My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just reached 10 hrs on my new X720. I went to the JD dealer to get oil and a oil filter to do the first oil change. I didnt have the manual with me so I wasnt sure what to get. I did remember seeing in the manual 10W something. However, the dealer gave me the John Deere "Plus 50" 15w-40 oil. I questioned him on it remembering that I saw 30W. He said this would be fine. However, when I got home, I noticed that the manual and sticker on the underside of the hood say to use 10w-30. Would there be any harm in using the 15w-40? Temps are around 80 degrees here now in upstate NY. Thanks.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would suggest 10-30 also, especially if you will use the machine into cold weather.

·
Registered
618 Posts
However, the dealer gave me the John Deere "Plus 50" 15w-40 oil.
That's what I just put in my 2520. It was Plus 50 II 15w-40,but I think they're still pretty much the same.

Greg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went and bought the Turf Gard 10W-30 instead. I will return the 15W-40 to the dealer. Interestingly, the owners’ manual that comes with the X720 and the sticker under the hood state to use 10W-30. However, the Maintenance Reminder Sheet by John Deere (Which I found after buying the 10W-30) says to use the Plus 50 15W-40. See the attached sheet. Not sure why there is a discrepancy between the two. I will have to call John Deere and get this resolved. I did notice that the Turf Gard 10W-30 is recommended on the X500 series maintenance sheet. See Attached

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yeah but also on the 530 spec sheet it lists 2.4 qts as the oil capacity but everything else I've read says 2.1 I'd say Deere needs to do some proof reading. Oh well, I always use the dipstick and not spec sheets.

·
Registered
412 Posts
On my X728 owner manual on page #37
Engine Oil

Use oil viscosity based on the expected air temperature range during the period between oil changes.

The following John Deere oils are preferred:

• TURF-GARD™

• PLUS- 4™

Other oils may be used if above John Deere oils are not available, provided they meet the following specification:

• API Service Classification SJ or higher

But on page # 68 it states:
Recommended Lubricants

Engine Oil John Deere PLUS-50™

Engine Coolant COOL-GARD™ II PRE-DILUTED SUMMER COOLANT

Transaxle Oil (all models) John Deere Low Viscosity HY-GARD (J20D)

Front Drive Axle Oil (Full Time 4WD - HFWD) John Deere Low Viscosity HY-GARD (J20D)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts