My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have heard the complaints here about no actual gauges on the 2000 series tractors and after already having the temp light come on from a plugged front grill screen, decided to see what it would take to install an actual gauge.

After deciding where to put the gauge, I thought that maybe with an electrical sending unit type gauge, I might be able to use the factory sending unit to the light, but the Service Manual shows this is nothing more than a switch that is set to trip at 230 degrees F. So, I would need to also install a sending unit.

The gauge I bought is iEquus Performance, part no. 8162. This is the smaller 1 1/2" type that would work perfect for where I planned to install it. I bought the gauge at O'Riley's Auto Parts for $34.95 and it does come with the sending unit and a few adapter fittings. There are more expensive gauges, but I wanted to see if this worked first before buying some high dollar gauge.

1. Release tabs on underside of steering wheel and remove center trim cover

2. Remove nut holding on steering wheel and remove wheel. Being new, mine came right off with a few taps with a rubber mallet.

3. Remove rubber boot around steering shaft and then throttle lever.

4. Remove one bolt on each side towards the bottom side of the upper instrument panel housing and then 2 bolts by the steering column.

5. Sit on the seat and lift the panel up while rolling it to your left. Then start unplugging all the connectors and also remove the tach cable. All the plugs only fit one connector so there is no chance you will mix them up. Take the panel over to the work bench.

6. Check the backside of the panel for clearance and mark location. Drill a pilot hole and then use a hole saw for the cutout. Put some silicone around the base of the gauge housing to help seal out any water and install into housing.

7. Drain the radiator enough so that the water level is below the water pump. Just a quart or two is plenty.

8. Just above the alternator on the left side is a plug that goes into the water pump housing. This is where I planned to install the sending unit. Remove this plug. Just by chance, and lucky I guess, the gauge kit included a brass M16 X 1.5 thd X 1/8npt adapter and this is the exact size needed!

Install the adapter and its' sealing ring. Put a bit of thread sealant on the sending unit and thread it into the adapter and tighten.

9. Now you need to wire everything up. You need a sending unit wire, a 12 volt switched source wire and a ground. I layed the panel on the left floor board and started wiring. Leave yourself some extra length so you will be able to roll the panel back in place. Run a wire from the sending unit up to the new gauge and route it away from the exhaust.

For the 12 volt switch source, I spliced into the hot wire going to the PTO switch and then up to the gauge. For ground I just used a frame bolt that is holding on one of the relays under the panel. There is a light in the gauge that also needs to be wired along with your hot wire and ground wire.

10. Roll the panel back into place and re-install everything. I did put a little anitseeze on the steering shaft splines in case I ever need to take it off again. Be sure your radiator drain is closed and refill with the antifreeze you drained out (if it is clean). Pour any remaining into the overflow tank. Startup the tractor, check for leaks and enjoy the new gauge!

This actually ended up being way easier than I thought it might be. So far, it is working great and now I know when that front grill screen is becoming plugged and can clear it prior to any overheating.

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
Swiftdeere this is a good candidate to be a sticky so I did it. Your instructions are concise and easy to understand..

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Swiftdeere this is a good candidate to be a sticky so I did it. Your instructions are concise and easy to understand..
Thanks! Hope everyone sees it and that it may be helpful. :fing32:

·
Registered
618 Posts
SwiftDeere,awesome presentation.:fing32:
I just may do this,as you show how easy it is.:thThumbsU

Greg

·
Registered
413 Posts
Awesome. This is something I will add to my to-do list. It bothers me when I mow for 2+ hours that I have no idea how hot she is getting...

Now that you have the gauge, how hot does it run typically?

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Awesome. This is something I will add to my to-do list. It bothers me when I mow for 2+ hours that I have no idea how hot she is getting...

Now that you have the gauge, how hot does it run typically?
Thats what I would like to know too.

SwiftDeere, outstanding attention to detail on the write up!!! :congrats: I want a temp gauge on my 997, I would say it would be about the same hook up just different gauge location. Would like to do this to my 2520 too, but since I dont mow with it, not really needed, but you know cant leave anything alone.

:thanku::thanku::thanku::thanku::thanku::thanku: for the time taking pictures and posting this up!! :trink39::trink39:

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts
Michael ditto on the sticky!!!

SwiftDeere your posting and pics makes it easy for someone like me to do the mod. We are lucky to have you as a member here.:thThumbsU

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went out and mowed about 3 acres this evening. Outside temps have really cooled off and it was about 75 degrees while mowing. Water temp gauge stayed right around 180-185 degrees the entire time I was mowing. With everything right, this is where I would it expect it to be as the factory thermostat opens at 185 I believe. I even felt the lower radiator hose just to be sure and it was just warm and not really hot. This tells me that the 2520 has a darn good cooling system. There was hardly any wind to speak of and I did not have any problems with the grill plugging this time. I will post back in a week or two after I get a few more hours with the new gauge.

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was wrong in my post just above about water temps. Was looking at the gauge wrong, not realizing the scale graduations. Temps while mowing were running between 165-170 degrees. The factory thermostat is set to open between 157 - 163 degrees. (I checked the service manual this morning).

·
9K+ Poster
12,164 Posts
Great post! Thanks for taking the time to document it! :thThumbsU

·
Registered
171 Posts
thanks for the post swiftdeere. i have always wondered why they dont have any sort of indicator of proper running temp. i know the 2305 has something doesn't it, at least a green and red guage? this project just got put on my list of things to do. thanks again

·
Central Kentucky
1,245 Posts
Excellent job you did both in your instillation and the write up! Thanks. This is a job that is on my to do list, and I think your explanation here has allowed me to advance to the top on the list! Even the location is exactly where I was planning to mount mine.

Sorry if I missed this bit of information, but is the gauge water proof? or marine type?

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gauge is not labeled "waterproof" on the package, but like I did say, I bought a fairly low cost gauge, $34.95, first, as I wanted to see how this worked out. The gauge I used seems to be fairly well sealed. I just washed the machine off the other night and even with direct spray from the hose, no water got in the gauge. I was more concerned with vibration and for the long term, a liquid filled gauge may be the ultimate solution, but for now, this gauge is working great.

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still no issues with the gauge. No water has got inside, no fogging and no issues from vibration. Cold weather has not had any effect other than the temp just barely gets to 160!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Swift, Awesome job documenting the install, looks good too!

Because you laid the groundwork for the rest of us, I was wondering if someone could locate and drill the hole for the gauge without taking off all of the dash pieces as you had to. Is there back-clearance behind the gauge and in the dash to drop the gauge in from the front and snake the wires from the back?

Just wondering if the install could be easier for those that could learn from your experience.

Thank you, from all of us!

Tim :trink39:

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Swift, Awesome job documenting the install, looks good too!

Because you laid the groundwork for the rest of us, I was wondering if someone could locate and drill the hole for the gauge without taking off all of the dash pieces as you had to. Is there back-clearance behind the gauge and in the dash to drop the gauge in from the front and snake the wires from the back?

Just wondering if the install could be easier for those that could learn from your experience.

Thank you, from all of us!

Tim :trink39:
Could probably locate the hole and drill the hole from the front, but it would be difficult to snake the wires through. It really only takes about 10 minutes to get the dash off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Swift,

Went to O'Reilly's and bought the same gauge and installed it this weekend. Thanks for the write-up and the recommendation. Much easier to read a gauge than an idiot light when the sun is shinning on you. The tractor over heated on my wife but she could not see the light due to the sun. Now we both can monitor it more closely. Thanks again...

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Swift,

Went to O'Reilly's and bought the same gauge and installed it this weekend. Thanks for the write-up and the recommendation. Much easier to read a gauge than an idiot light when the sun is shinning on you. The tractor over heated on my wife but she could not see the light due to the sun. Now we both can monitor it more closely. Thanks again...
Awesome! Glad to see someone taking advantage of this very easy installation. :trink39:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts