My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to look at tractor this weekend it is a Bolens but...the guy is selling it as a 1250. He said someone called him the other day and told him it is a 1455 not a 1250..
The man he bought it from told him it was a 1250, and it does have a 12 hp engine...how do I know for sure which it is.

I have 1 lo res picture...
any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Chris :thanku:

Attachments

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
I actually e-mailed that guy, and made him an offer, which he declined.

I'm betting with the 12 HP it's a 1250, you often see 1250's with a upgraded 14 HP in them, I've never seen a 14XX with a 12.

There are a few here that might be able to say for sure with that photo, but I'm not so sure.

What he is asking for it seems OK, but I did not want to pay that much. I've already got way too many already. :trink39:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to pay what he is asking either...although it is half what I sold my 1050 for last year.
My 1050 was beautiful and had the hydro ram too.
I'm gonna try yo look at it this weekend..Im gonna take a battery with me..lol

·
Registered
704 Posts
PM wilburj, he is the unspoken authority on older Large frame Bolens. He will be able to tell you what to look for to help id that one. From what I have learned from him, the rearend "BOLENS" embossment on the back casting is the easiest way to identify them. The 1250's have sunken letters on a raised surface, the 1476's have raised letters, but I'm not sure about the 1455's. Jerome can sort that out for you. He's a wealth of knowledge and willing to share.

·
5,523 Posts
PM wilburj, he is the unspoken authority on older Large frame Bolens. He will be able to tell you what to look for to help id that one. From what I have learned from him, the rearend "BOLENS" embossment on the back casting is the easiest way to identify them. The 1250's have sunken letters on a raised surface, the 1476's have raised letters, but I'm not sure about the 1455's. Jerome can sort that out for you. He's a wealth of knowledge and willing to share.
Thank you for saying that I try my best to get to know these tractors and the best thing about it I get to help you guys. :trink39:

Ok so one pic makes it hard to tell you 100% what it is.
I think 65% that it may be a 1250 and 35% its a 1455.
First off why I think it is a 1455 it has a black steering wheel and the foot rest dont look like the cast ones the 1250 came with.
Second why it may be a 1250 is the motor its 12HP wis like ken said I never seen a 1455 with a 12HP wis in it.

I could go on all day on how to tell them apart and wright a big long post but if you email me your number I'll call you and tell you all about them over the phone.

[email protected]

·
Registered
282 Posts
I personally would like to read the big long explanation of the differences and similarities of the two. But if you want to keep it to yourself I understand. Lol

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I will put my money on it being a 1455. The engine air cleaner is just like the one on the 1455 that I just finished restoring. I don't know what that hood ornament is but on mine there is a hole in the same spot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
by the picture- i can`t see the "cruze control " pedal deal the is under the driver side foot-rest- the 1250 had the thick "disc" under the footrest that a rod went thru to kinda hold the hydo pedal from moving, my 2 1455`s don`t have that -they are just mounted solid to the frame

·
5,523 Posts
by the picture- i can`t see the "cruze control " pedal deal the is under the driver side foot-rest- the 1250 had the thick "disc" under the footrest that a rod went thru to kinda hold the hydo pedal from moving, my 2 1455`s don`t have that -they are just mounted solid to the frame
You can see that in the pic?

If it does have that its a 1250.

·
5,523 Posts
I will put my money on it being a 1455. The engine air cleaner is just like the one on the 1455 that I just finished restoring. I don't know what that hood ornament is but on mine there is a hole in the same spot.
The 1250 and 1455 used the same air cleaner

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
If that is a 1250 someone has done a lot of changing things around on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the responses...

The cruise control setup sounds fairly bulletproof
wilberj I will take you up on that if I cannot figure it this weekend.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Im pretty sure thats a 1455. The foot pedals are stamped steel, From the picture (even zoomed in) I see no cruse control. I also see the Hydro sticker on the side of the dash which 1250's didnt have.

895 Posts
i see white paint on the frame rails and the steering wheel is black so it seems like a 1455 to me

·
Registered
156 Posts
Been reading along here,
laidback, did you buy it?

I just looked at three Bolens large frame tractors with S14D motors that were painted the same way as the one you found on CL.
I'm trying to figure out if the red paint is factory or if someone took a ton of time and repainted all three of these way back when.
They're the same color red as the one you found, have the same black wheel, and have no Bolens logos at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts