My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently aquired an RPM Lawn Boy "Iron Horse", Model # 8FH13LB.

Does anyone know where I could find out what year this machine is, and any parts/repair manuals for it?

The machine is in decent shape. It appears to have been outside for sometime, but when it was used, it wasn't abused. The deck is solid (no cracks, divots or holes), and it even has the red flywheel shield with the raised Iron Horse icon on the front of it. However, it has no spark, and it appears to my untrained eye that there are some parts missing from the carb, like the throttle linkage (?) air cleaner cover, if it had one, etc.

I'd love to restore it, but I'd like to get it running first. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

·
4,275 Posts
Lawn Boyz said:
Does anyone know where I could find out what year this machine is, and any parts/repair manuals for it?
The machine is in decent shape. It appears to have been outside for sometime, but when it was used, it wasn't abused. The deck is solid (no cracks, divots or holes), and it even has the red flywheel shield with the raised Iron Horse icon on the front of it. However, it has no spark, and it appears to my untrained eye that there are some parts missing from the carb, like the throttle linkage (?) air cleaner cover, if it had one, etc.
I'd love to restore it, but I'd like to get it running first. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!
Keep watching. There are people here who own them.
By the way... :wwp: :wwp: :wwp:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lawn Boyz said:
I'll post some pictures, hopefully tonight.
No pictures tonight. My old Polaroid digital software is not compatible with Windows XP. Furthermore, it cannot be updated. So, I have a new HP digital model on the way. I promise, as soon as I get the new camera, I'll post the pics.

·
2-cycle Lawn-Boy wacko
1,927 Posts
Lawn Boyz said:
No pictures tonight. My old Polaroid digital software is not compatible with Windows XP. Furthermore, it cannot be updated. So, I have a new HP digital model on the way. I promise, as soon as I get the new camera, I'll post the pics.
:thThumbsU I look forward to seeing them!

·
Lawn-Boys and VW's
1,839 Posts
:wwp: :wwp: :wwp:

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Lawn Boyz said:
So, you got the camera yet? Huh? Huh? We are the pictures? :wwp: :sidelaugh
Just giving you a hard time. I have not been on much lately. Too much to do around here. Anyway, look forward to seeing the pics soon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As promised, here are some shots of my Iron Horse. A photographer I am not, and these are the first pictures I have taken with this camera. Tell me what you want clarified, and I'll take some new ones.

Attachments

·
4,275 Posts
Lawn Boyz said:
As promised, here are some shots of my Iron Horse. A photographer I am not, and these are the first pictures I have taken with this camera. Tell me what you want clarified, and I'll take some new ones.
It looks to me like you have a restorable Iron Horse there.
I would take it apart and get the deck and handle cleaned up.
(I would pull the plug, douse the cylinder with oil and pull the
blade back and forth gently to see if the thing is seized)
You can remove the carburetor plate to access
the crank and douse it with oil also.
Then again, I have no patience. The pictures are good.
Keep a photographic record of what you do.
We are addicts in need of a fix after all. :fing32: :woohoo1:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It turns over, and seems to have good compression. The handle is intact, and is rusty, but straight. The original green grips are still on it, and in decent shape! The muffler is in great shape, too.

I'm going to take some more pictures (handle, shrowd, carb area, bottom), tomorrow. Hey, I need the practice with the new camera. I'll snap some shots of my 8240, 7350 and S21ZPNB, too.

·
2-cycle Lawn-Boy wacko
1,927 Posts
Lawn Boyz said:
It turns over, and seems to have good compression. The handle is intact, and is rusty, but straight. The original green grips are still on it, and in decent shape! The muffler is in great shape, too.

I'm going to take some more pictures (handle, shrowd, carb area, bottom), tomorrow. Hey, I need the practice with the new camera. I'll snap some shots of my 8240, 7350 and S21ZPNB, too.
:thanku: Thanks for posting the pics. The muffler on that mower might be aluminum---the mufflers on most, if not all, "D" engines were aluminum. I don't know if the Iron Horse and the "C" engine had aluminum mufflers, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

I agree with Mike---that mower looks very restorable. Sounds like a good winter project for you (and a way for us to get our L-B "fix" during the off season :) ).

·
Lawn-Boys and VW's
1,839 Posts
looks like you have a good start there. Going to be some work but it will be all worth it when its finished. :fing32:

·
2-cycle Lawn-Boy wacko
1,927 Posts
That mower looks very good for its age. Restoring it should be a fun project. :fing32:

·
Registered
23 Posts

I have the scanned manual for an A13 Iron Horse engine. I am currently away on vacation. I also have other data for the mower. If you are interested email me and I will send ya a copy. Great mower. I am in the process of restoring an 8fh11lb.

·
Lawn-Boys and VW's
1,839 Posts
I think we would all enjoy reading that !!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts