My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been reading here for a while for everything tractor related. We bought a new house with new requirements, so we finally needed a tractor of sorts.

We're mowing about 1.5 acres, have a decent driveway in the NE, and have some dirt work to do.

After a lot of looking, and talking to a friend with a 445, I picked up a 455 off CL pretty local, and it went down hill from there.

I added a Ruegg CAT 1 3 point and a back blade. I had a lot of traction issues, so I upgraded the turfs to loaded UDAPs in the rear. That got me through a lot of issues, but adding cast starter weights helped a lot.

Somewhere in there it was way out of balance, so she has 5 suitcase weights on the front bumper, but makes a nice little dirt mover!

Only issue now, is I have to drag dirt around, or load it by hand into the cart!

So a 445 / 40 followed me home last week. Price was good, but again, weight and traction limited. I'll be getting those issues fixed soon as well.

Thanks for the help guys!
--Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
865 Posts
Oh it’s a slippery slope for sure! A very nice combo, and once you get the traction dialed in you can do an impressive amount of work with it. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
6,169 Posts
I like to help others spend their $money$

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, but y'all have that helped enough! lol

The 445 just got the rear suitcase bracket from Absolute Metal Works on eBay, and the big tire setup is in the mail. The 445 just seems a little tippy compared to the the 455 on its 26x12x12s.

Still have lots of work to come. 445 is low on power. Did air filter and plugs, fuel filter is still on the self, think it may need a valve adjustment and possibly coils.

Relief shims are here, jsut waiting to get the power issue sorted before I ask more of it.

--Alex

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
IMO, the 4X5 series are some of Deere's best.

You have a very good foundation to start on and operation similarities have to be a plus.

CCMoe

·
Registered
263 Posts
Nice little buying spree! I think those 3 wheelbarrows just became redundant. There are a number of us here in New England that run those machines so there can be plenty of advice from a similar climate.

Winter is coming. Have you thought about a plow or blower? I know a nice guy named Steve Duffy that has some for sale in central Mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Things definitely got a bit out of hand, but I'm hoping to never use the wheel barrow and shovel again!

We never really intended to buy a second machine but the price on the 445/40 combo wasn't much more than a bare 40 loader. A second machine for not much more, and no hassles with transporting or mounting the loader was just too good to pass up.

Our dirt moving, re-grading, and general property cleanup took priority over snow removal this year. I'm hoping the rear blade and loader will get us through without too much hassle. Not optimal, but better than the walk behind blower.

Hopefully a 47 blower will be in the cards for next year!

--Alex

·
Banker / hobby farmer
620 Posts
Nice start to your fleet. I'm wondering how big of jobs you are doing though, as it almost sounds like you could really use something bigger like a 4100 or something rather than a garden tractor. Ever thought about it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought about a compact, but the price and need for a smaller mower regardless kinda settled it. The bigger more expensive tractor just uses bigger more expensive everything else.

I'll have to get some pics of the work I've gotten in so far. Nothing too major for re-grading yet, and nothing these machines haven't been able to handle now that they've got the weight behind 'em. I have just been changing the slope around the house a bit. Maybe 12" max depth so far, and re-sloping.

The 455 can dig pretty well with the LandPride Cat 1 rear blade now that it has the loaded HDAPs and starter weights. I do wish I could raise the 3pt higher, but that mostly only an issue with either crossing the hills in the yard, or moving across spoil piles.

Its definitely a slow and steady game, but they're getting it done.

--Alex

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a good example. The side of the house had flower beds up past the siding. We pulled the flower beds out, brought the grade below the siding, and sloped it away from the house. About 8 to 12" of material removed.

--Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
It might be a little work but if the two tractors were mine I would put the loader on the 455 and the 3ph blade on the 445. Or put them both on the 455 with the blade as ballast. The torque is much better on the 455 and with a loader that comes in handy. Either way, you have a really nice pair of JD's best!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I plowed every storm last year with my 54 blade. Never got the walk behind blower out. I have no experience with a back blade. You might consider keeping an eye out for a good deal on a front blade and quick hitch. The price on those varies from $500 to over $1000 around here. It would be a really nice addition to your arsenal, especially if you stumble across a deal like you found on your loader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It might be a little work but if the two tractors were mine I would put the loader on the 455 and the 3ph blade on the 445. Or put them both on the 455 with the blade as ballast. The torque is much better on the 455 and with a loader that comes in handy. Either way, you have a really nice pair of JD's best!
I've been thinking about putting the loader on the 455, I'm not sure though. I've only had the 445/40 for two weeks now, so we'll see how it goes. A dedicated loader has been nice, and i do like the fuel economy of the 455 for mowing. Optimally, I'd sell the 445 and replace it with a 455! lol I still need to replace the quick connects on the 455 before its an option, and see if the 445 has the loader forward relief valve of not.

I plowed every storm last year with my 54 blade. Never got the walk behind blower out. I have no experience with a back blade. You might consider keeping an eye out for a good deal on a front blade and quick hitch. The price on those varies from $500 to over $1000 around here. It would be a really nice addition to your arsenal, especially if you stumble across a deal like you found on your loader.
The back blade does have skid shoes so I'm hoping it will work out pretty well, can't say I've tried it either. Plows w quick hitch are about the same up here, and I'm sure it will happen at some point. I need to slow down for a bit, I still need better parking for what I have, and I have a Ratchet Rake comes today.

Getting a lot of work done though. lol

--Alex

·
Registered
865 Posts
To play devils advocate, I kept my loader on my 425 and used my 455 for mowing and ground implements..the hydro is the same on both, and the extra torque of the 455 drives the mower and 54” snow blower with ease. I moved 40 ton of stone with my 425/40 combo last year.. yeah you can’t drive thru the pile, but neither will. I used the drive forward in/lift/ froward/ lift/forward/curl method and always ended up with a full bucket. Ballast is the key tho.. I had upgraded to the larger 18/26” tires on the 425.. loaded tires with wheel weights and 6 suitcases off the 3ph.

The 455 handles even my modified 54” snow blower without breaking a sweat.. I used it once on the 425 and it was a noticeable difference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts