My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting nevous about snow and can't use chains on a decorative concrete driveway. Did get plastic skid shoes for my 47" blower to help. If I could trade for a X728 or X748 at a fair price, is it night and day difference what you can do with 4WD or can you rubber chain HDAPS etc and basically get by with 2 WD? My driveway does have some slope to it but not a mountain goat slope.... I do have wheel weights and 6 suitcases on the back...

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
A guy I worked with sold me this one after his first "trip" down his driveway (steep and paved).

DSC_00641024x566.jpg

He thought he was going to die, it slid so bad!!

My driveway is steeper, but, unpaved, I never had a problem.

I took it out on the paved road ONCE!! When I got to the hill, it did a 180 degree turn!!

Luckily "we" were headed home after the turn!!

I keep it off pavement when it snows.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I aired my Ag lugs down to 4 PSI on my wimpy little 2WD 318 (which has no diff-lock) and got by just fine pushing 14" of heavy snow. I have 65lbs fluid per tire, 50lb wheel weight, and 6 suitcases on the back.

You'll be just fine.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yes there is improvement with a 4wd but with a blower your not pushing much snow. Always keep the path in front of you clean, use plenty of weight, and stay on the pavement and you should be good. If you want a little extra insurance get HDAPS. Ice will be a different story but even 4wd will slip in ice without chains.:trink40:

·
Registered
444 Posts
i would think so!! my 4 wheel drive truck makes a huge difference pulling with the front wheels too. front drive really minimizes the need for all the extra weight and chains. If i could afford a 4wd and still have my loader i'd do it in a heartbeat

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
i would think so!! my 4 wheel drive truck makes a huge difference pulling with the front wheels too. front drive really minimizes the need for all the extra weight and chains. If i could afford a 4wd and still have my loader i'd do it in a heartbeat
Throw 500lbs of sandbags in the rear of the bed, and leave it in 2WD just to compare.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have to give a BIG yes the 4WD is so much better.
Not just for snow, but cutting grass on my hills, one can just push reverse peddel and my 728 backs up with spinning a wheel.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
4WD is a big difference over 2WD. 4WD also does better on ice, but if you get a lot of ice chains is the way to go. I started out with 2WD, then the next year I treated for my X728. The four-wheel-drive made a big difference and I'm glad I treated up.

·
Registered
444 Posts
not saying you can't get by with 2 wheel drive cuz i do and do just fine. You have to pay more attention and be more prepared without it , just saying the front drive sure is a nice ace in the hole to have when things get dicey.Very nice convenience to have. That said, i can also tell you when you get a 4wd stuck and you will, it is stuck!!

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,095 Posts
I plowed my long driveway with a few steep parts for 14 years with a JD 445 with wheel weights and chains. I never really had problems pushing snow though I admit I took smaller bites of snow on the up-hill path than on the down hill path. Occassionally, I'd push snow off the edge of the drive a bit too aggressively on the down-hill side, and get my front tires off the paving. I frequently found that my weight and chains and diff-lock could not pull those front two tires that were carrying the weight of the raised plow back up over the lip of asphalt. Depending on how cold it was, and how far from the garage, I'd either wrestle it into some form of submission, or get my truck and pull it out. Two winters ago I traded to an x728 with full-time 4wd. I kept the weights and chains in case. With all four wheel driving, I've never experienced an issue, even when I tried to duplicate my 445 front-wheel hang-up. I know the HDAP are very good in the snow, but those driven fronts walk right up over things that served as wheel chocks for the 445. YMMV

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
not saying you can't get by with 2 wheel drive cuz i do and do just fine. You have to pay more attention and be more prepared without it , just saying the front drive sure is a nice ace in the hole to have when things get dicey.Very nice convenience to have. That said, i can also tell you when you get a 4wd stuck and you will, it is stuck!!
Back when I lived in rural Mississippi, we used to say 4WD will get you stuck further from help then 2WD.

I won't argue it wouldn't be my preference as well, but when you consider my 318 plus all my attachments wouldn't make a 20% downpayment on an x748SE, I guess I'll just be more careful.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
:fing20: How many plowing contractors use 2WD pick-up trucks ??
None in New Hampshire :banghead3

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,431 Posts
My experience is with SUVs, but yes 4WD does make a difference... From what most people with a 4WD tractor say it makes a differencethere too. Why not try out what you have before you start talking a new tractor?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Yes 4x4 is night and day difference.... Worth another 4 or 5K though? To me at the moment NO.. I do have a 4x4 pickup though with mud grips to get me out IF I need it though and so far I haven't needed the truck.

However IF you put some HDAP's or Ags on that X700 air those tires down some and you get it stuck I want pics. Betting it would take 4 ft of solid snow or more with the X700 setup like that myself. If you get that much snow we want pics!!!! I think your sweating it for nothing and will be Pleasantly surprised at howmuch that X700 will do and then some.. :howdy::trink39::trink39:

·
Deere Owner
75 Posts
From my experience with 316s and 318s over many years: I did some damage to my driveway using turf tires and chains. So I switched to AG (bar) tires in the rear (without chains). The combination that worked best for me, even on inclines, was bar tires in the rear, and a weight box loaded with approximately 320 pounds of steel. It didn't matter if I used a plow or a snowblower, either worked fine. I found the limit to how much snow I could push or blow through trial and error based on whether it was heavy and wet or light and dry.

That said, I also own four-wheel drive tractors. Their capabilities are greater than two-wheel drive and allow you to reach higher limits of plowing or blowing deeper or wetter snow.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The posting by Jere39 sounds very similar to my experience. I bought a 425 2 wheel drive with turf tires new in 1997 and used it with a 54" front blade to push snow for 12 years. I live in the country and have very heavy drifting of snow to deal with. I had to be careful to avoid getting the front wheels stuck in deep snow over the edge of the driveway. I did not use chains, but had 240 lbs of weight hanging on the rear. There was only twice in those 12 years that I had to call for help.

Two years ago I traded the 425 for a X585 4 wheel drive with HDAP tires. I kept the 54" blade, but also bought a FEL. There is a very distinct difference between 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive. The front wheel drive on the X585 will walk me right out of those situations described earlier. However, that 2 wheel drive 425 served me very faithfully for many years, and with a little caution and planning on my part, I seldom got stuck.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
just a shame you have to go with the added expense of 4WD just to protect the decorative driveway... (sounds like 2D drive and chains would work otherwise)

Better put those skid-shoes way down too, in oprder to prevent the scrapper bar from doing damage, if it spans a high spot the high spot will be gone!

and BTW what is a decorative driveway?? stampkrete?? got any pics sounds interesting and EXPENSIVE.

BTW 2WD is just great and I don't even have a locking diff, but I would take 4WD in a second!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts