My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saved an old C-12 2 cycle bricktop from the scrap dealer the other day, it runs pretty good actually, haven't done anything at all to it apart from add gas. But the head/barrel gasket is in pieces, and as it runs its either sucking or blowing air/gas etc out..you can see it plain as day when its running.

Pulled the barrel off, thinking I had a new gasket, but I don't. The piston looks pretty good actually, rings are free and clean, barrel is pretty much scratch free. So I was going to put it together with new rings I have and then do points/carb etc to get it ticking over nicely to keep as a spare runner.

Anyone ever made a barrel gasket for one of these? Looks reasonably tricky, and I know they have to go on a particular way. Is it thick gasket paper I need, and can I rub a thin smear of gasket maker around it too? Nothing to lose really. Guess they are totally different to the later D series?

Any ideas welcomed, have plenty of "spares" motors, would have liked to keep this one a runner if possible.

Thanks

Will try here in NZ to find a gasket but pretty much know there won't be any.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
I made about ten gaskets out of gasket paper I bought at a local auto parts supply house. The only thing was I had a new one for a guide to trace and then I just mass produced a bunch and they have been working rather well.

Its very do-able its just gonna take some time since you don't have a good one for a guide.

I can shoot a picture of the paper if you are interested but it won't be until tomorrow as I'm rather busy for the rest of the day here.

Neal

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Neal, no need for a photo as I can get the gasket paper easily enough here...looking on E Bay there are some advertised as fitting both the C12 and D series, is this correct? Much more chance of finding a new D series one if that's the case.

I will "copy" the new one too if I can find one..otherwise I'll have to find some patience and get the calipers out!

Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not sure what the actual part surface is like but I have a few gasket making tricks to share: Put the flange you want to make a gasket for, on a copy machine and simply copy it. Now you can cut it out and trace or use a pin to transfer the shape to the gasket material, by sticking the pin through the paper copy onto the gasket, carefully following the copy image line. Then cut out the gasket by following the dots. Another way is using a small hammer to bang an "image" onto the gasket surface, by hitting the paper while resting it on the part. The last way is to put a thin coat of grease on the part, then use the part as a printing stamp. You probably know all these but if not, maybe this helped a little.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have several NOS gasket sets in my stash of parts. Which gasket do you need? I may have it. Got a part number or picture?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the replies and tips, and Jimbird, I made a gasket thanks, will try that for now and see. Got another C-12 the other day which runs beautifully so will use that motor on this project. Many thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts