My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 856 in 2005, I never used the PTO for the first 4 years that I owned it. And then my father in law gave me a 3pt hole auger. So I decided to mount it on the tractor and try it out.

hrmm, try and use words to describe what I wish I had a picture for...

ok, here goes.
The PTO has a pin that comes out of the top left side of the case. When you engage the PTO you pull on a rod that pulls the pin in the PTO case and that is supposed to allow hydraulic pressure to flow and make the PTO spin.

Here is my problem.. That pin/plunger that comes out of the PTO is supposed to have a square block on it with a hole through the middle and that hole is supposed to have a pin that goes through it that rotates as you pull the PTO lever (when you are sitting in the tractor seat).

The previous owner (friend of mine and real stand up guy) stated that the PTO worked just fine when he sold it to me and I believe him. But when I tried to engage the PTO, I pulled on the rod, the bellcrank did not go overcenter and lock so I *assumed* that something was binding in the linkage. So I did what all bad mechanics do and I stuck a 'bar' on the linkage and pried it UP. when I pried it, I busted the square block off the top of the pin.

My guess is that this pin in replaceable but I have no idea how to do it correctly/safely and I need guidance on the pin/pluger replacement procedure, where is the best place to buy a replacement, and does the PTO need to be 'primed' after it has set for so long 'dry' because I never used it?

Thanks in advance,
-ron

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I called Dad this afternoon and he thinks his cousin might have a working unit (bad motor on tractor) down at his house and I might just swap the whole PTO over to a dual 540/1000 unit for a couple hundred $$ (locally I can pick one up for $500)

I'll try and get a couple pictures of what I'm talking about tonight from my 856 and maybe run over to the neighbors and get a pic of his 706, the linkage is the same but my 856 has an aftermarket 3pt on it and the brackets partially block the bolts that hold on the PTO.

-ron

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This thread may have just become rendered useless. My Dad just called and he found me a 540/1000RPM PTO for $300 and will be picking it up for me in the next couple days then having his cousing inspect is to ensure it works. And once they are done I will go pick it up and bolt it on. Problem solved on so many levels..

Dad is paying
Dad is running around
I get 540 AND 1000RPM instead of just the 1000RPM that I have now.

Today is shaping up!
-ron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts