My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Lawn boys!
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can you guys tell me about International Harvester lawn boy mowers?I just picked one up its pretty rough but does run,What years were these made and are they hard to find?:unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
A lot harder to find than to get rid of! Do you have the model number?

Reactions: Lawn boy 2006

·
Super Moderator and over 6K Posts!
6,124 Posts
Made 1971 through 1974. This may be of some help. Bill

Note my avatar picture. 1971 model 332, 21 inch push.

·
Jack of all trades
210 Posts
Mine is a '71 model 334. Post up some pics when you get a chance! The guy I got mine from had one with a Briggs on it too...

·
Registered
Lawn boys!
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well here are some pictures of it it doesn't have the original handle and a mouse chewed through the top of the gas cap and also on some of the threads:mad:
also its a model number 3311 and also has a couple holes in the deck and it needs a new recoil.

·
6,124 Posts
Well I have seen worse. Definitely worth refurbishing this one however. The correct handle should not be too hard to find. Same with the recoil. The gas cap I am pretty sure would not have been correct for that mower anyway. That is a cap from an F series, 1978 to 1982. It the threads are not destroyed too far down you can sand the filler neck flat so the cap will seal. The deck would be the big issue. If you can find a welder that does magnesium that may be the way to go. Some have mentioned Lab metal to fill the holes. Depends what your intent is after it is done. You don't want to waste time and effort into a less than acceptable repair only to have it fail. If your just doing a cosmetic upgrade then strength of repair would not be so critical. You could also keep a look out for a deck from a donor mower which is what I did with mine. Keep us posted on your progress. Bill

Also just noticed that yours is a 19 inch model. NICE! D-600 engine. I am guessing engine parts would be similar to the Lawnboy 1972 model year.

·
Registered
Lawn boys!
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i probably aint gonna restore it but im definitely gonna get it cleaned up best i can ,and try to get it working like new again.

·
6,124 Posts
That sounds like a good plan. Always best to get the mechanicals in good shape before the cosmetics anyway. That way you can use it if you want to. Bill

·
LBAD Victim
1,039 Posts
They are cool machines! I had one briefly, and gave it to a better home (thanks Bill!), where it received its proper care and refurbishing. Those are arguably one of the rarest lawn boy/cub mowers out there, with exception to the Promo and Liberty.

·
Lawn Boy
1,577 Posts
There have been some in-depth discussions with lots of good info over the years. Some creative searching should turn up a lot of info. Maybe a search for IH + BaldGuy would be a good starting point. We had a member years ago with that username who was an incredible font of knowledge as he worked in the factory. Great guy, and I miss him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just restored this old lawnmower. If any of you fine people can help me fine information on this old girl, like what year it could be. I would appreciate it.
PXL_20210722_001713281.jpg
PXL_20210722_140642261.jpg
PXL_20210722_140647791.jpg
PXL_20210722_140658755.jpg
PXL_20210722_140711770.jpg
PXL_20210722_140718455.jpg
PXL_20210722_140742830.jpg

·
Lawn Boy
1,577 Posts
That's interesting -- I've never seen one with a Canadian S/N tag. International Harvester was based in Chicago and most of the tags I've seen until now reflected that.

·
6,124 Posts
That is very interesting. Model 336 does not appear in the IH Lawnboy picture thread. I see the model tag reflects that it was made in Canada. Perhaps that big C in the serial number also indicates that. That shroud appears to be in very good shape. I would keep an eye out for a donor mower with the same deck in good shape and replace the deck. Leave the shroud as it is and maybe install a new set of decals. Definitely worth preserving. Hopefully the powers that be will add your pictures to the IH Lawnboy picture thread. Hint, hint!! Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm thinking it's a 1971 i cant find much information to definitively say what year it is, I would also like to find out how many were produced.

·
6,124 Posts
I would agree 1971 sounds right. The shroud changed in 1972. Bill

·
Registered
3 Posts
I plan to find an old Lawn-Boy deck I can use as a donor to replace this broken one I have on mine.
I just used it today and it works pretty good for being 50 years old

1 - 20 of 23 Posts