My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My name is Dan and I'm from MN. I've been lurking on your website for the last day and decided to join. I look forward to being part of the community here.

Anyway, the reason I scoped out this site is because of an interesting call from my uncle that I received a couple of days ago. He has an old Dixon lawn mower that has been in the family since it was new that he wants to get rid of and he asked me if I wanted it. I don't even have the model or year but from what I remember as a kid it was a 424 from about 1985. It has the 42" deck and I believe an 11 HP motor.

It has been mainly sitting for the last 4 years but it started up last summer. It has a new carb from 4 years ago along with blades and a few other things.

I was told that it needs belts and that it runs but when the handles are pushed forward it just creeps along. Could that be the belts that need replacing? I'm guessing that it will need new cones as well but I won't know until I see it.

So, if you were me would you take this mower off his hands? The only thing that I have to do is drive 2 hours in each direction and pick it up.

Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to fix the issue that it only creeps? Or what the issue is for that matter? Sorry that I don't have any further info but that is all that I was told. I need to let him know if I want the mower by tomorrow.

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
I can't answer your questions but will welcome you to the forum.

·
Snapper Lover
459 Posts
Sounds like the cones need replaced. Could be pretty expensive. Not sure on cost but that's a common replaceable part on those. You could replace them your self but from what I've been told that are a b!+(# to adjust. If the price is right then go for it. Probably will be a good mower for some time.

T.C.

·
Administrator
21,918 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Glad you jumped in.

Go and get the Dixon. If nothing else, you will get a chance to have a cup of coffee with your uncle and have a nice day trip. The mower may have something simple that needs repaired and you'll have it up and running in no time.

Keep the posts coming and a few pictures as well.

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :Welcome1:

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
:Welcome1: Dan ! I can't help you, but did want to welcome you to the site. If it were me, I think i'd make the trip, spend some time with uncle,and take a shot at renuvating it. Nothing ventured,nothing gained. At the worst, you could probably sell it for parts ? Anyway, good luck.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Welcome Dan! Our dealership sold Dixons up till the line was bought out by Husquvarna. We still service a lot of the ones we sold over the years. It could be belts,the chain drives may need adjustment or it could be the cone drive is worn out. We haven't replaced cones on one for several years but now replace the complete assembly so everything is matched. Figure on about $650-$750 for the drive assembly.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,318 Posts
:Welcome1:

By all means, go and get the mower. You will at least have a chance to just sit down and spend some time with your Uncle.

Worst case, the drive is shot and it is going to cost a fortune to fix. There are some parts on the machine, you had a good road trip to get it, and you got to spend some time with your Uncle. The engine may be great and can be used or sold.

What I'm getting at is, go get it, tinker with it for a few hours, and make the most of it. You won't be out much if it shot.

Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
519 Posts
:MTF_wel2: You couldn't have found a better place to join. Every one here is very friendly and will always try to help you out.

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
:MTF_wel: and enjoy the forum. slkpk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate the warm welcome here! I called my uncle and decided that I am going to get the mower hopefully next weekend. I'm pretty pumped about it so hopefully I can get it going without too much hassle. I'll try to post pics when I have it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts