My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
I too am putting this on my list of things to do!Its rediculous to pay so much money for a machine only to have to warn people who borrow it to watch for the warning light because it tends to overheat!:1336:

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Easy mod. Get it done before the heat of summer gets here!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I wonder if there is enough room in the sender location for a mechanical gauge? I have one laying around and this would be a good time to put it to use! Anyone know whether or not the mechanical sender would restrict the water flow too much?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Looks like a great idea, and would sure resolve the issues I had with overheating last weekend.

I'll have to find a supplier for a good guage. I imagine almost any decent automotive supply store will have one, or could get one. Anybody bought one and can recommend a part number?

SwiftDeere, when you say "lift up and roll to the left" is that because of the tach cable?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm having problems finding a 1 1/2" guage. What I have been able to find is a digital guage that is about the right size. I'm thinking I might try that. It will need a rectangular hole instead of a round one, but it reads right to the "degree" with a very bright teal readout. This thing is also made for outdoor vehicles (motorcycles, Quads, etc) so it's weatherproof.

I checked Stewart Warner but they didn't have anything that size.

·
Central Kentucky
1,245 Posts
In addition to a gauge, I would like to install a warning buzzer that would go off when the over-temperature light comes on. Any ideas on how to do this?

·
I color outside the lines
2,159 Posts
In addition to a gauge, I would like to install a warning buzzer that would go off when the over-temperature light comes on. Any ideas on how to do this?
That would be easy. Trace down the wiring that goes to the light in the dash and install a 12volt relay. Just a cube type you can buy at an automotive store. Run the wire that goes to the idiot light to the coil on the relay.

By a buzzer or whatever you like and hook up to the contacts on the relay.

The relay isolates the current the buzzer draws away from the actual tractor circuit so you wont have any issues.

You might add a switch to it so you can silence the thing :)

I am missing having coolant temp and clock from old tractor.

See here http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=175325

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Looks like a great idea, and would sure resolve the issues I had with overheating last weekend.

I'll have to find a supplier for a good guage. I imagine almost any decent automotive supply store will have one, or could get one. Anybody bought one and can recommend a part number?

SwiftDeere, when you say "lift up and roll to the left" is that because of the tach cable?
Yes because of the tach cable, but also because the other wire bundles are coming up to the dash from the left side.

I had no trouble finding 1 1/2" gauges so not sure why you are having problems. The one I used and listed in my post is easy to find at the auto parts store.

·
Central Kentucky
1,245 Posts
I am in the process of installing a water temperature gauge on my John Deere 2320. So far I have followed Swiftdeere's great writeup, but I have encountered one small problem. The location of the sending unit.

Swiftdeere installed his sending unit in the plug located on the left side on the engine below the muffler. On the 2320, as you can see in the picture, the muffler is a lot lower, and if I install the sending unit there, the top of the sending unit, the plastic part, will be about 1/2 inch from the muffler.

I did notice on the right side of the engine, next to the original sending unit, there is a 12mm cap bolt with a copper washer (see picture W/yellow arrow). My question for anyone who has a diagram of the water pump area, what is this cap bolt for? It is drilled into the same area as the original sending unit, and I am hoping to use this hole for my sending unit. I will need to drill the hole larger and tap a 1/8 pipe thread so if this hole is used for something important maybe I need to rethink my sending unit location.

Can anyone help me?

Attachments

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Havn't checked this thread in awhile and wondering if BigD ever got his guage installed? If so, how is it working out for you?

Still no issues at all with my guage. Works great!

·
Central Kentucky
1,245 Posts
Re: Installed Water Temp Gage On My 2520

Hi all, I got the gauge installed, but not the wiring. I was assigned to work in South Dakota right as I was working on that project, and had to button everything up without completing the wiring phase.

When ever this assignment is over and I get back home I will work on it.

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Just let us know how it turns out and/or if you need any additional info.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts