My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, newbie here with some questions.

I just bought a house and inherited a Craftsman LT4000. It runs well, cuts well but overall could use some TLC.

First, I have no idea what the model number of this tractor is other than LT 4000. I don't have a manual or anything. It has a 13hp B&S engine with a 42" cutting deck and 6 speeds. How can I find out what the specific model number is?

I'd like to purchase a service manual, any preferred places to get one?

Any "gotchas's" I need to keep an eye out for?

I noticed the cutting deck belt is quite loose. Should it be like that? I'm sure I can get this info from the service manual, but figured I'd ask here too.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the model number, thanks!

It's 917.257630

I'm looking for a service manual, not the owner's manual. Any idea where I can get one?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Got the model number, thanks!

It's 917.257630

I'm looking for a service manual, not the owner's manual. Any idea where I can get one?

google the model # and look around! it may take a while to find what you need, but someone may have something out there

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Go to managemylife.com. They have most Craftsman tractor manuals on line for download in pdf format.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies guys.

I already have that owner's manual. I guess since everyone's pointing me to that one, it must be the only one.

Do they not make service manuals (in addition to owner's manuals) for these tractors?

Any thoughts on the loose belt? The owner's manual doesn't provide any specifications for belt tightness and only says a belt should be replaced when it begins to slip.

My tractor mows fine, I haven't detected any slippage, but the belt seems really loose with the blades disengaged.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I'm pretty sure there are no service manuals available, to the retail public anyway. With the blades disengaged it is normal for the belt to be very lose.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Look at the serial number for the manufacture date i do believe it will be in the standard date format as you read it?, if not someone will chime in and correct?.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts