My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am destined to learn alot with my new to(y)ol.

Cut the grass for an hour tonight, stopped the engine, got off and looked under. What did I see? A pin hole leak that was spraying oil out of the machine and making a good little mess. I pulled out the drain bucket, to catch the drips, and pulled the plug on the transmission (lower plug number 10) in REDcircle as I was planning on changing the fluids anyway.

The oil that came out of the transmission was the color of really milky coffee, or maybe kaluha, is this normal color?

Question: How do I get oil back in the transmission? And what kind do I use? 20W50? Or something else?

Since the leak was evident, I could see it was coming out of a "patch" job I assume the PO did on the T fitting for the hydraulic hoses going to the cylinders. I can see what I call brazing on both T fittings. I took off both, as I will replace both, even if only one is leaking, this also let me drain out the oil from the rest of the hydralic system and I will add new oil when I am done adding the selector switch.

Question: Is there a filter someplace that I should change? If so, where? As I don't see it in the manual, and what would be the type etc of filter?

I also removed the hoses from the T fittings to the bottom of both cylinders. I have printed out CaseGuyToo's post (see quote below) from my original thread on this machine, and am off to Princess Auto tomorrow to pick up the selector and the hoses. Using the existing ones as a template. I plan on mounting the switch on the right hand fender low and close to the seat.

Go to the Princess site and open up the catalogue to the hydraulics section.

A suitable 3 port selector valve is on page 22 and is stock # 8107211. Bush the port openings down to accept fittings for 1/4" hydraulic hose with ordinary plumbing reducers using a good quality paste type pipe sealant, not teflon tape.

Pick a convenient spot to mount the valve. This valve has one inlet port and two outlet ports. Run hoses from the two outlet ports to the bottom of each hydraulic cylinder. Run a third hose from the port on the lift valve where the bottom hoses USED to Tee into, to the inlet port on the new valve. That's it.

Store the old hoses and Tee fitting away somewhere. Never throw stuff like that out cuz you never know when it might come in handy.

Is there anything else that I should be thinking about?

I will post photos of the installation step by step, and also the measurements of the hoses etc. (provided of course this works and I don't muck it up) my hope is that if I do this right others can use it to add this to their machines.
Thank you.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
So, I am destined to learn alot with my new to(y)ol.

Cut the grass for an hour tonight, stopped the engine, got off and looked under. What did I see? A pin hole leak that was spraying oil out of the machine and making a good little mess. I pulled out the drain bucket, to catch the drips, and pulled the plug on the transmission (lower plug number 10) in REDcircle as I was planning on changing the fluids anyway.

The oil that came out of the transmission was the color of really milky coffee, or maybe kaluha, is this normal color?

No, that is not the normal colour. That is the colour of oil mixed with water. Not the end of the world.

Question: How do I get oil back in the transmission? And what kind do I use? 20W50? Or something else?

20W50 is just fine to use. There is a plug on the rear of the trans-axle. Remove it and install the new oil. If you have another plug above the drain plug on the right side of the trans-axle, then remove that plug too. When the oil starts coming out of that plug, you have enough in there. If your tractor does not have that second plug on the side, then keep filling until the oil starts coming out of the fill plug itself. That's the correct level.

Since the leak was evident, I could see it was coming out of a "patch" job I assume the PO did on the T fitting for the hydraulic hoses going to the cylinders. I can see what I call brazing on both T fittings. I took off both, as I will replace both, even if only one is leaking, this also let me drain out the oil from the rest of the hydralic system and I will add new oil when I am done adding the selector switch.

Question: Is there a filter someplace that I should change? If so, where? As I don't see it in the manual, and what would be the type etc of filter?

No, there is no filter on these tractors.

I also removed the hoses from the T fittings to the bottom of both cylinders. I have printed out CaseGuyToo's post (see quote below) from my original thread on this machine, and am off to Princess Auto tomorrow to pick up the selector and the hoses. Using the existing ones as a template. I plan on mounting the switch on the right hand fender low and close to the seat.

Is there anything else that I should be thinking about?

Buy the selector valve first. Check your clearances carefully before installing it. You need to be able to swing wrenches in order to tighten up the fittings. Once you are satisfied that the position you have chosen will work, then that's the time to figure out hose lengths. You want the hoses to be "just right". Too long is not good. Too short ......:thSick:

I will post photos of the installation step by step, and also the measurements of the hoses etc. (provided of course this works and I don't muck it up) my hope is that if I do this right others can use it to add this to their machines.
Thank you.
Take your time. Think about the spot selected while your a$$ is in the operator's seat. You want the valve to be easy to access and not in your way while operating the tractor. :trink39:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CGT.
I remember you wrote to use 50 in the trans-axel in the original thread, wasn't sure if the trans-axel = transmission in the book. I guess it does.

I filled the trans using the rear filler plug - but forgot to remove the second one on the side -
Question: Is there a risk of too much oil in the tranny? Or should I remove the plug on the side and drain the excess?

Thanks on the suggestion to buy the selector and try to place it; however, due to timing issues - certain places closed at noon today. I had to cheat.

PA didn't have the fittings I needed to adapt the selector to the hose, or fittings for new hoses that would fit- I gather that everything on this tractor is size "5" which makes fitting hydraulics challenging, and also explains why the PO brazed what looks like leaks in the T fittings instead of replacing them. I was lucky and the guy working in the hydraulics section at PA sent me to East End Hydralics (Ottawa) which had all the parts and fittings, but closed at noon. So I used photos I took of the location I was looking to mount the switch to estimate the hose length. I know, not the best way to do it, but if I didn't the tractor would have been down until next Saturday, and I wasn't about to do that. I only over estimated by a little bit - most noticeably on the single hose going from the tractor to the selector switch, but I'm pretty comfortable snugging it up with quick ties. And in time, I can replace the hoses if needed.

Any way, I filled the hydraulic system, and gave the tractor a quick move, into the shed, tried out the cylinders and the selector does work. Not bad for:$125 for the selector switch, and $160 in hose, fittings, and labor of the guy at the hydraulics shop.

Photos to follow - hope the rains stops tomorrow so I can take some.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I filled the trans using the rear filler plug - but forgot to remove the second one on the side -
Question: Is there a risk of too much oil in the tranny? Or should I remove the plug on the side and drain the excess?

Overfilling won't hurt anything, the earlier model Cases were filled completely (almost) with oil as the transmission did double duty as the oil reservoir.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought I had done this already - anyone see the problem?

I know I messed up on the placement - should have mounted it a few inches lower! Really makes re-fueling a pain, and I will shorten the hoses as time and need require.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Grasshopper needs to understand rule "measure twice... cut once". When positioning auxilliary valves, one must check every aspect, recheck every aspect and then check again before drilling holes.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Can't see where the hoses come throught the floorboard area but make sure there is plenty of room and maybe put some grommets in the holes as there will be alot of vibration there and could rub the hose through causing a leak..

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Grasshopper needs to understand rule "measure twice... cut once". When positioning auxilliary valves, one must check every aspect, recheck every aspect and then check again before drilling holes.:thThumbsU
Yes, I measure twice, and took pictures with the tape in them, then still messed up - totally didn't think of the seat flipping up to fill the gas until the first time I did it, and the seat didn't go up!
:banghead3

Grasshopper has much to learn - about tractors. But he only make same mistake a dozen times!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can't see where the hoses come throught the floorboard area but make sure there is plenty of room and maybe put some grommets in the holes as there will be alot of vibration there and could rub the hose through causing a leak..
There is space, and space for grommets - I am looking for some - any leads would be appreciated.
That was one of the few things I think I must have thought of when I was doing this.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay whats with the pink key chain...Homie don't play that...
Key chain came with the tractor, works great to make sure I don't loose it, never even noticed, or thought of the color until you mentioned it.

Homie, why do you notice things like the color of key chains, are you a fashion designer, or an interior decorator? Does your case sport a
bumper sticker?

Next time I am out I will find a nice manly keychain just for you.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I was thinking that maybe Grasshopper installed a deadman's switch from a PWC on his GT so that it would stop fairly quickly if he fell off after imbibing too may quarts of froggie brew during his lawn cutting.:drunkie: :drunkie: :drunkie:

After all, he doesn't want to have to crawl too far in order to drag his butt back into the operator's chair. All those grass stains on his knees really annoy his wife too.:ROF

1 - 14 of 14 Posts