My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
old as my 9n
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was born the same year as my 9N Ford tractor, and without question it will outlive me. I've owned it for 36 years, and it's worth 5 times as much as it costs brand new in 1942. I work on many different brands of tractors; along with being a carpenter, master plumber and electrician, I do arc and acetylene welding, operate a metal lathe and milling machine, and saw mill to name a few of the skills I learned, mostly out of neccessity.
My moto is: "If it's broken and needs to be replaced, I've lost nothing if I take it apart and try to fix it." [I seperated the the case of a welded frame electric motor, repaired it, welded it back together and got another 5 years use out of a clothes dryer]
I hunt, fish a little, play golf poorly, never get bore or run out of something waiting to be repaired.:fing20:

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Glad you joined!
You should fit in nicely here, as a lot of us never run out of stuff to fix!:wwp: If you need easy Picture help
Be sure to Register for Your State!

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Welcome, Happy to have you here. I wish most of the other things I have were worth 5 times as much as they were when new. Post some photos when you get the chance.

Kirk

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Glad to have ya...

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would think you also have some good storys to tell about your tractor, I would love to hear some. Welcome to the forum:thThumbsU

·
Registered
79 Posts
Welcome. :MTF_wel2: Funny...I didn't think of it this way...but I was 3 yrs old when they made my '52 8N. It will most likey outlive me also. :swow:

·
old as my 9n
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your greetings. I'll get some pictures of my tractor soon.
It is a work horse not a show pony, and will still pick-up big logs since I rebuilt the hydraulic pump 6 years ago [ although some say you can't do much to increase it's lift capability, they are wrong. After I lapped in the spool valves, I could pick the front-end with the tires filled, completely off the ground. Of course you have to be careful to set it down softly, so you don't crack the axel ]. :thanku:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Welcome to bad you don't live closer we would get along great I think!!! Good to have another person here to help us out every now and then.

·
old as my 9n
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your greetings. I'll get some pictures of my tractor soon.
It is a work horse not a show pony, and will still pick-up big logs since I rebuilt the hydraulic pump 6 years ago [ although some say you can't do much to increase it's lift capability, they are wrong. After I lapped in the spool valves, I could pick the front-end with the tires filled, completely off the ground. Of course you have to be careful to set it down softly, so you don't crack the axel ]. :thanku:
Although it's a given, so I wasn't misunderstood; I should have said: "I was told outside of replacing parts, there was nothing that could be done to increase the pumps lift capacity, but they were wrong."

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Always nice to meet a fellow "jack-of-all-trades". My wife tells me I can fix anything and she keeps testing me on it too LOL. Yes your hydraulics can be improved upon. I have a pair of lift arms I made that allowed me to lift a 1200 pound round bale. Actually I picked up four of them (one at a time of course) and moved them into our barn. Had to have my 6' snow blade mounted up front to keep the wheels on the ground though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Welcome. Glad to have another "N" guy on board.

I redid my 8N back in 2008. So after that, getting bored, I had to find something else to do in retirement. So dug out the old 29 Model A Ford Pickup and redid that finishing it in early 2010. Hard to believe this old pickup is "older" that me by a few years and like you, I know it will outlive me. So though you all may like a picture of it. Due to the fact I messed up the pickup body back in high school days (1950's) I had to get a new body for it. Thus it is not a Huckster(peddlers wagon).

·
old as my 9n
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I doubt many people know what a huckster was, right after WW II ended my father was one, he drove an old Ford panel truck, but I don't recall the model year. Of course we still had an ice box and a gas engine on the old ringer washing machine. Still remember wanting to be the one who got to break the red dye packs that colored margarine.
We lived close to the cost and they'd do air raid drills, during the black outs with the sirens screaming, I could see the search lights though the shades as they tried to spot the planes as they flew over, and I'd get scolded for trying to peek out to see what was happening.
The church I go to is called Raccoon Ford Christian Fellowship, most people today don't know what a ford was, and can't understand why we would name a church, after some obsolete model of automobile.
Compared to then, there is a lot more danger for kids in the world today, they'll never know the kind of freedom from fear that we did. :fing20:

·
Registered
786 Posts
If I wanted to know where Raccoon Ford is I should drive around looking for 'coons with wet feet right???

Oooh that was bad!:sorry1:

·
old as my 9n
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I wanted to know where Raccoon Ford is I should drive around looking for 'coons with wet feet right???

Oooh that was bad!:sorry1:
That's where the name came from sure enough, seems they were often seen fording the Rapidan River there, by people using the ford themselves.
I remember fording a stream myself one time in my 53 Ford truck, the water was so deep it stalled the engine out. Unlike modern trucks, you could crank the engine with it in gear and the clutch out, so I pulled it out of the water
by pushing the starter button with the key off, so I could get it dried out.
You could build one of today's cars out of one of its fenders, the metal was so thick. I still have it, but haven't had it running for a number of years.
It's got a flat bed and 12 leaf springs under the rear axle, one time I loaded my 9n on it and moved it about 7 miles. It made the front end so light, it felt like I had power steering. Once was enough, so I decided to make a jig to hook up where the tire rod ends go, so I could tow it back home. I just tie the arms up, and it follows me where ever I go.

·
Registered
786 Posts
We had a '41 Chevy 1 1/2 ton grain truck with some extra high sideboards and I had it FULL of oats and let out the clutch too quick in "granny"gear,found myself looking up out the wind shield.Wonder I didn't blow a tire or break a spring when it came down after I hit the brakes.Come to think of it I almost did it with a '66 chevy camper coming up out of a state park in Alaska.

·
old as my 9n
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad you joined!
You should fit in nicely here, as a lot of us never run out of stuff to fix!:wwp: If you need easy Picture help
Be sure to Register for Your State!
OK, I upload some pictures. Old as my 9n:thThumbsU:thThumbsU

1 - 18 of 18 Posts