My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Son of a gun! I've owned this unit since May, I guess, and I never opened the box it came in. It was just sitting in the bed of a truck I had in the garage. I finally pulled the truck out and I'm trying to sort through all the crap that was on it, in it, under it, just everywhere. So I finally open the box the IH came in and pull it out. It was packed with those peanuts, which got everywhere. After that mess was cleaned up, I opened the gas cap. It smelled horrible. The ad said it didn't run and that it had been sitting somewhwere for years, if I recall. Anyway, the gas tank was empty, and smelled badly of stale gas. I pulled the starter cord, and was happy to find it would turn over. I looked at the spark plug. It was the rustiest example of CJ14 I think I have ever seen. So I yanked it out and gave it a new one. I checked for spark before I put the new plug in, and it did have spark. So I said ah, what the heck, give it some gas. I poured a few sips of fresh gas in the tank. I primed the carb a few times, gave it a little snort of ether, and gave it a few pulls. It fired up on like the third pull. It won't stay running unless I prime it to keep it going. But still, what a surprise! And the wheels are not wobbly, the shroud is not cracked, the deck is in really good shape... Cosmetically I almost don't want to mess with it. All I need for it is a yellow discharge plate, and I'm golden. The one on it right now is all busted up. Oh, and I guess a little carb work is in order. But I must say, I am pleasantly surprised with this one! I think I'll even take some pics.

·
nothing of interest
1,025 Posts
Paul,
I just keep shooting fuel in the carb while it's running and sometimes it will then stay running on it's own. Might take awhile, but you prolly should clean the old dried out oil out of the carb anyway.
Sounds like a nice one, but where are the pics ??? LOL
Ron

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,196 Posts
Oh man!! that thing looks sweet, someone really cared for that machine. You are right, that thing is good to go. Can you go to the IH website and order lawnboy parts for that? I was wondering if that maybe another source that I have been forgetting.

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
the air cleaner was made by edelborck lol nice unit! i wonder how good a black discharge cover would go with it?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Nice looking old LB. Reminds me of my 1st mower, that I used when I was young. it was my dads mower he bought in highschool and used for his mowing business. Love it!

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Man that's really nice! I have spare NOS fuel caps like the one on your machine there if you need one!

Yeah, the air filter cover is pretty sweet too... haha

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,796 Posts
Lots of mowers you havent even touched in better condition than some us can build them. Congrats.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is a nice style shroud. But I must admit I like the tractor top shrouds pretty well, too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts