My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is very mechanically inclined...has worked as a truck mechanic...and he has an idea for me to hook up a KwikWay loader to my 318...I mentioned to him that I was looking for a hydraulic pump that I could mount to operate the loader....he is insisting that I take a pump he had laying around from a rear lift gate from a trailer ...I haven't actually seen it yet, but it has 2 hoses and operates by 12 volt electricity...not a pulley ...is this a crazy idea ...or is it feasible?

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
He is very mechanically inclined...has worked as a truck mechanic...and he has an idea for me to hook up a KwikWay loader to my 318...I mentioned to him that I was looking for a hydraulic pump that I could mount to operate the loader....he is insisting that I take a pump he had laying around from a rear lift gate from a trailer ...I haven't actually seen it yet, but it has 2 hoses and operates by 12 volt electricity...not a pulley ...is this a crazy idea ...or is it feasible?
View attachment 2446579 View attachment 2446580
All the lift gates I worked on were powered up and gravity down IIRC. Does that pump allow for power both ways?

Not even sure if that matters or if it just needs hydraulic pressure and direction sorted out by the spool valves.

·
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There isn't a lot of reserve electrical capability on a JD 318 so need to see what amps it's going to draw.
I was concerned about that ...and the intermittent use it is actually used for vs continuous work...I guess it would not hurt to try it

·
Super Moderator
27,384 Posts
I had a quartz halogen light on my cab, and that drained the battery when the tractor was running. I think it was drawing only about 4.5 amps or something on that order.

·
21,499 Posts
I was concerned about that ...and the intermittent use it is actually used for vs continuous work...I guess it would not hurt to try it
Unlike the hydro, a loader is intermittent duty. It is used in short bursts of 1-4 seconds, usually with relatively long periods of 'rest' between bursts, and half of the time with gravity assist to reduce current draw. (What goes up under pressure, gravity will help to bring back down!)

From a practical perspective, the disadvantage is that the pump flow is not controllable. There are times when it is handy to have the loader arms rise as quickly as possible. There are other times when close quarters and/or expensive or fragile equipment makes it necessary to operate as slowly as possible. Feathering the valves on a GT loader takes lots of experience and is not for the faint of heart when setting a beam in place or pulling the engine from a car. It's a lot easier to reduce the flow rate from the pump by throttling the engine back to idle. There is no throttle on an electric motor driven hydraulic pump.

Another concern is the actual flow rate from the pump. Most are limited to about 2 gpm @1500 psi. That's fine for the close quarters work mentioned above, not so much if the job is to move 12 yards of gravel in a reasonable amount of time.

My last concern is with the size of the reservoir. Most such pumps come with their own reservoir sized for the task at hand, which is generally to operate one or two cylinders. There are usually 4 cylinders on a loader which can drain the reservoir of as much as a quart of fluid when all cylinders are fully extended.

Will such a pump work for loader duty? Absolutely! It can serve as a training device until the operator feels comfortable enough to handle a better suited engine driven pump. Would I use one? Only as a desperation move to get the job in progress done.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
Mark, check out some vids and reviews on the Wild Hare atv loader. Formerly known as the Groundhog. It uses one of these pumps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts