My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Outlaw Tractor Collector
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my most favorite GTs ever is the JD 140 and once I find mine and restore it I have thought about a possible engine swap (just for the heck of it lol) One of my most favorite engines is a horizontal shaft Kohler Magnum 18 HP Opposed Twin. So my question is could this engine fit in a 140? I dont really think it would just drop in mostly because I think it would be too wide. I have seen several 140s with VTwins and they just barely seem to fit. So what do yall think? Is there any way a Kohler Magnum 18 HP Opposed Twin could fit in a John Deere 140?

·
Penn State Puller!
2,796 Posts
There's a guy on YouTube who put the 18 HP Magnum in his 140. But he had to stretch the frame and added a few other things like a longer hood, 200 series side panels, etc. You'll have to stretch it out, not sure if you want to go that route. Is it just me, or does the Kohler Magnum sounds exactly like an Onan B43G?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
The 317 had a Kohler opposed twin.
I don't know it the Magnum 18 and the KT17 of the 317's are similar or not but the 317 and 140 are very similar as far as frame layout. There are differences to accommodate the engine and different fuel tank location etc but the hydraulics, tranny and dimensions are petty much the same.
Might be easier to mount 140 hood and pedestal on a 317 unless your capable of modifying the 140 frame to accept a twin. The 317's fuel tank might be handy with that twin Kohler up front. The 140 tank might not get you around the yard !
Good Luck, Sounds like an cool project.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts