My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys with winter just around the corner or just feels like it. I am getting ready to put my new 55" blower on the BX25 I recently purchased. I realize that when I install the blower my hydraulic fluid level will go down due to the hydraulic lines and rams on the blower consuming fluid because it is new and never been used. My question is about the hydraulic fluid itself. The guy that delivered the BX to my house mentioned something about only using Kubota hydraulic fluid and nothing else ? Is this true ? I mean I always thought hydraulic fluid was hydraulic fluid. Is there something special about there fluid? I don't mind buying the fluid if need be but it's an hour north of my place and is kinda out of the way if I can use something else.
Another question I have is " how do these little BX's start in the winter?" Should I be investing in a block heater or will keeping it in an insulated shed be enough?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I dont know about the viscosity or effect on seals and so forth, but if its brand spanking new and under warranty, I wouldnt veer from OEM fluid until after warranty is over. Just my opinion, but an ounce of prevention may save some bucks down the road AND some headaches.

·
Registered
80 Posts
He probably mentioned Kubota Super UDT... it's worth having a gallon around for topping off now and then, or when you do your first service. If you just clean the filter you'll lose a little fluid and need to top it off.

Also if you find your front axle is really low (like many with new BXs) you can use that to fill up the front as well. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. Legbuh I have access to plenty diff fluid at work. I am a GM technician and get synthetic diff fluid all the time. It's 75w90 so it should work. As for the hydraulic fluid I just called the dealer and asked them about it. The guy I spoke to said that they used other hydraulic fluid other than kubota and the machine wouldn't move. I am wondering if this is a scare tactic or not. I am having some kubota fluid sent up just to be safe at least until the warranty is over. I read online that valvoline makes the fluid for kubota. Some people on other sites say that as long as it says kubota compatable then it is ok as well.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Boy, your fix'n to open up the proverbial can-o-worms :D The debate on hydraulic fluid for our Kubota's is timeless and never ending :D

Basically, the unwritten law of the higher the cost = the better the quality is just about accurate when it comes to tractor hydraulic fluid. Theres many testimonials w/the vast majority indicating that OEM branded Kubota hydraulic oil is the best, w/exceptions ofcourse.
The "better" exception would be to go w/the more expensive Chevron Syn fluid as those that use it claim better performance and lower whine in their BX's.
At the opposite end of the spectrum theres been quite a few that have went w/the cheaper TSC branded Traveller and JT5 hydraulic oils and went back to OEM and claimed the OEM gave much better performance and quieted the loud HST whine they got w/the cheaper oil.
Then, you've got the inter brand OEM battles :D
Some will sware to using UDT and only UDT
Others will sware to using SUDT and only SUDT
And now Kubota has released a new Syn hydraulic oil called UDT2.

UDT & SUDT can be mixed per Kubota and not cause any problems. I'm not sure about UDT2 but since it's Syn I would swag that it wouldn't be wise as regular UDT/SUDT would just water it down.
The basic differences on the OEM fluids are:
UDT, straight 20 weight hydraulic oil. Can be used in all Kubota tractors. Best in hot climes.
SUDT, 10w20 multiweight hydraulic oil with better flow @ both lower and higher temps over UDT.
UDT2, Syn hydraulic oil that I "think" is also 10w20 but I haven't seen any specs so I'm not positive. I do know that it is replaceing SUDT and is reputed to cost less than SUDT.

All I've ever run in my 2004 BX23 is SUDT and I've had no problems and do not even notice an HST whine unless I try to pull out w/the brake set or when I go up a hill in high gear.
You would probably be fine if you went w/another brand as long as it's SUDT compliant but, should you encounter an HST problem the dealer "may" try to blame it on the non-Kubota fluid.
I would recommend to ask the dealer which fluid he prepped your BX with (probably SUDT or UDT2) and use that fluid for top off's. I'd also swag that your implement was probably tested at the factory and will have some fluid in it. Could be UDT, SUDT or equivalent so I wouldn't expect you'll see much of a drop in the level when it's connected.
Get a qt and you shoul dbe good to go.
Dave

·
Registered
402 Posts
BXGuy,
Be smart and only use the Super UDT in your tractor. The BX25 starts easy, but I would use a block heater to help it in the winter. I use a magnetic block heater on my tractor during winter. A pic is attached of it stuck to the bucket to show the power of the magnet. I purchased it from a local auto parts store.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave I truly appreciate the in depth reply. I have chosen to stick with what is in the machine, and I hope it is the SUDT that is in it. I think that being purchased in Ontario Canada the dealer should have put the SUDT in just because of the temperatures we see around here and also the fact that I bought a blower for it at the same time.

AStanton I may just have to find me one of those magnetic block heaters for some assurance. I am currently putting an addition on my work shed to take it from a 10x16 to a 10x16with a 8x12 added to one end so I came keep the BX in a nicely insulated and heated area. I am hoping that I will have no troubles keeping all my stuff in this shed until I can afford a real shop.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,072 Posts
I'm in agreement with the others. You have a brand new expensive tractor and live up in the cold climate of Canada. Why mess around with another brand of hydro oil? Stick with the SUDT. You don't have to change it all that often. :fing32:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. Legbuh I have access to plenty diff fluid at work. I am a GM technician and get synthetic diff fluid all the time. It's 75w90 so it should work.
I don't think it was covered in the above post, if it was I missed it. But you might want to check I am fairly sure it came with the same hyd. fluid in the ft. axle that it use's in the rear and hyd. system.

At least my bx2200 did and that's what I refilled it with at the 300 hr. service.

Good luck with the new tractor, Wilson

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the reply wilson. I checked for manual and it says that for the front axle it uses kubota Super UDT fluid*or SAE 80-SAE90 gear oil. And in the transmission only SUDT. I will find out what they put in it from the dealer during the PDI and just use that for now. I would only use the gear oil if it was last resort for now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts