My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I dont know what I want to know for sure. This is new to me. I start giving myself insulin shots TONIGHT.
The Doc put me on metforman pills first, they are in fact what sent me to Little Rock for heart blockages test. the med's. "BAD symptoms" mimicked heart blockages . Guys , Im no sissy, but I have never had anything make me so sick"literally!"in my life. I personally stop the metforman med and I feel great. But, blood sugar is bouncing between 225 and 389.
is anyone using Lantus SoloStar insulin injections? Is there anything I should watch for? Anything you can share might be something I should watch for. thanks Doc

·
Registered
682 Posts
I am having issues with Metformin too. Keeps my sugar in check but the nausea,and I have chest issues. I think I do have a little lung issue like maybe a little asthma or bronchitis.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,975 Posts
My 12 year old daughter (Type I diabetic) was changed over to Lantus by her endocrinologist about 2 months ago... My understanding, from what the endocrinologist explained, is that Lantus inhibits the release of glucogen from the liver, allowing a more "flat" or baseline blood sugar over a 24 hour period (she does one injection of Lantus a day)... So during the day, she injects Humalog H at each meal, an amount based on what her blood sugar is (we target getting her "down" from a high to a regular number) plus an amount based on her carb count at lunch... I'd give you the numbers, but in Canada we use different measurements (plus, you'd have different numbers for your carb intake anyway, probably). It does seem to be getting her into a bit better control, AS LONG AS she remembers to do "free" (no-carb) snacks during the day....The raspberry patch has been causing her some problems these days....

Oh, and she prefers the insulin PEN over using syringes.... dunno if that's an option for you, Doc....

·
Which one's Pink?
413 Posts
drbailey,

Sorry to hear of your adverse reaction to metformin. Regarding your question about Lantus - much information can be found at their website:

www.lantus.com

Lantus is basically a long acting insulin which lasts for 24 hours resulting in fewer needle sticks and increased compliance.

Another good website for drug information in lay language is:

www.safemedication.com

Mowin' Man :trink39:

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am having issues with Metformin too. Keeps my sugar in check but the nausea,and I have chest issues. I think I do have a little lung issue like maybe a little asthma or bronchitis.
Thats part of my feelings , the symptoms all are similar to heart blockage's, Thats why I was sent for blockage test. thank goodness , no blockage.
with out ANY meds made me feel much better. However, the #'s went bad.
I have big hopes for the insulin to help my #'s
I have spoke with people that like metforman and others that cant (like me) take it at all. I tolerated the terrible feeling for two months , I finally had to say NO.

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 12 year old daughter (Type I diabetic) was changed over to Lantus by her endocrinologist about 2 months ago... My understanding, from what the endocrinologist explained, is that Lantus inhibits the release of glucogen from the liver, allowing a more "flat" or baseline blood sugar over a 24 hour period (she does one injection of Lantus a day)... So during the day, she injects Humalog H at each meal, an amount based on what her blood sugar is (we target getting her "down" from a high to a regular number) plus an amount based on her carb count at lunch... I'd give you the numbers, but in Canada we use different measurements (plus, you'd have different numbers for your carb intake anyway, probably). It does seem to be getting her into a bit better control, AS LONG AS she remembers to do "free" (no-carb) snacks during the day....The raspberry patch has been causing her some problems these days....

Oh, and she prefers the insulin PEN over using syringes.... dunno if that's an option for you, Doc....
littletractorguy, thanks for the info, and I also am using the PEN. Its all new to me , I read the facts that came with the pen. I have it figured out in my mind now,its not as bad as I expected it to be. Im a sissy!
I'm sorry to hear about your Daughter, one of my Grandsons has had blood sugar problems since he was 14, three shots a day. He is 20 now and handling the shots very well.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
My wife is type I, she became diabetic in Feb/March of '08. She takes Humalog at every meal and Humalin once a day every night before bed. And she has done extremely well with keeping her sugars between 80 and 120. She still has spikes that exceede this range, but is otherwise very well managed. Every A1C she has been tested for has been at least .2 lower than the previous.

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
drbailey,

Sorry to hear of your adverse reaction to metformin. Regarding your question about Lantus - much information can be found at their website:

www.lantus.com

Lantus is basically a long acting insulin which lasts for 24 hours resulting in fewer needle sticks and increased compliance.

Another good website for drug information in lay language is:

www.safemedication.com

Mowin' Man :trink39:
Thanks mower'man, for the info. Im getting educated.

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My wife is type I, she became diabetic in Feb/March of '08. She takes Humalog at every meal and Humalin once a day every night before bed. And she has done extremely well with keeping her sugars between 80 and 120. She still has spikes that exceede this range, but is otherwise very well managed. Every A1C she has been tested for has been at least .2 lower than the previous.
Im happy that your wife has it figured out. A few years ago my sugar level would bottom out, I would have to call my Son to get me and the wrecker. Now its the other way. yesterday afternoon it was 389, this morning it is 202.
I feel good and I have high hopes to get it right.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Im happy that your wife has it figured out. A few years ago my sugar level would bottom out, I would have to call my Son to get me and the wrecker. Now its the other way. yesterday afternoon it was 389, this morning it is 202.
I feel good and I have high hopes to get it right.
I wish you the best of luck getting things lined out. My wife is like you, its not the lows that gets her, she has problems with it getting too high. Her cousin was up in the 600's before he got straightened out with his insulin routine.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,975 Posts
The high's are also my daughter's problem, particularly during summer holidays when she just wants to sleep in (we get her up for breakfast, and TRY to get her doing things, but she'd rather sleep... Teenagers, whatdyado?)... We do find that a period of intense activity for her (an afternoon of swimming, biking hard to distant places, etc) can favourably affect her blood sugar for up to a whole day after, keeping it down to acceptable levels...

She's been diabetic since she was 5, I THINK she realizes now that its a forever thing... Fortunately, she's a pretty easy-going, "water off a duck's back" kinda kid... kinda unfortunately, too, because she's not as rigorous in remembering to do checks and pokes and eating as she perhaps should be...

Now that her grandfather has developed Type II diabetes, tho, its interesting seeing her be the "expert" with him; checking him out on the meter, showing how to run the pen, warning him about carb counts, etc....

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
my grandma uses the pen and every night i go over and give her the shot. she used to use syringes but i was the only one who knew how use them properly so we switched her to the pen and i taught several other family members how to giver her the shot and check her sugar. using the pen is very easy. i may be able to help with any questions you have reguarding its use. i actually prefer the syringes over the pen though because if you aren't careful you can get air in the pen and it is impossible to get it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts