My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As most owners of Cub 3000 series know they get slow after awhile with reverse being the worst. Below is a huge reason why. The linkage bushings are plastic and wear out quickly. The hydro levers barely move and you have no speed.

This tractor only has 360hrs on it and the bushings are already trashed. The reverse lever bushing is worn completely thru and you can see the linkage slop.

Linkages below that get bronze flange bushings--BFBs. I buy from Aircraft Spruce.
The small ones are FF520-10s and the big ones are FF730-03.
@Joelk gets credit for the BFB idea--he told me about it. He did it differently by drilling new hairpin holes in his linkages.
Hand tool Tool Wood Bumper Metalworking hand tool
Hat Automotive tire Mammal Wood Drinkware

Because they are longer than the plastic bushings you have to grind a little length off the small ones to get your pins back in. On the small ones the overall length is the important part. I mark them with a sharpie to tell me how much to grind off.
Wood Plumbing fixture Floor Flooring Plumbing fitting

Wood Font Gas Paint Auto part

The linkage holes get drilled out to 1/2" for these b/c the BFBs are thicker. I took both linkages off and drilled them on the bench.
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Tire Yellow Bumper

Now the big holes get drilled out to 3/4". I used a step drill from Harbor freight and my angle drill and used a bit holder to lengthen it for the frame hole. I had to remove the rubber mat and the bolt under it and the captured nut under the floorboard because it was in my way.
Automotive tire Yellow Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Now here is where I struggled. The big bushings need to have thin flanges to fit. The length doesn't matter. I ended up grinding the flanges thinner and then enlarging the hairpin hole in my linkage to get my pin back in.
Gas Automotive lighting Space Auto part Metal
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle
Insect Arthropod Pollinator Spider Pest
Wood Tool Machine tool Wrench Gas

·
Super Moderator
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fleshed that out bit. It's easier for me to type on my desktop but to add pics from the phone so I started the thread then dumped the pics in it from the phone.

·
Super Moderator
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the speed. Both have BFBs installed. I had the brake set on the 3205 until the last straight run.

• Haha
Reactions: APinNY and PA318Guy

·
Super Moderator
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Randy.....if you are going to drive that fast you are going to need a chin strap so you don't lose that sombrero 😁
It has one and I was wearing it.
:mudding:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts