My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am looking for new inner tubes for my Gravely L8 size 4.00x8 . The problem is all the ones I have seen have the valve stem in the middle instead of offset to the side. Any one know where I can get inner tubes with the correct valve stem and are decent quality???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have already checked the local tsc and rural king. All they have is the wheelbarrow style tube that has the valve stem in the middle. I am looking for a tube with the stem offset to one side so it will fit the gravely rim better.

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
You should compare the cost of new tires to the inner tubes. I recently paid $17.50 ea for 15x6-6 Kenda's for my lawn trailer. Tubes would have been $10 to $12 each. Tires had a lot of cracking .

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
As for the tubes, I've never seen any with the valve stem offset. I redrill the holes in the rim and plug the old ones.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
You should compare the cost of new tires to the inner tubes. I recently paid $17.50 ea for 15x6-6 Kenda's for my lawn trailer. Tubes would have been $10 to $12 each. Tires had a lot of cracking .
I second that. Just put a pair of 16x6.50-8 Carlisle Turf Saver tires on my Bunton for $55. New shorty valve stems are cheap too. One of the wheels had some rust inside the valve stem area because the PO used a tube. Tubes don't seal the inside of the wheel from the outside at the valve like real valve stems so water gets inside and corrodes the heck out of the wheels. I cleaned off the rust, welded the old hole closed, and drilled a new one 180° around the wheel for the new shorty valve stem. Spray on some paint and 24 hours later I had a pair of tubeless tires mounted and on the back of the mower.

My Horse I & Horse IV tillers run 4.80/4.00-8 tires. You can get that size Carlisle Power Trac AG/Bar treads for $38 each and the Carlisle Stud tread for $32 on Amazon with Prime shipping. They'll probably outlast you. My Horse I tillers first set of tires lasted from the 70's till a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not sure a tire would seal on a gravely L split rim without a tube in it. All the air would leak out between the split

·
Premium Member
70 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
not sure a tire would seal on a gravely L split rim without a tube in it. All the air would leak out between the split
I second this.

Try Richard's L&G, Berlin Gravely or gravely_tractor_museum on Ebay for the tubes.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Miller Tire sells 4.00-8 tubes. The web site doesn't say whether they have offset stems, but the last batch of tubes I bought from them did.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had no problems getting a set of 16-4.8/4.00-8 tubes with the Slime product pre-installed in them from TSC locally in stock. Stem was offset and fit rims just right.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Worn out tires with new tubes does work in my experience but does make you more vulnerable to flats. Maybe best for a bunch of L's just those not run much.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
If it's a hangar queen tube it. If you're going to use it I'd get a pair of tires. Loosing a $12-$20 tube because you didn't spend $35 for a tire doesn't make sense to me. As I said they'll likely last another 30 or 40 years or so.

·
Daryl G
854 Posts
nate_o23,
If you do order a tube, would you be kind enough to report back on whether of not there was offset on the stem? I am trying to discern what is the proper 'TR' type as it looks like at least a couple are described as being offset (see - https://www.tireinnertube.com/content/11-valve-stem-types) - TR13 or TR15???

·
Registered
891 Posts
nate_o23,
If you do order a tube, would you be kind enough to report back on whether of not there was offset on the stem? I am trying to discern what is the proper 'TR' type as it looks like at least a couple are described as being offset (see - https://www.tireinnertube.com/content/11-valve-stem-types) - TR13 or TR15???
Right: If the rim is the type that will not allow mounting a tubeless tire (split rim) I would consider just drill a hole in the rim that matches up will a standard tube valve stem. You can put a piece of heavy tape over the old tube hole.

I've had to drill valve stem holes holes in tubeless lawn tractor rims so as to match carlisle type inner tubes. If ever go back to a tubeless tire I install another valve stem.

Have to keep a heads up now days about china type inner tubes that will not hold air when new. Good reliable inner tube will cost $12-15. (and if you do not install it yourself you have paid close to price of a new tire)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ended up ordering tubes from chalmers industries. They did have a slight offset and they installed in the rim no problem. So far so good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts