My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a Ford 4000 that runs good, when it's running. My dad burned up the electrical system and stripped the steering column this spring. I got the steering column repaired, but I have not been able to find a wiring diagram anywhere for a Ford 4000 with a 12v conversion. At the moment that's why I'm here...but, I would like to be able to help you should the time arise.

Junktractormagnet

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Welcome JTM, good to have you aboard here with us and hopefully someone can help with your Ford 4000 issues, hope you enjoy the forums in the meantime :fing32:.

·
Still learnin!
90 Posts
Welcome Junktractormagnet. I'm sure someone will come along with the diagram your looking for. Enjoy yourself.

·
Not a restorer
160 Posts
I'm not sure about the older 4 cylinder version, but AFAIK (and I own two) 3 cylinder thousand series are 100% 12V from the factory, no conversion involved unless someone dragged it back to 6 volts for giggles. Perhaps you mean "with alternator" as opposed to "with original generator" ?

So in that case, factory manual diagram (ask nicely at the local dealer and they might give you a photocopy, rather than you having to hunt down the whole manual, though those can sometimes be found cheap on *bay (they are astronomical from New Holland at this point) should work just fine.

Pretty simple, other than getting under the gas tank/gauge tin to actually get at the wiring there. Steering wheel has to come off, and generally does not want to. Get whatever voltage regulator you are using hooked up right. If gas, get the ignition hooked up right. If you want working gauges, there's a "voltage stabilizer" (probably a zener diode or equivalent) that drops the gauge feed to about 10V, and often the senders (especially temperature) are shot and need to be replaced for them to work. Lights if you have them. Make sure that the neutral interlock is actually working so the tractor cannot crank if not in neutral (often bypassed, not safe to bypass.)

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I have taken this thing completely apart. I'm good with the reassembly (other than the wiring). I checked with my local new holland dealer and they don't have the manual. So, far I've been guessing (and praying I don't burn something up). But I know it's only a matter of time before I do.

I'm not sure about the older 4 cylinder version, but AFAIK (and I own two) 3 cylinder thousand series are 100% 12V from the factory, no conversion involved unless someone dragged it back to 6 volts for giggles. Perhaps you mean "with alternator" as opposed to "with original generator" ?

So in that case, factory manual diagram (ask nicely at the local dealer and they might give you a photocopy, rather than you having to hunt down the whole manual, though those can sometimes be found cheap on *bay (they are astronomical from New Holland at this point) should work just fine.

Pretty simple, other than getting under the gas tank/gauge tin to actually get at the wiring there. Steering wheel has to come off, and generally does not want to. Get whatever voltage regulator you are using hooked up right. If gas, get the ignition hooked up right. If you want working gauges, there's a "voltage stabilizer" (probably a zener diode or equivalent) that drops the gauge feed to about 10V, and often the senders (especially temperature) are shot and need to be replaced for them to work. Lights if you have them. Make sure that the neutral interlock is actually working so the tractor cannot crank if not in neutral (often bypassed, not safe to bypass.)

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Check this thread, there is a 12v wiring diagram in it that is for the N series (w/alternator) but the basic wiring is the same for the 4000. The only thing might be your solenoid, 3 post vs 4 post and that is an easy 1 wire addition if you have the 4 post. Let use know.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=138726

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Here is the diagram for the stock 12volt system. This includes a generator if yours has an alternator conversion then the regulator would not be used. If an alternator is it a one or 3 wire conversion? If alternator go with one of the diagrams in the link that John supplied.

Kirk

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts