My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Kioti SCUT
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Kioti CS2210 SCUT back from its initial 50 hour service. I took it to the dealer that sold it to me. They replaced the air filter, front axle gear oil, engine oil, and engine oil filter. They did not replace either of the 2 HST filters, even though my maintenance schedule calls for filter replacement at 50 hours.

When I asked about the filters, the Service Manager told me there was no way to replace the HST filters without draining all the trans fluid, and fluid replacement was not called for until 400 hours. He told me that there was no problem, and that the filters were both good. Should I be concerned?

If I decide to replace the filters myself, is there any problem changing the trans fluid at 50 hours or 100 hours instead of waiting until 400 hours?

Thanks, Cal

·
10,211 Posts
Unless the filters stick out the bottom of the hydraulic reservoir and the transmission, he's mistaken. How does he know the filters are good? Is there a sight glass on them? Did he ask them how they were feeling? Did he take them off and realize he didn't have new ones in stock? You can do them yourself, just relieve the pressure and swap out the filters. Refill to proper level, and then follow the purge procedure.

Was the front axle really part of the 50 hour service? Those are usually 250 or 500 hour level items.

·
Kioti SCUT
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both filters are horizontal, not vertical. One is at the front of the transmission, near the bottom. The other is higher and tucked into the frame. There's no sight glass or other indicator. I'm sure that some trans oil will spill out if they're removed. It may be a lot with the lower filter.

The dealer didn't touch the filters. As far as I know, the decision was made based on their service policy of not replacing HST filters until the 400 hour fluid change, even though the Kioti maintenance schedule calls for 50 hour filter replacement.

The front axle must be done at 50 hours. Kioti initially fills the axle with regular trans oil for the break-in period. Then it must be drained and filled with SAE 90 gear oil. At least that's what the dealer told me when I bought the tractor. You are correct that the official maintenance schedule shows replacement at 400 hours.

Is there any reason to wait until 400 hours before replacing all the trans fluid, other than the cost? Cal

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
The Transmission Oil Filter and the HST Oil Filter get changed at the 50 hour service. It says so in the owners manual AND the dealer Workshop Manual (page 2-16, Maintenance Schedule Chart). The filters get changed again at 200 hours. The transmission fluid stays in the system until 400 hours.

·
Kioti SCUT
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gary - Thank you. I'll do it myself, and plan to do my own routine maintenance from now on.

I'll also use the dealer maintenance schedule in the future, instead of the owner's schedule. The dealer's schedule shows other differences, including changing the front axle oil at 50 hours.

Do you have any tips to minimize fluid loss when I change the filters? Cal

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
When not running it's not under pressure. The fluid loss will be minimal. Buy a gallon of Traveler at Tractor Supply and top it off when you're done.

·
Kioti SCUT
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When not running it's not under pressure. The fluid loss will be minimal. Buy a gallon of Traveler at Tractor Supply and top it off when you're done.
Thank you. I just ordered the filters online. It looks like it may be easier to pull the floor, and service the filters from the top. I have a filter guard installed on the transmission filter. I think I'll try that when the filters arrive. Cal

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cal, I think I remember reading a suggestion of jacking up one side of the rear end to get the fluid away from the side the filter is on to help minimize losses. Don't remember if that was for our model or not.

My dealer did the filters and the fluid at 50 hours, although manual clearly states only filters.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Just curious, was the 50 hour service included by the dealer at purchase? It's a common thing to negotiate, or for the dealer to offer to help tempt buyers. If so, sounds like they are cheating you out of a service you are owed.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I don't remember, but I think I may have paid for parts but not labor for my 50 hour service. I didn't pay for pick-up or drop-off - that I do remember.

·
Kioti SCUT
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just curious, was the 50 hour service included by the dealer at purchase? It's a common thing to negotiate, or for the dealer to offer to help tempt buyers. If so, sounds like they are cheating you out of a service you are owed.
No, nothing was included with purchase. I made an appointment for the initial 50 hour service and dropped off the tractor myself.

When I picked it up, they charged me $246.44 for the air filter, engine oil & filter, changing the front axle gear oil, and checking/lubing the machine. That's when I questioned the transmission filters and learned they had not been changed.

It's funny that some dealers want to change the hydro oil at 50 hours when the schedule only calls for filters. And then other dealers won't do the filters. You would think that they would all follow the schedule. Cal

·
Kioti SCUT
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Buy a gallon of Traveler at Tractor Supply and top it off when you're done.
It actually took a full 2 gallons.

I pulled the floor to see if that would help. First I retracted the differential lock foot pedal. Just pulled one pin and the whole rod slid back into the fender. Then 8 bolts and I was able to tilt the floor fully forward. It gave me good view, but didn't help with access.

I then started on the lower (large) transmission filter. I removed the left-side bolt on the filter guard and rotated the guard out of the way. When I backed off the filter, oil started pouring out. The filter swap only took a few seconds, but I lost 1.75 gals of oil in that few seconds. It's a good thing I had a large drain pan. The tractor was cold (38F) which I thought would reduce oil loss, but it didn't.

Then I did the upper (small) HST filter. I started by removing the skid plate under it (4 easy bolts). The filter was in a really tight spot and hard to get off, and I lost another quart of oil during the swap including what remained in the filter.

When I was done it took every ounce of 2 gallons to refill the transmission. That's probably why the dealer wanted to wait until 400 hours. But at least I'm good for another year. Thanks all. Cal

·
Registered
936 Posts
No, nothing was included with purchase. I made an appointment for the initial 50 hour service and dropped off the tractor myself.

When I picked it up, they charged me $246.44 for the air filter, engine oil & filter, changing the front axle gear oil, and checking/lubing the machine. That's when I questioned the transmission filters and learned they had not been changed.

It's funny that some dealers want to change the hydro oil at 50 hours when the schedule only calls for filters. And then other dealers won't do the filters. You would think that they would all follow the schedule. Cal
OK, glad to hear you weren't "cheated" out of a service. These tractors are big purchases for most of us. so IMO, having to change the hydro fluid at 50 hours, even if unnecessary, to allow changing of the filters is worth the cost. Smart move to make sure its gets done!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts