My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldnt find any info online that clearly stated if they were or not, they still have a website but it aint too usefull. Was wondering if anyone one here had any info.
Thx

·
Registered
4 Posts
No ingersoll is not still in buisness. Central power distributors are contracted to build oem parts. Been this way for a while.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all i can say thenis that sucks a LOT. To think that Colts legacy ended because of some moronic management that did nothing until it was basically dead and then sold it to a company that had the effort but not the money. Shame.

·
Super Moderator
35,219 Posts
all i can say thenis that sucks a LOT. To think that Colts legacy ended because of some moronic management that did nothing until it was basically dead and then sold it to a company that had the effort but not the money. Shame.
Think you got this in the wrong thread!

·
Super Moderator
35,219 Posts
My response was to the recent sale of Colt Firearms to a foreign country, thought maybe you were intending to post that there as it is more recent.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i made this thread thing about Ingersoll asking if it was
Yeah...but the purpose of this Forum is to discuss tractors...not management or their decisions
i made this thread to ask if anyone has info on if ingersoll was still around. im pretty sure im within all rights to talk about the mis management of said company that made tractors on a tractor forum.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Brands only vanish because they are no longer being sold in sufficient numbers to make enough profit for the makers / owners .
It is the buying public that causes a product to vanish not incompetent management , although the latter will hasten the process.
Ingersoll was the victim of the cheapness of the buying public who en mass bought cheap HF products rather than quality Ingersoll products .
Every time you open your wallet there are consequences , eventually the buying public will work this out hopefully before their selfishness & greed purchase the USA ( & OZ ) back into the third world. You can add Tecumseh , Noma , Murray , Onan , Honda to that list just to list a few off the top of my head.

·
Super Moderator
32,113 Posts
Brands only vanish because they are no longer being sold in sufficient numbers to make enough profit for the makers / owners .
It is the buying public that causes a product to vanish not incompetent management , although the latter will hasten the process.
Ingersoll was the victim of the cheapness of the buying public who en mass bought cheap HF products rather than quality Ingersoll products .
Every time you open your wallet there are consequences , eventually the buying public will work this out hopefully before their selfishness & greed purchase the USA ( & OZ ) back into the third world. You can add Tecumseh , Noma , Murray , Onan , Honda to that list just to list a few off the top of my head.
It is pretty true. Frankly the last of the Ingersolls were the last of a dying breed.. Cost wise there was not a huge difference between them, and a 4wd subcompact. They were an amazing tractor... but their market changed and left them.

·
Super Moderator
9,331 Posts
i made this thread thing about Ingersoll asking if it was

i made this thread to ask if anyone has info on if ingersoll was still around. im pretty sure im within all rights to talk about the mis management of said company that made tractors on a tractor forum.
From what has been presented, it does not seem that they met their demise over poor management...no one said they were poorly run

·
Registered
348 Posts
It is pretty true. Frankly the last of the Ingersolls were the last of a dying breed.. Cost wise there was not a huge difference between them, and a 4wd subcompact. They were an amazing tractor... but their market changed and left them.
There is a cycle for consumer durables that is almost universal
A new product hits the market
BEcause it is new, has little competition and usually has a big R & D overhead to recover the profit level is high .
Other people look at the new product & work out there is a 150 % mark up on raw production costs ( because they did not do the R & D ) so if the market looks big enough they enter production thus the original maker has to either reduce price or convince the buying public that their Do-Dad is worth the extra money .
This process gets repeated at infinitum till the market is at saturation level .
When the product was new, the public took a keen interest in it so they digested lots of technical material before they made their purchase decision.
Competition works here as each maker strives to make a better Do-Dad at a better price.

Once at saturation level the only way to increase turnover is to merge or buy out the competition.
At this time, competition & free market systems start to fail.
The Do-Dad is now a common place item, people loose interest in the technical aspect so things like colour, extras & price become the determinant factors.
Finally you end up with only 1 or 2 dominant makers , much like the domestic mower industry now days.
At this point the free market system has totally failed, competition is limited to producing the absolute cheapest Do-Dad and whichever Do-Dad is the cheapest will prosper while quality Do-Dads will be relegated to bit players chasing the 5 % or so of purchasers who know the product & want quality.
That is where the mower industry is at now days and why within the next few years every mower will be made in SE Asia or at the best locally assembled from assemblies made in SE Asia if & only if the freight costs cause the locally assembled mower to be cheaper to produce than the fully imported one.

I have 2 customers with original Bolens Dura Trac mowers which verge on being sub-compact tractors and a latter model built after the Troy Bilt take over and the difference when you get under to do repairs is staggering. I would rate them as avarage Garden Tractors and of course once Troy Bilt got taken over it got dropped in favour of rubbish mowers masquerading as Garden Tractors.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i a
i agree, but also the second to last parent company ignored investing money for any improvements, research, new designs, and advertsing. thus leading to becoming outdated and unknown to many new potential buyers. Eastman Didnt have the funds either. Its sad though when their design leads back to basically the first hyrostatic mower/ tractor. They didnt have any dealership deals with any big brands, case ih in some places use sell Cub Cadet and/ or Kubotas to fill that spot. The design probably wasnt attractive enough to gain any profitable contracts, thus also leading to lack of awareness and sells. Money Turns the world sadly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From what has been presented, it does not seem that they met their demise over poor management...no one said they were poorly run
you linked the wiki article which says, and i quote "Jack Ingersoll sold his company to the German consortium Rothenberger Group. Rothenberger's did little to promote the Ingersoll brand during their ownership, and the company began to slide slowly into oblivion. By the end of 2004, it was all over and Ingersoll filed for Chapter 128 of the Wisconsin Statutes that govern bankruptcy." aka POOR MANAGEMENT.

·
Registered
348 Posts
bad management will hasten the process.
There is also a class of company that will buy an undervalued business for less than it's real costs then run that company into the ground sucking up every cent they can then liquidate, usually owing a large amount to creditors & the tax man.
Got a lot of them down here.
A very profitable business plan .
When any brand is reported to be in financial trouble, the day traders jump in and short sell the shares to junk bond value.
Then a company with some good credit or spare cash can hoover up the shares for a small fraction of the actual value of the business and announce a take over .
The brand will get an instant uplift in sales from the sentimental section of the market to help the brand back to its former glory days .
New owners suck in those profits then sell out or run it into the ground once the sentimental bounce subsides .
In either case, a lot better return than putting you cash in the bank .
And yes it is all about the money

·
Registered
678 Posts
Bert,
What is the difference between the earlier Bolens Dura Tracs and the later TB GTX 20's?
Other then the switch from the 2 cyl opposed to the OHV vee, what is different?
Dan

I have 2 customers with original Bolens Dura Trac mowers which verge on being sub-compact tractors and a latter model built after the Troy Bilt take over and the difference when you get under to do repairs is staggering.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Everything is thinner
IT is actually an 18 but that should not make any difference.
Deck lift is a lot weaker
Wheels were narrower
All sorts of those annoying cheapening things that you bon't notice till they are side by side.
One had replaceable bushings in the deck lift, the latter one just had plain holes
All that sort of stuff.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts