My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have a 46" dozer / snowplow. This is model 917.253311.

This model has the trip spring setup to protect the tractor.

This does NOT have the replaceable cutting edge that some of my earlier sears snowplow / dozers came with.

Is it possible to add this replaceable edge?

What suggestions do you have to do this? What material should I use? How should I attach it to the original blade?

Thanks

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
i have the same plow. I put a cutting edge on mine! Just used a 2" wide piece of flat stock, drilled holes in it to match the carriage bolts and bolted it on!! I can get pictures. You think you could scan that manual and email it to me? I don't have that manual!!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GT80

I'll be glad to send you a copy of the manual. I'll try to get it scanned, but things are crazy here right now. If not, I'll get a paper copy together.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
157 Posts
Use a 4 inch wide piece of steel and drill the holes in the center of the piece.

If your blade already has holes in the bottom edge just match the holes in the new cutting edge.

If not drill matching holes in the blade low enough to expose a sufficient amount of the cutting edge. When it wears down you can just unbolt the worn cutting edge and flip it over and have a new edge again.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GT80

pictures of what you've done would be great! I think I understand, but seeing is believing.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
74 Posts
You are up in snow country. Go by the county or state Highway shop and see if you can talk them out of a old grader blade cutting edge or one off an under frame truck blade that they use for cleaing off slush.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I've read some people use a strip of tough rubber cut from a horse floor mat as the 'cutting edge' of a snow plow to avoid scaring a paved drive...

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
GT80

pictures of what you've done would be great! I think I understand, but seeing is believing.

Thanks

Mark
plow.JPG

Here is a pic- not great, but i can get a better one tomorrow. I think i used a 2" by 48" piece, cut to length and drilled out holes to match the existing ones in the plow. Used 5/16 bolts to hold it on.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I now have a 46" dozer / snowplow. This is model 917.253311.

This model has the trip spring setup to protect the tractor.

This does NOT have the replaceable cutting edge that some of my earlier sears snowplow / dozers came with.

Is it possible to add this replaceable edge?

What suggestions do you have to do this? What material should I use? How should I attach it to the original blade?

Thanks
My somewhat newer GTV 11 has the blade with the "Scraper Bar", p/n 3117J, which is NLA from Sears (like millions of other parts!).

Of interest to you, however, might be that the blade manual lists the attaching bolts (which seem to be on your blade) as carriage bolts, 5/16-18 x 1" Grade 5. You probably won't need new bolts if that's what you already have.

My blade isn't where I can quickly get to it to measure the Bar, but if you don't find dimensions, private message me and I will measure the length (should be close to that nominal 46", probably exactly the blade's width), height, and thickness of the bar on my blade when I can get to it. Of course, your bolt-hole pattern needs to match what you already have on your blade. My blade has six bolts (according to the manual).

The maintenance section of my manual specifically mentions reversing the Scraper Bar to use the unused edge, if needed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
GT80. Did you sharpen or put a cutting angle on the cutting blade?

I"m thinking of doing something simular but i'm unsure if the actually "cutting edge" cuts with a sharp edge like a hand plane would or is just a scraper.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
GT80. Did you sharpen or put a cutting angle on the cutting blade?

I"m thinking of doing something simular but i'm unsure if the actually "cutting edge" cuts with a sharp edge like a hand plane would or is just a scraper.
nope bolted it right on/ If you sharpen it, it would dig into the ground more... I already had issues with the new cutting edge tearing up my grass. It is meant to be a a scraper- it wears out, and your plow doesn't.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
decide what your'e gonna do for a cutting edge?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts