My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been in the market for a reputable-brand used quality rider for awhile now. I've had enough of my current 1980-something Ranch King (MTD I think) with its nasty oil leak and "floating plate" engine mount (with mounting bolts always falling out).

An acquaintance of mine has a 1989-1990 John Deere 180 for sale; Kawasaki engine, 38" deck, unit well cared-for and maintained, thicker steel frame construction (not a big box store wannabe), new front axle and new tires, clutch replaced in the last couple years. Also has the bagger system, which is a BIG feature I am wanting also. Residential use only, oiled and greased regularly, stored inside and not used during winter months.

Anything I should know about this unit, maintenance or otherwise? What would be a fair price? He said our local JD dealer told him it would be valued at around $800-900. I don't want to overpay but don't want to lowball the guy either, since I believe he is being honest about its condition.

Where does the 180 fall in the hierarchy of models that were offered back then? Is it known for any particular problems that could be present, or should be watched/inspected when I see this unit in person? Anything you can think of is much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
16,674 Posts
The 180 was the Top of the Line Geared Lawn tractor at the time of It's Production. A 1990 Model 180 In excellent condition according to Blue Book is worth $368.00 Not Including the Bagger. Keep In Mind Private sales are always Higher than Blue Book The Bagger is a (VDC) Varies Depending On Condition.
But the MSRP Price of the Bagger In 1990 was $279.00
The MSRP Price of the 180 in 1990 was $3,599

The 180 Could Take attachments such as a 42inch Front Blade and a 38inch single stage Snow thrower.

That series of Lawn tractor Made By Deere was the first to Have Kawasaki engines I thing there a Great Lawn tractor series Produced By Deere. My First John Deere Tractor of My Own was a Used 130(which was the entry Level Model of the Series) In the Mid to late 1980's it replaced a Used John Deere R70 Rear engine rider
:thThumbsU

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sergeant... where are you finding the lawnmower Blue Book prices? I didn't think there was such a thing (as mentioned in this thread).

I have never seen anything even remotely close to the $400-500 range for a quality mower in my area (Craiglist and other local classifieds). I'm running into more of the 7-8 year old Lowe's/Home Depot specials, which I'd like to avoid if I can. A Cub Cadet 1000-series was listed locally for $800 a couple weeks ago, and it was gone within a few days.

I'd rather spend an extra couple hundred $$ on quality, but of course I don't want to grossly overpay either.

·
Super Moderator
16,674 Posts
The Ground Maintenance equipment Blue Book is where I get the Prices It's Printed By Penton Business Media Publication

But thats why I said "Keep In Mind Private sales are always Higher than Blue Book"

I answered that thread You posted in that link with a Picture of one of my copies of the Blue Book

:thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
Last year I bought a JD160 with a snowthrower for $500. I painted it and it looked brand new and then I flipped it for a larger tractor and then flipped the Jd265 to buy my current tractor GX325.

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
How does the 160 compare to the 180 of that same vintage?
Both were first made in 1986, the 160(1986-1988) has a 12hp engine, the 180(1986-1990) has a 17 hp.

The 180 can use a 38" and 46" deck, 160 can only use a 38" deck.

Both use the same 38" snowthrower.

Same tire sizes......both have about the same power even though one engine has 5 more hp.

What size yard do you have? Hills or flat? You might want something with a larger deck.
I bought mine knowing I was going to flip it. I hada craftsman with a 42" deck, going to a 38", I knew I was going to sell it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My yard size is not really an issue - less than a half acre. I could almost push mow it, and I used to do that... but I've become spoiled with the ride + grass catcher (even on my crappy rider :rolleyes:) and the summer months are rough with a pusher. 38" is what I have now, and plenty for me. Mostly flat with a few small hills/ditches but no sustained slopes.

Is there a VIN of sorts or some other stamping that I can find on this 180 to tell me what year it was manufactured? When you say "built in 1986" I am assuming that's when those models came out, not necessarily when every 160 and 180 was sold... but let me know if I'm wrong.

·
Super Moderator
16,674 Posts
Holy cow that is a FREAKIN AWESOME collection of information! Thanks :fing32:
Be careful with that site Half the time It Is Not always Very accurate Information while It’s decent reference Don’t always Take it for the absolute truth especially with Deere Or any other Brand:thThumbsU

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just picked up this 185 for $375.00 a few weeks ago. The deals are out there. It was on craigslist for a few weeks for $450. I thought for sure something was wrong as they normally dont last long at that price range. I went to look at it and brought it home. I cant find anything wrong at all. I took it apart to change all fluids, belts and clean. I have put about ten hours on it at it works perfectly. Pic below is from ad.

EDIT: It did need the starter relay kit ($30.00) from JD because it required several turns of the key to get the starter to spin.

Thanks,
Dave

""

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My problem with Craigslist and local classifieds is the lack of options, due to the size area where I live. Closest "metro" is about 100,000 combined... not like the more major city Craigslists with population of half-million and up.

Is there a maintenance guide out there for basic how-to's on lawn tractors? I've done plenty of oil/plug/filter (air & fuel) changes on my current Ranch King, but been a little intimidated by the belt and not sure what else to be checking. If/when I get something nicer, I want to be more educated on some basics.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The 2 deck belts were easy but the main drive belt was harder. Had to remove a couple parts and it kinda weaves through things. Digital camera came in real handy to get the new one routed properly.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Super Moderator
16,674 Posts
Scotty some questions
1. What is You Budget for a Machine?
2. What size Is Your Lot?
3. What is the terrain of Your Lot?
4. Where are You In IL?

Those will greatly Help The Members Out with Helping You Out:thThumbsU

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Scotty some questions
1. What is You Budget for a Machine?
2. What size Is Your Lot?
3. What is the terrain of Your Lot?
4. Where are You In IL?
1. $500-800, lower is better but I'd spend more for something AWESOME... older reputable-brand unit is my goal.
2. 1/3 - 1/2 acre lot... pushmower possible, but nice to have a rider.
3. Mostly flat terrain with only a few small swells. No big hills.
4. Central Illinois, halfway in between Chicago and St. Louis (2 hrs from each).

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,947 Posts
Hi Scotty,

Did you buy it? I've been very happy with my 160. The only thing I would mention about the gear-drive 100 series (130-180) is that the transaxle IS a weak point on them. Be careful not to overstress it, whether its hauling an overloaded trailer or pushing snow with the blade (if you ever decide to nail a blade down for it). Replacements are hard to find. That said, if you're getting it to use it JUST as a mower, I think you'll find it a fantastic little riding mower. I bought a set of Gator 3 in 1 high lift mulchers for mine and I get a great cut. And on my small yard, boy its great for getting into places.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just posted yesterday, and nope haven't bought anything yet. You mind me asking what you paid for your 160, and its model year? I'm still trying to figure out a fair price for this 180 with grass catcher. Current owner says JD dealer told him $800-900 (which seems high), Sergeant here says it bluebook's for $368 (which seems low). The truth is likely somewhere in between I suppose.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,947 Posts
Well, bear in mind, a) I'm up in Canada, we just pay MORE and b) mine came with mower, blower, blade and chains (but no bagger).

We picked it it up for $1500, which seemed a bit high after the fact BUT it was sure a lot less than something new with all those attachments. I picked up a bagger hopper, bags and chute for $50, then dropped another $100 for the proper mount...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts