My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am slowly getting things put back together on this ford 3000 and I have ran into something.

I took an ohm meter reading the heater and it read only 3 ohms to ground from the wire terminal. That would be like a dead short to ground. Is that a good value?

Also, I have a 3 position switch rather than a 4 position switch that the manual shows. There is an empty hole in the console that I often wonder about. Is it possible there was a switch or button to the heater there?

Can I wire the heater into the start circuit or should it be on it's own? I really don't think the start circuit is the best place because the heater will be hot everytime I start the tractor.

It's obvious this thing has been disconnected both mechanically and electrically for years. I would however like to get it fixed before fall :)
Is that ok?

Any help is appreciated :)

John

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
IIRC, the original switch was 4 position. Turning the switch to the left of "off" activated the manifold heater. Then you either started in the normal fashion, or turned it farther to the left to operate the starter. This is why I prefaced this comment with "IIRC". After the engine is running, you go past the stop position to the normal "on" position.

·
Registered
31 Posts
it needs to have a reading to ground,,,, then when power is supplier thru a switch it will heat up.......... i would use a push button switch with power supplier thru the Ing. ON........if the heater reads open to ground it wont work..think of it like a light bulb......... needs groud

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks yall ! I thought it should read to ground through the coil but I wasn't sure that 1-3 ohms was ok :) I think I'll install a push/toggle switch into that "spare" hole. I could order a 4 position switch though.

I think I'll also hook it up to the battery and blow through the tubing to see if it opens. I'm not sure what the injector bleed off pressure is but I'm full of hot air so I'll try it. I guess I could try with 125# air pressure too if I can't blow through it.

Anyone know what the injector bleed off pressure might be?

·
Registered
31 Posts
its the return fuel line back to the tank.....will hard to test by blowing thru it,, because prolonged heating could zap the heating coil,,,,,, need to fill the line going to heater with fuel and the connect to power supply

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks once again :)

I think the injector bleed off line goes to the tank return and also tees into the little line going to the heater. Is that right?

I hope so cause thats how I connected the tubings :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey yall :)

I finally ordered a new ignition switch with cold start for my Ford 3000 Diesel.

I have the tubing to the manifold heater tee'd into the injector return line to the fuel tank. I have no little "reservoir" in the line though as shown on the parts list. I guess it's not absolutely necessary to have one. Right?

I think I understand how it is supposed to work but please advise :) When I turn the ignition switch to the left of off, that should turn the heating coil on. I'm unsure how long to hold it there though. Next, a further turn to the left will engage the starter. Correct? So then I can turn the switch back to the right passing through the off position to "on". Is this the correct way to use it?

As always, I appreciate any and all responses :)

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts