My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
I agree with a lot of what has been said about the X380. It's a good machine and currently I'm working parts at a JD Dealer. It's interesting to see the sales guys sell a mower to someone and then look over to the service desk and hear what they are telling other customers about similar sized mowers and the issues the customers may be having.

The trans in the X380 is much better than the lower X3's which is a good thing. Maybe that is plenty for years of good service. At the same time I'm a fan of overkill because you rarely get let down by a machine designed for more than what you plan or expect from it. If you buy a cannon to kill gnats with, you'll be sure to kill them every time and your neighbors will grunt and laugh at you which doesn't hurt when you choose to work the machine and do something that the lesser machine should not be rated to do.

Is overkill for all of us, heck no. Is it nice to know that you are barely working a machine and therefore it'll give you less issues for years to come...sure is. I've worked with "just enough" and "overkill" that would out grunt Tim. You need to figure out your budget and which is best for you after considering all the advice you've been given.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
So A quick review of this thread, guys with X540, X720, X485, X580, another X540 and a 2305 all are telling you get more tractor!! See anything in common here? Keep in mind guys on this forum mean well, but almost always “upsell” people on this forum, if left unchecked it wouldn’t be long before someone tells you to get a 700 series or a SCUT – half or more of these guys probably never even drove an X380.

Original question was is an X380 enough for my yard—and answer is unequivocally it is. Is a X500 series better yea, but that wasn’t the question. An X380 should handle your yard for 25/30 years

As for the slope, common sense should prevail, -You have a small section near retaining wall that exceeds recommended slope for even a X7xx series tractor( where slope is 20 degrees) I don’t care what you have you mow the steep part of your lawn with worn tires, wet grass etc you are asking for trouble

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a similar yard and I use an X390 which is almost the same tractor as the X380. It does the hills with no trouble or hesitation and the one inch axles are sturdy enough to handle the work. The K58 is a big improvement over the old K46 and most of the issues it had are gone and it is serviceable with a filter. People on this forum have a tradition of telling people to buy bigger than they need in case they want to add a freeway to their home in the future!
I, too, have an X390 and agree with everything inspectorudy wrote.

~Lee

·
Registered
727 Posts
So I quick review of this thread, guys with X540, X720, X485, X580, another X540 and a 2305 all are telling you get more tractor!! See anything in common here? Keep in mind guys on this forum mean well, but almost always “upsell” people on this forum, if left unchecked it wouldn’t be long before someone tells you to get a 700 series or a SCUT – half or more of these guys probably never even drove an X380.

Original question was is an X380 enough for my yard—and answer is unequivocally it is. Is a X500 series better yea, but that wasn’t the question. An X380 should handle your yard for 25/30 years

As for the slope, common sense should prevail, -You have a small section near retaining wall that exceeds recommended slope for even a X7xx series tractor( where slope is 20 degrees) I don’t care what you have you mow the steep part of your lawn with worn tires, wet grass etc you are asking for trouble
Agree 100%. In fact you don't even NEED an x3. Which is evidenced by the fact that you've been mowing it with a push mower.

Put your money somewhere else. if you want the X3 get it but do not spend your money on X5 they don't even need.

I mowed a hill much steeper than yours and much more yard with a little John Deere 170 for about a year I only upgrade it because of the amount of yard (5 acre) not the hill. I did put a set of Carlisle bar tires on it for traction

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
...guys on this forum mean well, but almost always “upsell” people on this forum, if left unchecked it wouldn’t be long before someone tells you to get a 700 series or a SCUT
My FIL is an awesome guy but he bought the "Tool man" mentality hook line and sinker and has overdone me and my wife many times over the years with well meaning but unusable gifts due to the oversized nature of them.

We were recently road tripping and discussing tractors as I have 24 acres and a need for one. I said I felt like I needed 20 PTO HP to do what I needed. About that time we passed a place with some JD farm eqpt sitting there and he said " Why not just get an 80HP cab tractor with AC. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing" Followed by---I kid you not--the Tool Man grunting.

·
Parts collector
2,770 Posts
My FIL is an awesome guy but he bought the "Tool man" mentality hook line and sinker and has overdone me and my wife many times over the years with well meaning but unusable gifts due to the oversized nature of them.

We were recently road tripping and discussing tractors as I have 24 acres and a need for one. I said I felt like I needed 20 PTO HP to do what I needed. About that time we passed a place with some JD farm eqpt sitting there and he said " Why not just get an 80HP cab tractor with AC. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing" Followed by---I kid you not--the Tool Man grunting.
ha ha ha! With 24 acres I would have bought it. :tango_face_devil:

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Now that I am an old man, I no longer have the "Best you can buy" mentality that I had as a younger man. I always bought the top of the line tools and now looking back I realize that with the rapid development of electronics, my old tools are sitting on the shelf covered with dust. Now I buy Ryobi and their battery ONE and have a bunch of their junk. It works very well and Home Depot will take back anything that fails. I have their blower, edger, trimmer, drill, hammer drill, recip saw, skill saw, 41/2 grinder, impact driver and a bunch of their batteries. But the best thing I have bought in the last year is the Milwaukee battery wrench. I bought the weaker one first and then took it back to HD and got the stronger version. Man, that thing has saved me a ton of time. The bottom line is that buying the best when you don't really need it is not the best idea. If you are in a business then it might make sense to buy the top line for durability. Similarly, there is no need to buy bigger when you do not need it in the mowing game if all you are going to mow is your own yard once a week.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The X390 is on sale thru the 15th of July..

Snag it quick!
My word I had no idea those things cost that much. I would take three grand and put it on a hustler raptor or something like that for three quarters of an acre.

There's a hydro motor on both rear wheels so there's your positive traction.

You can go up that hill with no problem
I've mowed many hills with zero turns

Take the other two grand and put it into your hobby

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
My word I had no idea those things cost that much. I would take three grand and put it on a hustler raptor or something like that for three quarters of an acre.

God bless you if you mow a 20 degree slope with Zero turn!! Gentle hill no problem-- a slope, noway you catch me on ZT - seen what can happen on hills to zero turns.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
...and your 2305 weighs how much? 2000 pounds or more? Of course, it will rut wet turf.

Here we are discussing a 500 pound lawn tractor.
2305 is 1600lbs in mowing configuration. Yea sounds heavy. But any machine can tear up a lawn, depending on soil type and condition. ATV tires are the answer only if your lawn can take the abuse.

Bottom line: there is a reason they invented turf tires and their tread pattern, and put them on lawn tractors.... otherwise everyone would be selling high-traction tires for lawn tractors and marketing how safe their machines are on slopes and wet grass....

·
Registered
475 Posts
2305 is 1600lbs in mowing configuration. Yea sounds heavy. But any machine can tear up a lawn, depending on soil type and condition. ATV tires are the answer only if your lawn can take the abuse.

Bottom line: there is a reason they invented turf tires and their tread pattern, and put them on lawn tractors.... otherwise everyone would be selling high-traction tires for lawn tractors and marketing how safe their machines are on slopes and wet grass....
I felt the same way until I put HDAPs on my GX345 for winter use fully prepared to buy turfs for the summer. I've been pleasantly surprised as to how gentle they are on my lawn. Paradigms change....

And yes, HDAP's are not for everyone but the consensus on this thread seems to be that the OP might need to make some compromises given the slope of his yard.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts

I felt the same way until I put HDAPs on my GX345 for winter use fully prepared to buy turfs for the summer. I've been pleasantly surprised as to how gentle they are on my lawn. Paradigms change....

And yes, HDAP's are not for everyone but the consensus on this thread seems to be that the OP might need to make some compromises given the slope of his yard.
My experience is in having used ATV tires for 2 years mowing 2-3 acres a week. Cub XT3 1000lbs. Land is hilly and rocky and has 1 muddy drainage ditch.

I spin my ATV tires LESS than I spun my turfs and damage my lawn less. My ATVs just flat out don't spin where my turfs would spin every time I unloaded a rear tire.

In my drainage ditch the turfs would load with mud and spin. Then I'd have to muck around dragging it out making a mess and trenching the heck out of it. My ATVs sail right thru w/o turning unless you try deliberately to spin them.

The only time I've ripped a hunk of turf out (like people think happens all the time with ATVs) is when I was going waaay too fast around a tree on a hill where the roots push the mower to one side heavily. My turfs always spun there and I'd use speed to get thru. I found I don't need to speed past it with the ATVs and since I slowed down in that one spot I don't trench it.

So I've mowed ~100acres with my ATVs and I've ripped out 1 hunk of sod when going too fast around a tree.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I would for something with diff-lock or HDAPs even on damp turf like that.

·
Registered
727 Posts

God bless you if you mow a 20 degree slope with Zero turn!! Gentle hill no problem-- a slope, noway you catch me on ZT - seen what can happen on hills to zero turns.
The slopes in his picture I can mow it with my zero turn no problem.

You don't see John Deere riding mowers on the back of a professional landscape trailer do you those guys mow slopes all time with a ZTR.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

Think the operational weight of a 2305 is 1865 lb- depends on how its 'fitted" for mowing. Any way you slice it, a lot of weight for most lawns

As for turf tires your premise is off, The vast majority of LT’s sold are K46 or weaker trannys. Turf tires are designed to break traction ( slip) before it damages the tranny’s. So that’s why those type LTs have turf tires. It’s a design safety feature for the tranny. You put HDAP’s on a K46 you are asking for a premature failure of the tranny

I haven’t heard any problems with HDAPS on a K58/K62 transmission. The HDAPs are a good compromise, better traction than turf tires but much easier on lawn than the much more aggressive AG tires

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Think the operational weight of a 2305 is 1865 lb- depends on how its 'fitted" for mowing. Any way you slice it, a lot of weight for most lawns.....

....Turf tires are designed to break traction ( slip) before it damages the tranny’s. So that’s why those type LTs have turf tires. It’s a design safety feature for the tranny.
I've actually weighed my tractor in mowing configuration just for fun - on a trailer scale - it's 1650lbs +/- scale tolerance, qty of fuel, and not including my fat butt sitting on it... LOL!
Still - it is a lot.... agreed.

I've had HDAPs on my G110. I know they are a good combination of improved traction yet easy-on-the-lawn.

However I completely disagree with the statement that turf-tires are designed and installed "in order to break traction on weak tractors"..... because that's just silly. The true reason turf tires are designed the way they are, is quite different.....

Everyone's experience is different. I would never put ATV tires on my tractor in order to improve traction for mowing - unless I was maintaining a hay-field or a pasture. For tilling / plowing my potato patch?... sure!... digging around and moving dirt with the backhoe and FEL?... yea.... but never for lawn-care.

My lawn is far to precious to tear it up like that. And I have real ATV tires on my 2 ATVs - so I know 1st hand what happens - even when just going straight. Your experience may vary, but i know what I see and feel under-foot when walking bare-foot on my lawn.

For mowing?... I mow my hill, ditch, and flat lawn with multi-trac c/s tires and diff lock. Both on the 2305, and the lighter 455.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm in the x380 camp, mowed 2.5ac in Missouri for 27years with a LX188 with K61 tranny and never had an issue, no diff lock. Yes when the turf tires got worn I'd spin some but when I still had decent tread I never had problems. Buy HDAP's when you wear the turfs out. I have more yard and just as much slope. I now have an x540 with HDAP's and Difflock and love it but you don't NEED it IMHO

21 - 40 of 40 Posts