My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm sure to get flack for posting this but I can get a straight answer, is it a lawn or garden tractor even MTD doesn't know ?

I don't think it fits into the garden tractor mold but some say it is ?

Below is a picture of mine and one I found on a used tractor site mine doesn't say it is but the other one does mine is the orange one.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated, also if it is a GT where can I get attachments for it i.e. and snowplow or thrower, cab, maybe a small plow.

Thank you Ron :thanku:

P.S. Did they switch colors from 94 to 96 ?

Attachments

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Yours is an LT the red one in the post is an LT but the green one is a MTD 800 series GT

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yours is an LT the red one in the post is an LT but the green one is a MTD 800 series GT
Thats kinda what I though as well mine is a 699 series, ironically they use most of the same parts and I was told the frame also ?

·
Super Moderator
17,111 Posts
You can get attachments for the MTD garden or Lawn tractors through any MTD dealer Ie Cub Cadet,Troybilt You can even get attachments through the Box stores such as Home Depot or Lowes and you can even order directly from MTD http://www.mtdparts.com/ The sleeve hitch for the GT cost about $99.00 It is not the one pictured here http://www.mtdparts.com/webapp/wcs/...-and-attachments/lawn-mowers-tractors-riding/ Because the sleeve hitch for the Green GT above uses the tractors implement lift handle to raise and lower it. :thThumbsU

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Thats kinda what I though as well mine is a 699 series, ironically they use most of the same parts and I was told the frame also ?
Some are the same like the engine, body, mower decks, blowers, blades, baggers and more but they do not have the same hitch plate, transaxle, pulleys to the transaxle, drive belts, larger tires and wheels.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
The sleeve hitch for the GT cost about $99.00 It is not the one pictured here <snip> Because the sleeve hitch for the Green GT above uses the tractors implement lift handle to raise and lower it. :thThumbsU
Can you get me the part numbers for that sleeve hitch??

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can get attachments for the MTD garden or Lawn tractior through any MTD dealer Ie Cub Cadet,Troybilt You can geven get attachments through the Box stores such as Home Depot or Lowes and you can even order directly from MTD http://www.mtdparts.com/ The sleeve hitch for the GT cost about $99.00 It is not the one pictured here http://www.mtdparts.com/webapp/wcs/...-and-attachments/lawn-mowers-tractors-riding/ Because the sleeve hitch for the Green GT above uses the tractors implement lift handle to raise and lower it. :thThumbsU
Thanks for the input Sargeant but when I called MTD they said none of the new Fast Attach parts will work with mine ?

And I'm not even sure if they did it would hold up if it's a lawn tractor any advise, besides getting another tractor which I would love to do but is out of the question right now.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Thanks for the input Sargeant but when I called MTD they said none of the new Fast Attach parts will work with mine ?

And I'm not even sure if they did it would hold up if it's a lawn tractor any advise, besides getting another tractor which I would love to do but is out of the question right now.
look for used equitment like c-list, ebay, ETC

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
I have no luck so far, and like I said I'm not even sure this thing could handle that kind of stress ?
It will handle bagger, snow blower, but not a blade or sheeve hitch. (GT are best suited for plows, Thats what I have for my 845 GT)

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like I will be in the market for a bigger tractor soon.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Looks like I will be in the market for a bigger tractor soon.
Keep a look out for MTD, yardmans, and whites. the larger models can have 3pt hitch front and mid PTO, Hydrolic lift, Sergent has a white GT2055 and a kwik-way loader on it.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Theres a few around here but people think their made of gold, and the other ones would cost as much as a new one to restore to decent running condition.

·
22,744 Posts
Theres a few around here but people think their made of gold, and the other ones would cost as much as a new one to restore to decent running condition.
Hate to tell you this but I just bought a Massey MF12 hydro on ebay last Saturday for $400. Picked it up on Monday, in Gladwin, along with a mower, snowblower, spring tine cultivator for the sleeve hitch, a front blade, home made wheel weights (good ones), a spare hydro rear end (no pump section) with turf tires, a spare gear transaxle with ag tires, and a bunch of spare parts from the gear tractor, including a pair of front wheels. Also got the original operators manuals.

Nobody bid on it until I did with 33 seconds to go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260635521006&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Four hundred mile round trip dragging my 18' flatbed, less than 13 hours and about $220 for bridges, gas , supper and customs. plus I bought 4 new tires for my MF7 at a Home and Farm? store for $110 in Gladwin. All in all, that's just about exactly what I paid for my first MF12 hydro.......... 34 years ago! All it had was a mower, blower, MF wheel weights and a cab. I sold it 9 years later for twice what I paid for it, but I kept the wheel weights and had already sold the cab for a hundred bucks.

I drove the tractor onto the trailer, but it needs battery work (corrosion) and the valves are noisy. That's okay, I just happen to have a complete spare HH120 sitting on the floor in my garage, freshly rebuilt........ 27 years ago. Fresh quarter century old oil and not a drop of fuel has been through it.

The gentleman I bought it from, bought it from his father in law's estate. His FIL bought it new in 1970 and the serial number checks out. It is in A-1 shape cosmetically. I got a steal!

Keep looking. They're out there, and not far away.

Oh yeah, my first MF12 got a FEL installed after I got it. Also a hydraulic lift 3PH. I still have all the parts. Guess what this puppy is getting next year! NEVER THROW ANYTHING OUT!!!!!

Bob :rauch10:

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hate to tell you this but I just bought a Massey MF12 hydro on ebay last Saturday for $400. Picked it up on Monday, in Gladwin, along with a mower, snowblower, spring tine cultivator for the sleeve hitch, a front blade, home made wheel weights (good ones), a spare hydro rear end (no pump section) with turf tires, a spare gear transaxle with ag tires, and a bunch of spare parts from the gear tractor, including a pair of front wheels. Also got the original operators manuals.

Nobody bid on it until I did with 33 seconds to go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260635521006&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Four hundred mile round trip dragging my 18' flatbed, less than 13 hours and about $220 for bridges, gas , supper and customs. plus I bought 4 new tires for my MF7 at a Home and Farm? store for $110 in Gladwin. All in all, that's just about exactly what I paid for my first MF12 hydro.......... 34 years ago! All it had was a mower, blower, MF wheel weights and a cab. I sold it 9 years later for twice what I paid for it, but I kept the wheel weights and had already sold the cab for a hundred bucks.

I drove the tractor onto the trailer, but it needs battery work (corrosion) and the valves are noisy. That's okay, I just happen to have a complete spare HH120 sitting on the floor in my garage, freshly rebuilt........ 27 years ago. Fresh quarter century old oil and not a drop of fuel has been through it.

The gentleman I bought it from, bought it from his father in law's estate. His FIL bought it new in 1970 and the serial number checks out. It is in A-1 shape cosmetically. I got a steal!

Keep looking. They're out there, and not far away.

Oh yeah, my first MF12 got a FEL installed after I got it. Also a hydraulic lift 3PH. I still have all the parts. Guess what this puppy is getting next year! NEVER THROW ANYTHING OUT!!!!!

Ok are you telling me this just to make me jealous ? joking

Wow what a deal, it looks pretty good and man did you get a steal on those tires.

Thanks for posting the name we have one about 45 minutes from us and I think I might just have to take a ride over and check them out.

·
22,744 Posts
I was afraid that you might think that, but I wanted to give you hope that you might find a great deal. I only search for MF tractors on ebay and CraigsList that are within a days drive each way, about 600 miles, and I see quite a few at that limit. Time and money put a severe limit on my bids. You would be closer for almost all of them, unless you live in the U.P. right at the top of Lake Michigan, then you would be closer to all of them.

Good luck in your hunt.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was afraid that you might think that, but I wanted to give you hope that you might find a great deal. I only search for MF tractors on ebay and CraigsList that are within a days drive each way, about 600 miles, and I see quite a few at that limit. Time and money put a severe limit on my bids. You would be closer for almost all of them, unless you live in the U.P. right at the top of Lake Michigan, then you would be closer to all of them.

Good luck in your hunt.

Your right and I will start looking on E-bay and Craigslist maybe I'll get lucky also ?

·
22,744 Posts
Your right and I will start looking on E-bay and Craigslist maybe I'll get lucky also ?
Never can tell. A few days ago there was a MF12 ('G' I think) on the Detroit CraigsList for $650 with blower, mower weights and chains. Not too bad if you're looking for a manual tranny. Listed July 16, in Clarkson.

If you have deep pockets, there's a Sears FF24 with FEL for $3500 in Gladwin, the mower, blower and some other stuff is available as well. It doesn't look too pretty, but it's a beast. I looked at it when I was down to get the MF12. It's listed as a Sears Bronco on CL, July 23 on the Central Michigan list. If you need parts for it, there's another one on ebay asking $90 starting bid in NW Wisconsin.

Good hunting.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Here is a MTD Link

1 - 20 of 24 Posts