My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd just use this as a forum to keep family and friends up to date on what we've done to our home since we bought it in October 2009.

Me and the Mrs wanted something to keep the little one entertained and a place where he can bring his friends when he gets older, so we wanted space.

Boy did we get it. Classified as a full city block, we have an orchard and plenty of trees.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ran out of weather, then tackled the barn/shed/whatever the **** you want to call it. It's a 90x30 with two sections - one 60 feet long - the other 30.

Our plan is to gut the larger section and use it for something like a batting cage or storage that the boy can make money on. Both me and Mrs are busy folk away from home, so we're not going to do any farming stuff here, except for maybe renting out the two pasture lands...

Attachments

·
Member 800 post club !!
953 Posts
Wow, that looks nice. How much land do you have? Is that an old smoke house I see?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments - I wish it was an old smokehouse, but its a wellhouse with an old pump jack inside...

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,577 Posts
Looks like a place with all sorts of possibilities for you and your family. You have a good start on getting things in order and even have the beginnings of a vision for how it will meet the needs of a growing boy. :fing32:

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
That's heaven in my eyes as if you had seen my property just before we bought ours you would have RUN very fast. The only thing is the property was in a prime location for us, so we bought it.

When we bought our property of five acres it was a mess. I had in the contract to clean the property up as it had the shell of 14 cars on it. A half built log cabin "barn" , a RV awning, a 28' X 48' steel pole garage and a log cabin "shed" the place was a mess.

The Previous owner was a Realtor who bought it in a foreclosure auction and agreed to remove the cars and clean up all the scrap metal, the realtor got about half of the mess and gave me a additional $5,000 off on the price and I accepted the offer and had a junk dealer over the next day removing the the rest of the mess.

The RV awning was torn down and I had our 29' X 48' manufactured home put in and that was just the start of the whole process of re doing the property.

The log cabin barn I started to work on and gave up and after a minor earthquake had the north side pier blocks sink 6 inches, I tore down the building and used the wood for 6 years in my wood stove plus gave away over half of the wood to neighbors and friends for their wood stoves.

The shed ended up being tore down last year as I built a new 36' X 38' garage to house my 5th wheel and cars.

The 24' X 48' steel pole building I had to do a complete regrade to front of property and put in a proper driveway as the original owner had never put in a driveway to it. I also had to completely redo all the drainage as water was running across the inside of the garage. This past spring I finally got the steel pole building floor put into concrete.

It has taken me 11 years to get my property to reflect the image I wanted and it is something I am proud of now but gosh it has been work and sometimes I felt like to throw in the towel and now I am glad I did not.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Jackrabbit -

You definitely have a slice of heaven. Nothing like having a decent parcel of land and the ability and vision to turn it into something special.

You definitely did the right thing with curing the grading around the house. I can't believe how dumb some people are when it comes to grading.

Best of luck with your home!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, here's what happened over the summer. Got help from Mrs. Jackrabbit and hired out some skid steer help for the grading, but we finished everything up front except for a last set of top soil before we seed, and driveway rock to finish it off.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Boy, I can't believe it's been so long since I've posted my updates to the house.

DSC04471.jpg DSC04345.jpg DSC04470.jpg

Been quite a year and a half. Late in 2010, we cleaned up trees, brush and junk piles. Also reseeded a bunch of areas. The orchard is starting to get cleaned up, with blueberries and rasperries already in. Pear and cherry trees come in this spring, along with strawberries. Rhubarb is along with the barn.

We went through two big dirt piles on the property to landscape around the house. Now I need to have the seed come in, but we had no snow this year so I don't know how the seed I planted in fall would do...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Last two winters have toyed around inside the barn as well. Just starting to get to the dirt below.

Will be very good with all of the leftovers from the animals long gone. Will dig that stuff up and lay down new gravel for a base. Half of the barn is done. Nice and clean on one end.

DSC04475.jpg

I'm not showing you the other end because that's where all of the stuff I'm keeping is at. I'll start ripping up the rotten wood floor on that end this weekend.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
By far the biggest project last summer and fall was the garage. 36x28 and 6" walls.

Already full of homestead stuff. Negotiating with myself to keep or chuck.

Had a bunch of help from my brothers-in-laws and their kids. What a project...

DSC04372.jpg

1 - 20 of 37 Posts