My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have just joined this site and I am looking forward to some learned discussions. I have recently just purchase a second hand Kubota BX2230 tractor (160 hours!!) with 60" under belly mower attached and I am gradually learning about it.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has fitted a proper alternator to the BX2230 to replace the dynamo? I have purchase an alternator that physically fits and I also purchase the proper Kubota wiring harness and other bits but when I join it all up I have no ignition - no lights, nothing? It seems like there needs to be an extra jumper lead in the main connection block - or something? When I revert back to the old wiring harness and dynamo everything works?

Has anyone experienced this or know how to help?

Thanks

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,557 Posts

We are glad to have you join us. There are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here at MTF, so enjoy all the different forums.
Check out ”Active Topics” near the top left of the page for all the latest activity.

Don't forget to register what State/Country that you are from..CLICK HERE

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Welcome aboard Ian.
You'll like what that BX2230 will do for you and @ only 160 hrs it's barely broke in. Matter of fact if those hrs are accurate it's gotten very little use over the course of it's approx 4 - 5 yr lifespan.

re. the alternator. Kubota makes a 40amp alternator kit that bolts right on up in place of the dynamo. It even uses the same belt which is a huge plus as that alone saves beau-coup labor to replace :D
The kit has a std part# and a Whole Goods part# and runs approx $200 up here in the States.
Std part# K2561-9862-0
Whole Goods part# BX7310; High Output alternator upgrade kit 480 Watts

re. the problem. I haven't seen a wireing diagram of the new kit so all I can offer is a couple swags (guesses)
1) The old regulator is not used with the new alternator and nust be removed as the kit includes an IC relay that replaces the reg and bolts in it's place.
2) There should be a heavy red wire that runs from the alt to the battery, this too should have been included in the kit.

I'm not sure what the IC relay does as I think the alt in the kit has a built in regulator, perhaps it's used to isolate the alt's the electrics with the key off.

Let us know how it goes.
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reply Dave,

The alternator is identical to the Denso Kubota use and it fits perfectly (and yes I am not looking forward to replacing my first fan belt). The wiring harness is from the Kubota kit (sold separately ) so is the IC relay. I am in the process of shifting houses right now so I might let is slide for a bit (give me time to think about). Seems to be a lot of wires going into the old regulator - so there must be a connection missing in the large connector. There is a solid red wiring going from the alternator to the starter - which goes back to the battery - and I have checked and I do have 12 v at the alternator terminal.

Regards

Ian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts