My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys I'm back looking for more schooling!

The book says use 20-40 for the hydraulics. N/A in my area. What do you guys use?

What is the procedure for draining system?

:thanku::thThumbsU

·
Registered
128 Posts
20w50 can be used and is preferred by many. It can be found at Walmart but not in the name brands. They only carry it in a generic version.

·
Registered
79 Posts
TSC, Quality Farm and Fleet type stores carry pretty much any grade and type of oil you can think of. Other thing to try is the auto shops that do machining work/engine building.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I suggest Rotella 15W40 or any other high quality 15W40 or 20W50 oil. 20W40 is very hard to find and costs around $10 a quart at an Ingersoll dealer. I also recommend that you have a large drip pan and lots of rags when you change the oil because I created a HUGE mess when I changed the oil in my 446. Admittedly it was my first time changing the hydraulic but I was somewhat surprised at how messy things got. After removing the drain plug on the bottom of the TCV, I ran the motor briefly with the TCV in the ahead position to speed-up the oil drain. It "drained" plenty fast (more like sprayed out the drain hole)! Fun experience but again, a little on the messy side.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Guys I'm back looking for more schooling!

The book says use 20-40 for the hydraulics. N/A in my area. What do you guys use?

What is the procedure for draining system?

:thanku::thThumbsU
Smink,

Depending where you are in RI, I know that RI Harvesting in Ashaway carries Ingersoll branded 20W40 although it costs around $10 a quart.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I'm about to change the hydro oil in my 3014 Ingersoll any reason I couldn't use 5W-40 rotella and should I use a synthetic or just the conventional?

From what I've seen the owner's manual calls for 5W-20 in the winter which is primarily when I will be using it to blow snow. I will not mow with it but I may pull a trailer within the summer

·
Registered
24 Posts
I cannot think of a single valid reason to not use 5W40 oil in either synthetic or conventional. The edge would go to the synthetic because it would likely make starting the engine in really cold weather a bit easier,

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Okay thank you for the response That's what I did today. Seems to work fine from the little bit I ran it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts