My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gone through Five, A Huskee, Two Sthils and two Josereds. I use them maybe once or twice a month to clean up fallen trees in pastures. I lost two when A Hurricane blew through and a spent three days clearing fallen oak trees.

·
Super Moderator
10,567 Posts
What happens to them?..The only thing I can imagine is that you are not using the correct fuel mixture...I don't particularly care for Stihl, myself, but they are recognized as a good piece of equipment...Josered is the premiere saw.....not sure about Huskee

·
Super Moderator
37,121 Posts
I have a Stihl 026 Pro that I 've had since 1997, I used to have a wood-burning stove for the house and would cut maybe 10 - 15 cord a year with it and only thing I've done was had bar dressed, new chains and a tune up about once every 4 -5 years. Can still go out today and it'll run strong with just a few pulls. I agree, you must not have your mix correct, it is better to run slightly rich than lean on the mix.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,299 Posts
In a word, no. When you say "go through", what does that mean? Won't start? Seized up? Need more info to be of any help.

Reactions: Jere39

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I have gone through Five, A Huskee, Two Sthils and two Josereds. I use them maybe once or twice a month to clean up fallen trees in pastures. I lost two when A Hurricane blew through and a spent three days clearing fallen oak trees.
Do you use the correct oil to gas mixture?
Do you use premixed fuel?
Do you use fuel stabilizer in your gas before mixing in oil?
Are you running out of bar oil before gas?
Are you hitting the ground with the chain?
Are you pinching the chain or blade?

Need more description of what you think is wrong with them. Maybe some of the above questions will help.

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Maybe tether the chainsaw to yourself, or your vehicle, so you don't lose them. Course, if it's tethered to the vehicle, hopefully you check the rearview mirror often enough that it doesn't get too damaged...

And put your name/address/phone number on it. Many people are honest enough to phone you and return it when they find it.

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
Been using the same Poulan junker for 20 years and can't kill it. You want to borrow it?

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I've had a chinese redmax clone chainsaw for 5 years. I lost the first one to a flood of sorts. It got wet and seized. It was a 58cc model. 2nd one is a 62cc. 2 pulls and they come to life

·
Banned
355 Posts
Lost ? gone through ?
No idea at all what you are talking about.
I have a Stihl 08 from around 1968 and in wood cutting season, customers que up to borrow it.
Can't sell it because they are illegal down here due to no chain brake.
Hot the stihl we bought in 1984 when we moved to the mountains & had a fuel stove for heat.
Loan it out to customers who break theirs & desperately need it fixed while I do the repairs.
Got a Pro Macs 600 / 650 that are used for the same purpose.

·
Registered
117 Posts

Need more description of what you think is wrong with them. Maybe some of the above questions will help.
Not sure what you are saying but I have owned two Stihl, Husky, and Efco (John Deere rebranded) saws and have run them since the late seventies. Anyone of the four would be ready to do a days work in a moments notice. The above items are great and I would add getting a (or two) good 3-in-1 file and using it regularly, they do not sharpen themselves.

Is it normal to go through 5 saws in two years? Not in the world I live in and I am hard on my tools but I also maintain them.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
— if you don’t mix the proper amount of oil with the gas, it will either overheat and seize or the plug will foul with too much oil.
— premixed fuel is higher octane non Ethanol gas. Most chainsaws that sit end up with carburetor problems due to the separation of the Ethanol gas separation.
— if you add fuel stabilizer in the proper amount, you can get reasonable operation.
— if you run out of oil before you run out of gas, you’ll probably overheat the bar and it will fail.
— if you hit the ground while sawing, the chain will dull and if you continue trying to use it, you’ll likely cause the bar to fail.
— pinching the bar will press the groove closed and the chain and bar will overheat and fail.

Not sure what you are saying but I have owned two Stihl, Husky, and Efco (John Deere rebranded) saws and have run them since the late seventies. Anyone of the four would be ready to do a days work in a moments notice. The above items are great and I would add getting a (or two) good 3-in-1 file and using it regularly, they do not sharpen themselves.

Is it normal to go through 5 saws in two years? Not in the world I live in and I am hard on my tools but I also maintain them.
See possible answers to questions above.

I wouldn’t have expected to have to explain why I asked all the questions, but any one of those situations would end in an unusable saw. Some of us take for granted things we were taught, but not everyone has been given that training. Not everyone has had good equipment to start with either.

I’ve only had two saws in my 54 yrs since leaving home so NO, saws shouldn’t fail quickly, but I don’t cut wood all day, every day either. If you do, you need a better saw than the rest of us part timers.

·
Registered
2013 Husqvarna R322T, JD 990, Poulan Pro
87 Posts
I still have the ProMac55 Mculough 5.5 Cu In that I bought in 1971 to cut timber to build my first house. It cut about 25 thousand feet of fir and spruce over the next 35 years and about 200 cords of maple and beech for our heat as well. It still runs and starts well. I broke the handle about 15 years ago and got one from a junked trade-in at a former dealer. NO engine work, no electrical work except spark plugs, I have gone through may chains 5 or 6 bars but not much else. I now have another saw, an Echo 4 Cu In lightweight as I am in my seventies and the ProMac is getting heavy. You are doing something wrong. Dont the dealers tell you what it is? A good chainsaw is a lifetime tool.

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
I don't know about that, it might be his #6 :eek:
But I hear ya; my little picked before it was grown top handle Echo bought umpteen years ago is like a Timex watch, takes a licking keeps on ticking.
Can't justify buying a new Echo saw with the Poulan still running. 😉

Reactions: rudedawg

·
Super Moderator
10,567 Posts
Can't justify buying a new Echo saw with the Poulan still running. 😉
In the '70s , Poulon was a top of the line saw...at that time around here its main competition were McCullough and Homelite ....I have a new Echo that I bought last Summer....it is a smooth nice cutting saw (y)

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
In the '70s , Poulon was a top of the line saw...at that time around here its main competition were McCullough and Homelite ....I have a new Echo that I bought last Summer....it is a smooth nice cutting saw (y)
I knew they were good before they got cost cut to death. Mine is a Wal-Mart special I bought in 2000. It never ran great until recently when I changed all the fuel lines, pulled the limiter caps, and set the hi/lo screws. Now it runs fantastic

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
By go through I mean they just don't work. Ill take what yall said into consideration. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
59 Posts
By go through I mean they just don't work. Ill take what yall said into consideration. Thanks for the help
Not to be pedantic, but what exactly does that mean?

Can the starter be pulled, or is the saw seized?
If it can be pulled, can it be started?
If it can be started, does it run poorly at idle or if revved while not cutting?
Does it run and rev well, but struggle to cut?

5,151 Posts
I have an Echo 510 and that baby is nice. Its a 16 inch about 15 years old. I use TruFuel in it. I have an electric Remington 14 inch and a electric Remington pole saw 10 inch they both are at least 20 years old. I don't even sharpen the chains. I throw them away and buy new ones.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If they don't work it sounds like you're not using stabilized fuel. The carbs will get gunked up and they won't start. If you're using regular fuel you need to run then dry in between uses. I have a 1975 Jonsereds that's cut hundreds of cords of wood and still runs like a champ.
Ron

Reactions: MARK (LI)
1 - 20 of 57 Posts