My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was removing the old cracked and chipped black paint from my 332 Yanmar valve cover when I discovered that it was a high quality aluminum casting. I took it over to my buffer wheel and gave it a buffing and it shined right up. Old hot rodders like me have an affinity for polished aluminum and I decided to leave it polished instead of re-spraying it black. What do you JD nuts think?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Re: Is it a sin to not paint a 332 air filter?

I like the clean aluminum look.

·
Registered
403 Posts

I like the polished look, myself.

·
Registered
676 Posts

:fing32:Looks real good.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts

Looks good to me :fing32:

·
Super Moderator
33,699 Posts

Looks good! Will it corrode some without a protective finish?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts

Its got my vote. :fing32:

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts

I like it a lot, but I would do the block to match.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts

Valve cover looks good like that, but really the Air filter should be painted. LOL

·
Registered
1,625 Posts

Well don't paint the air filter....I would paint the air filter housing!

·
Registered
626 Posts

That valve cover looks good, spray it with some protective clear coat.

·
MTF mile high club member
5,919 Posts

Nice unique look. Ditto on the clear coat to keep it looking nice. :fing32:

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts

The air filter shouldn't be painted, just in case a flake of paint gets past the filter into the intake.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Yeah, I meant to say valve cover but was thinking about the air filter when I was writing the piece. As we all know you cannot edit the title once it has be posted so I was stuck. The issue with the air filter was one which I had with my last 332. I had the throw away kind not the element replaceable type and was not happy with the cost of $35 for the throw away model which I thought was a rip off. So I took the old knife and hack saw out and disassembled the throw away model to see why it was a throw away. I found out that they have glued all of it together so that it is not possible to replace the element and keep the canister. They were wrong! I found a K&N reusable filter that is the exact same size as the glued in one and it can be removed for cleaning. The secret is to slice off the rubber band on the engine end of the housing and then cut each spoke on the other end with a razor knife so that the spokes are still there but are not securing the element to the housing. Then I slipped a knife into the engine end and worked it all of the way around so that there was no glue or attachment to the element inside. Then I banged on the spoke end and out came the filter. Of course it was glued to both ends and I hacked sawed it off both so that the two ends are nice and flat. I am keeping the two canister ends and the new K&N will be inserted into the canister and connected to the engine intake through the normal black rubber intake. The K&N was $34 and can be washed and reused for several years and the throw away model is $32 PLUS $8 shipping. So at the end of the first year I will save $6 and the next year it will total $46. If I had gone with the other type replacement filter canister the element is $22 plus shipping and the housing is another $40 plus they want me to buy the clogged filter indicator for another $40. I'll send some pictures of the conversion next week when I get the K&N. I'll admit it, I'm cheap!

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
If you accidentally do that with a Title again, or anyone, you can pm a Mod and we can edit for you.:fing32:
Now then, the Valve Cover looks excellent as you have it. :bananapow

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
:fing32:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts