My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, folks, just a quick post to tell you another way to install the trip springs on a JD 48" snow plow. I read several posts discussing it, all with great ideas, but I needed a solution using stuff I had. Anyone familiar with the springs knows that they are EXTREMELY difficult to stretch back into position. So here's what I did:
After taking the plow apart to do some maintenance, I put it all back together and back on my X530.(Except the springs) Then I drove out to the barn, lined the plow up under a beam, hooked a chain hoist to the beam, attached the bottom of the spring to the lower bracket, attached the hoist to the top of the spring and WHOO HOO, pulling it up to the top mounting hole was EASY! I repeated the process for the other spring! Had I not figured this out, I would have had to weld a stretching device something like I saw in an earlier post.
Just thought I'd pass this along to help anyone that has this problem.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
...save time, money, and prevent frustration doing the stretch.
I'm racking my brain trying to remember how I put the springs on my Swisher 48" plow but coming up empty. It could not have been that difficult or I would have remembered. All I know is that I stretched them by hand. Maybe the JD springs are stronger?

Not sure how much time would be saved rigging up a chain hoist. Also cannot imagine what money was saved. As for frustration, that I could see. I prefer to work smarter, not harder when all else is equal.

·
Super Moderator
26,777 Posts
If you have to fab anything there is some money involved, even if it is rods for welding, bolts, etc... The JD springs are much stronger that those and having done one before can be a pain to do using just leverage. His idea, assuming he already had the chain hoist already, is a great way to do it using the weight of the tractor to anchor the bottom. Work smarter, not harder is always a good plan.

·
Premium Member
7,471 Posts
I used an old spring tool that was originally designed for the springs on drum brakes on a car for the springs on the JD 48" blade for my X500.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
It is starting to come back to me. I recall is that I had removed the two stop blocks that control the attack angle so the blade laid back shortening the distance the springs had to be stretched. Also changed the attachment point at the bottom so it was an easy slip over the bolt head. I guess that makes it Green Apples to Oranges.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To give you an idea of how strong the springs are...….when I pulled one of them with the hoist, it raised the tractor front end about 4"of the ground including the entire plow!!!! I was shocked... (I already had the hoist)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is starting to come back to me. I recall is that I had removed the two stop blocks that control the attack angle so the blade laid back shortening the distance the springs had to be stretched. Also changed the attachment point at the bottom so it was an easy slip over the bolt head. I guess that makes it Green Apples to Oranges.

View attachment 2445153
Why didn't you use the original ATT. Pt?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I adapted the Swisher ATV plow to my Husqvarna and the springs interfered with the angling so I set them much lower and to the inside.
makes sense to me...good job...I was just curious

1 - 10 of 10 Posts