My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking how cool it would be to have a limited height (for safety) lift forklift on the rear of my GT.

Basically about 54" lift (should let you get things in and out of any but the tallest pickup truck beds).
450 lbs weight capacity (the stated max for most Cat -0 3PHs I've seen).
Either a manual or electric boat trailer type winch.

I figure the 3PH can lift and tilt the pallet upward slightly for safe transport. The pallet would then be returned to the ground when the winch would be used to raise and lower the load.

My idea is to be able to load and unload the heavier items from my truck, and to build a pallet shelf in the shed to stack some of the big heavy cumbersome attachments I don't need year round, such as the snowblower, tiller, etc.

What would be the interest in this sort of thing, and what other specs would you like to see?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Better plan on a lot off weight added to the front.
No doubt about that, Johndeere.

I usually run 210lbs suitcase weights with the tiller (which I think weighs just over 450lbs) without incident, so I think I would be ok. I also pull my loaded 7x16 enclosed trailer about with the same configuration.

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
Also have to figure in the turnover factor which will increase considerably with the extra height I'd want duals on a GT with a rear forklift.There was a company years ago that built a lightweight rear forklift for small farm tractors that went on the 3pt and then had another cylinder to lift the forks up and down using the remotes.I actually have a John Deere built rear fork attachment thats works basically the same way but its built for at least a 40+HP tractor.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured most of the big GTs have a 42" rear width, so lifting to 54" would be somewhat safe. I suppose it would also depend on how the load is distributed on the pallet to be lifted.

Also figured if I could lift 400lbs of dirt in my FEL, way out in front of the tractor, coming straight off the 3PH should be alright.

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts

·
Young Buck
1,594 Posts
Bolens had one for the large frames back in the day. I think it is a great Idea, and agree on the duals unless you can turn the wheels out wider than your lift height. I think you could run the tilt off the on board hydraulics, and the main lift off a pump like the one for the tiller on a 300 series, or one that runs of the mid or front pto for a 400 series. Here is the Bolens one made by Johnson.

Attachments

·
close enuff works for me
3,357 Posts

I built this one on a deere 110, could be built to work on a 3 point hitch.It will lift 52 inches ,,400 lbs,,uses 12 volt winch. the mast is very close to the rear tires ,,it has 90 lbs of weight on the front of the frame. It is very handy for loading and unloading my trailer, and moving any thing less than 400 lbs around the shop. great back saver.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like that unit at the simpletractors site. It seems to have a very substantial sub-frame. I guess I was expecting to get away with something a little more quick attach, but that seems to not be the case.

I like the other ideas posted, but was wondering about something less permanent.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I figured most of the big GTs have a 42" rear width, so lifting to 54" would be somewhat safe. I suppose it would also depend on how the load is distributed on the pallet to be lifted.

Also figured if I could lift 400lbs of dirt in my FEL, way out in front of the tractor, coming straight off the 3PH should be alright.
If you are already able to safely lift 400ish pounds using your FEL, would it be possible to substitute a set of forks in place of the bucket?

·
Sears Fan
1,281 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't make a mast that attached to the three point. It would give you a disadvantage leverage-wise but a heavy front weight should be able to compensate.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I remember seeing those Kevin. I know you're a pretty careful guy who knows what he's doing, but I don't think I'd trust a GT lifting something as high as your Power King is doing there.

Now your smaller one is sort of what I had in mind, but for the rear.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyway, as a follow up, I heard back from Kevin O'Reilly at or-bilt.com and he told me he was going to look into pallet forks for his loaders this spring.

AND...

He's thinking about a hoe to go on his loaders. Don't know any more than that at the moment, but I'm psyched!

·
Young Buck
1,594 Posts
How about this D-Dogg!

I saw your post and took it as a challenge. So i opened up inventor and got to work. This is 60" tall, and could be whatever height to get your 54" lift height. It can be hydraulic or winch driven, and can have tilt by replacing your standard top link with a ball joint end hydraulic cylinder so you have a hydraulic top link run of the front, or rear if you have them hydro ports. It probably would weigh 100# its self though, but i bet this design could lift 600# if you set it on the ground or on wheels mounted to the bottom of the mast. Just an idea for you. Uprights are 2' apart, forks can go 32" apart, and the back rack is 42" wide x 36" tall to give you some scale. The last pic is a rough idea of how the carriage would work.

Attachments

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's exactly what I was thinking, Eric. Of course then I would need to figure out how to plumb the 318 to be an H-5. I know one member did that already.

As far as rear axle capacity, you know I have hauled 700lbs of block with the pallet forks on my ALZWelding load lifter, so the weight of 100 or so lbs doesn't scare me. Most all the raising and lowering would be done on a paved level driveway or the concrete shed floor.

Interesting design! I like it!

·
Young Buck
1,594 Posts
I don't think h5 would be necessary. You could plumb a rear port off the front angling port (would be able to use it for rear blade angle too, among other things.) and make a hydro pump that mounts to the front quick attach for the main cylinder, or you can put both on an h2 system off the front pump that is quick attach to the front. You could make the front pump assembly include the reservoir and make it dual action as a weight bracket too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.