My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I bought my 856 I have had a problem with the right (passenger side) downleg rotating in the axle tube. I bought a Grade 5 bolt and replaced the pin with the bolt in an effort to provide more clamping force on the tube but it has had almost zero effect on keeping the downleg from rotating.

I have seen some other large IH tractors with additional welded on straps on the axle tubes with extra bolts to hold things in place, do I need to go that route? The other option that I was thinking of was to widen the front end, I think I can go out one more set of holes before the tire spacing is wider than the loader bucket. The reason I haven't done this was that when I replaced the right side tie rod it was completely rusted into the sleeve and I am not looking forward to breaking loose the 40yrs of rust that might be in the other tie rod sleeve and/or the axle tubes.

My other idea was to buy another set of axle clamps and then determine where the next set of holes for the downleg would be inside the axle tube and drill new holes and drop on a second set of clamps with pins.

My neighbor suggested that I break the clamp bolts loose, the using a angle finder make the passengerside match the driver side and then re-tighten up the clamps, he thought that would work.

Any other suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,
-ron

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll try to get a picture of the front axle this evening to indicate the problem areas.

-ron

1 - 2 of 2 Posts