt wheel) it means the aluminum casting under the rubber bot is either broken or the roll pin is out. Mine had both. Replaced roll pin and was fortunate that only two teeth were broken off. The positions available for me were fine. Good thing as that portion of the steering assembly is some $300 US. There is a workaround fix which entails putting a heavy duty hose clamp around col which holds it in one position.
Do like the tractor. Has the hydraulic deck lift, power steering. Paid 300 - 350 for it several yrs ago. Actually was purchased from dealer three miles from me. Guy I got it from was the second owner. Had some leaks and such but those just required maintenance. The original owner paid in neighborhood of $7K.
MikeC
I didn't see this until now but I went and checked it out and it seems like it's in ok shape. The battery was dead so we had to boost it and he had a winch on the blower and it was all mangled up so I wasn't able to drive it around. I'm going to have to go back once he has it fixed and check out the steering column.

Thanks for your help!

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
It was actually made by Simplicity (part of B & S) ....being a Simplicity, you can be assured that it is a good tractor...that steering being the only weak point....the same system was used in Legacy ....I had one with the broken teeth,..and the roll pin was just gone altogether ( part of why I got a good deal on it ) also...but the replacement is about $600 now.....here is a picture of what to look for...just roll up the boot around the base of the steering column, between the steering wheel and dash ...there was also a service bulletin on the steering
View attachment 2489455

View attachment 2489456
You're the man Mark. Unfortunately, I didn't see this in time and didn't have a chance to look. I will go back and look at the steering column when he has it running again. It's cold today (-14C) and it wouldn't start and the winch was broken for his snowblower so I couldn't drive it. Thanks for the help!

Super Moderator
If you get it for a good price and it is enough to cover any steering issues..... the tractor ....with maintenance, should last you the rest of your life......I would hold out for a Legacy because of the horizontal shaft engine...just a preference of mine...good luck with it

Administrator
Well that sort of puts this into a different perspective. Doesn't start, winch for snowblower doesn't work. When I put something up for sale it RUNS. Any problems I tell buyer. If it doesn't run - I tell buyer, and states so in ad. Instead this seller puts it up for sale with two major problems and as it sounds to me like he didn't say anything in ad. This also speaks to what little, if any, maintenance has been done. Don't know how handy / mechanical you are, but you could easily sink more into a couple of parts that cost of tractor. Me, I would walk away. even $250 would be too much. Just my 2垄/
MikeC

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Well that sort of puts this into a different perspective. Doesn't start, winch for snowblower doesn't work. When I put something up for sale it RUNS. Any problems I tell buyer. If it doesn't run - I tell buyer, and states so in ad. Instead this seller puts it up for sale with two major problems and as it sounds to me like he didn't say anything in ad. This also speaks to what little, if any, maintenance has been done. Don't know how handy / mechanical you are, but you could easily sink more into a couple of parts that cost of tractor. Me, I would walk away. even $250 would be too much. Just my 2垄/
MikeC
I'm the same way when I sell my stuff. I make sure it's in top shape and presentable when it's for sale. I'm not very handy and would be sending the work to a shop if any repairs are required. I told him I would come back when it's up an running. It would start but we had to boost it with his truck. It is freezing today but he's asking $5000 for a 2008 with 500 hours on it. It does come with a blower, 50 inch deck, wagon, turbo bagger and soft enclosure. As much as I would like a simplicity, I might just end up going with a CC Xt2 that is new. I'm finding it hard to find good tractors in good shape.

makin noise!
Comparing the two on tractor data (Massey 2723H and Conquest 2350) sure looks like they are the same. Same engine, same transmission. I don't know what else might be different?

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Comparing the two on tractor data (Massey 2723H and Conquest 2350) sure looks like they are the same. Same engine, same transmission. I don't know what else might be different?
Those were my thoughts too. The Massey was made by simplicity too

makin noise!
Massey also had a tractor ( I forget its identity) that was the same as the Legacy
Yes,
2900's = Legacys
2800's = Prestiges
2700's = Conquests
2600, 2500, 2400's there's not as much data, I have to guess that they roughly line up with Broadmoors and Regents. I'm no expert, just a quick analysis of available data.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts