My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this post on the Sears Craftsman YT4000 review section. Apparently this guy found a way to get another inch of cut height use all six deck positions on his YT with the purchase of one adjustable lift link. The QUOTE:

" It cuts very well and has performed great except for one thing...the 2 lowest height adjustment levels for the blade deck are virtually useless, as it tries to push into the ground. I had Sears service come out and check it out. It apparently is a poor design choice to save $10 by the manufacturer. The rear deck has one fixed link and one adjustable link that are controlled by the blade deck lift lever. The fixed link is presumably cheaper vs the adjustable link, so they saved money by incorporating this. The adjustable link on one side lets you adjust the left/right height of the mowing deck to level it. That's it.

I ordered another adjustable link from SearsParts and replaced the fixed link, and then raised both adjustable links up as high as they go. This give me another 1 inch higher cut height at number 6 (highest position) which is needed for hot Southern Summers, and now the lowest position is on the ground. So I gained another useful cutting height. It cost $35 for the adjustable link, and is a ten minutes swap out with the fixed link."

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'd say that using the 23" tires on the back of our little tractors that the last 2 notchs will work the way its made then.......

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
:ditto: i think they matched up the deck and tractor wrong

·
Registered
962 Posts
My 42/24 PYT is newer than his by 1 year an its the same way. I had a brand new 06 or 07 YS4500 a coupla years back and it was just like that also.

·
Premium Member
9,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, my Craftsman Pro has the same issue, that's why I'm so interested in how he fixed it. Anyone want to venture a guess as to the part number of the adjustable lift link he bought?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Heres the lift lay out of my tractor lift as you can see mine has 2 adjustable links.

Maybe Sears thinks a guy won't switch to bigger or different tires on a lawn tractor, so why make it adjustable from both sides.
It's still a cheap way of doing things by Sears.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

I realize this is an older topic but when I purchased my 23HP YTS4000 a couple of weeks ago, I noticed the same thing. This is my first lawn tractor so I couldn't understand why the deck didn't go higher. When I tried adjusting the deck I found only one side and the front adjusted. It didn't make sense to me so I decided to "fix" the problem. Hopefully this will help someone else.

I removed the fixed link to take a look and there was no way to adjust. Being too cheap after dropping 2k on this machine I looked around to see what I had. I found a plastic that was around 1/2" high. To get in on the link, I took a small wedge out of the side with a hack saw and then squeezed it onto the link in a vice. Then to make sure it didn't come off, I just put a hose clamp on it.

After reinstalling the link, I just tightened the other adjusters to set it up properly. No I almost have a full range on my deck.

Now that I've read about this, it seems that I'm not the only one and my "fix" fits the problem. There's still a little play on mine so I think I can get another 1/4" to 1/2".

Here are some pictures showing the link.

Cheers,

Stuart

Attachments

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yes, my Craftsman Pro has the same issue, that's why I'm so interested in how he fixed it. Anyone want to venture a guess as to the part number of the adjustable lift link he bought?
Based on the original post only (!), and not being familiar with those tractors myself, it sounds like he got the part number for the adjustable link already on one side of his deck and bought another of that same part for the other side.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just did this fix on my 2011 YT4000 and it added a good 2" to the height! I cannot believe this isn't done at the factory with the shipping height at setting 6 being so low. I even asked the Sears dude if the height could be raised last fall when it was serviced and he said no, it was as high as it could go.

After installing the part in the OP (yes, the same part fit the 2011), I adjusted all three balance nuts (two on the side and one in front) to the highest setting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just installed this on mine tonight. I just got the tractor last week. (YT 4000)

If i adjust the links as high as they go, I can't get the deck into level 6 without having to force it in...snd I think at that point its riding against the bottom of the tractor..so I had to back it off..I still can only get to just about 3 inches...I'd like to be able to hit 4 but I think it will just bottom out agsint the tractor. Unless you have to adjust the front while bringing the sides up...

At levels 3-4 the deck is on the ground...but this is because I have the deck's gauge wheels in the lowest position to avoid scalping, so i am ok with that.

I still want to get this thing higher though..

·
Registered
11 Posts
In addition to the fix, I also over inflate the tires by 5lbs and I have chains on the rear wheels (I live on a slope). Those two factors combined with the fix in the OP give me about 3.5" which is good enough for me. Before the fix in the OP, on level 6 I was scalping grass on some portions of my slope--level 6!

·
Registered
2 Posts
In addition to the fix, I also over inflate the tires by 5lbs and I have chains on the rear wheels (I live on a slope). Those two factors combined with the fix in the OP give me about 3.5" which is good enough for me. Before the fix in the OP, on level 6 I was scalping grass on some portions of my slope--level 6!
Do you think this will also work on a YT 3000? I am thinking about getting one. After driving a neighbor's YT3000 from last year I realized it cut way shorted than I normally cut even at level 6.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you think this will also work on a YT 3000? I am thinking about getting one. After driving a neighbor's YT3000 from last year I realized it cut way shorted than I normally cut even at level 6.
Yes, it will also work on a yt-3000.
Just order a second adjustable link. I went to the local fleet farm and took a look at the husqvarnas they had and the 46 inch decks and below had the fixed
link on one side and the 48s and up had adjustable on both sides.

I actually ordered the second adjustable for my yt-4000 and it's about a 5 minute job to replace the fixed one.

After I replaced it I was able to get the 4th position to be a 3 inch cut, the 5th to be 3 1/2 and the 6th to be a full 4 inches.

Cuts pretty good now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts