My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to change the oil on my freebie Murray rider today (which I did) when I discovered it does not have an oil filter. It's a 17hp B/S twin 42A707-2653-E1. I looked in the engine manual and it shows: "Engine without oil filter holds approximately 1-1/2 quarts...Engine equipped with filter holds..."

The parts manual shows three different oil filter adapters (although it lists a part number for only one of them). It even shows a remote adapter with hoses and an oil cooler, but no part numbers for either one.

I really don't like the idea of this engine not having an oil filter. So my question is, can I add the adapter and filter, and if so, where? Do all the blocks of this model have provisions for the adapter?

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Models WITH the oil filter were a bit of an oddity, Ive neverp ut eyes on one in 10 years of small engine repair....the fact is, the ones that did have it, had a sump, with an oil pump in it, that simply picked up oil out the sump...filtered it, and dumped it back into the sump.

Keep the oil at the right level...change it at the right intervals...engine will last many many years.

Ive got a Kohler Command CV426S that came in this past week on a newer rider, under 100 hours on it, full pressure lube, and spin on hi capacity oil filter...thrown rod...engine ran out of oil. All the filtering in the world doesnt do a bit of good if the oil isnt kept full, and changed..

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,173 Posts
"fact is, the ones that did have it, had a sump, with an oil pump in it,"

"Keep the oil at the right level...change it at the right intervals...engine will last many many years."

Good advice, no oil pump, no way to circulate oil thru filter.

Walt Conner

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
I wonder what they changed in the sump, to facilitate the oil pump that those oddball engines had, Walt? You been in one with a pump? It would have to be driven off the cam, and I dont know of any way to just, add a pump to this things, unless the casting was different in some way?

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
We had that Murray with the oil filter. I could not feel any pulsing on filter when engine was running like on a kohler. I remember you being surprised RED when I posted pictures of it!

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,173 Posts
I wonder what they changed in the sump, to facilitate the oil pump that those oddball engines had, Walt? You been in one with a pump? It would have to be driven off the cam, and I dont know of any way to just, add a pump to this things, unless the casting was different in some way?
I had a couple over the years but was never inside one. As said, they were very rare. The oil pump and drive system is very similar to that of the 28 & 31 series engines with some variation between the vertical and horizontal engines. They were FULL pressure engines with crankshaft & camshaft drilled.

From Manual - Engine Models 400440, 400770, 402440, 402770, 404440, 404770, 422440, 422770 and 462770, are equipped with a full pressure lubrication system with an oil filter

Check page 10, Section 8 of Service Manual. I could not get the Illustrations to copy to here.

Walt Conner

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,173 Posts
"Nice looking oil in that photo!"

Yeah.

They machined a slot in the end of he 28 & 31 series also to accept a short drive shaft to the oil pump, plenty of bearing surface left to support camshaft, don't recall about the V-Twins.

Walt Conner

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Only time ive seen cam/pump related problems is on the V-twin inteks, its best to remove the gerotor cover on the outside, install the sump, then put the gerotor back in...Ive seen instances where the pump drive didnt line up with the cam, and the started putting bolts in to "pull it down" and ended up breaking and bending parts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts