My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please see my post in " For sale & W.T.B. forum"
Ebay & C/L are both fine in my book, however I`d prefer to keep it simple and offer to fellow MTF`ers first.
:thanku::thanku::thanku:

·
Registered
158 Posts
anyone live near Akron Ohio that will be going to the tractor show in Rockford IL on Aug 28th and willing to pick up this nice 38" snowblower from Randy for me?

or

I can meet near the MI - IN/OH boarder...if you are heading that way???

Not looking for a freebee...
Jason

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Due to travel distance and a missing lift arm, J.G. ^ has decided against the snowcaster, anybody else ?

W.T.B. Hydra-vac or Hydra bagger for L.H. deck.

Thanks !

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will that fit a 224? i live in warren ohio :thThumbsU
Blower:
Fit? yes. Rotate the proper direction ? no.
Sorry, you need a four digit Ingy to power an SB series `caster
You need a snowcaster with a single letter prefix ( J/N etc) for a tractor with a "front" flywheel. Crankshaft rotating clockwise when viewed from the front of machine. :sorry1:
Blade:
Yes.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Blower:
Fit? yes. Rotate the proper direction ? no.
Sorry, you need a four digit Ingy to power an SB series `caster
You need a snowcaster with a single letter prefix ( J/N etc) for a tractor with a "front" flywheel. Crankshaft rotating clockwise when viewed from the front of machine. :sorry1:
Blade:
Yes.

Thanks
It can be made to work if you change the pulleys from side to side. (move the driven pulley and the idler to the other sides of the blower unit). Would still be easier to get the right one though.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It can be made to work if you change the pulleys from side to side. (move the driven pulley and the idler to the other sides of the blower unit). Would still be easier to get the right one though.

Can anyone confirm the above and provide more detail ?

I could then use it on my 446.

T.I.A.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
While this can be done, to me it is a step backward because an SB is worth at least $100.00 more than a H, J, K, L, etc blower.

Ingersoll still offers a KIT to convert a letter blower to a SB, but not only do you get a new mule bracket, you also get a longer countershaft for the blower housing plus an extra support bearing and a bearing mount. In other words, there's a tad more involved than just cutting off the mule pulley brackets and swapping them side for side.

It's still some time before snow season so I'd be trying to locate a letter blower first while offering my SB for sale.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While this can be done, to me it is a step backward because an SB is worth at least $100.00 more than a H, J, K, L, etc blower.

Ingersoll still offers a KIT to convert a letter blower to a SB, but not only do you get a new mule bracket, you also get a longer countershaft for the blower housing plus an extra support bearing and a bearing mount. In other words, there's a tad more involved than just cutting off the mule pulley brackets and swapping them side for side.

It's still some time before snow season so I'd be trying to locate a letter blower first while offering my SB for sale.
I`ve read your previous posts about the "kit" and recall that it`s rather spendy. Thanks for the input

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
I`ve read your previous posts about the "kit" and recall that it`s rather spendy. Thanks for the input
SPENDY?????? Hmmmm. Mind-blowing would be my choice of words. If memory serves me right, the 48" kit cost more than $500.00 and the 38" kit was over $300.00. Brain can provide the current MSRP's if he's in a good mood but I'm sure that whatever he comes back with will buckle your knees.

I've seen decent SB-48's sell for less than the cost of the Kit. On the other side of the coin, a new SB-48 is probably around the 2G mark so...faced with that figure, the kit looks cheap if you have a decent letter blower that won't work with your 4 digit Ingy you just bought. It's all about perspective.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Greetings Castoff . I was just reading this thread . I know nothing about the Ingersoll/case line of tractors , however I am interested in these the more I learn about them so much so that I am planning on going to look at a 4020 sometime soon . The fellow that has this particular tractor is including a snowblower that he says he's never used -he says it's all together just like it was when he bought it used himself but he dont know if it works . Based on what I'm reading in this thread there are two different styles of snowblower that are applicable based on the direction of engine rotation . Where would I find the letter designation to make sure it's the proper snowblower for a 4020 and what are the correct letter designations for a 4020 ? Thanks in advance , Mike (with the vision problem):)

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Mike,
Ingersoll makes just two models of snowcasters for their 4 digit tractor models. Those snowcasters will fit on ALL the models thus eliminating the concerns that Deere owners often face when hunting for used attachments.

The SB-38 is a 38 inch wide model that is best suited for the slightly narrower 3000 series models equipped with the lower engine power. However, one can buy a set of "wings" that are nothing more than a pair of Z'd shaped pieces of sheet metal that bolt to the side panels of a SB-38 and add 4 inches of snow gathering to it. These are called SB-42's when shipped from the factory this way

They will cut a path wide enough for a 4000 series such as the one you have so you won't end up driving on fresh snow and packing it down. The four foot wide model is the SB-48 and it can be used on all the 4000 models as well as the 3000 models that have at least 14 hp. There should be a foil label on the back side of the housing stating the model number.

Now, just so you know.... there are some of the older "letter series" snowcasterrs that were originally designed for the 3 digit Case and Ingersoll tractors made in 1988 and prior, that have been converted to work on 4 digit Ingy's. So, I cannot just say to you, don't buy any snowcaster that has the model number beginning with one letter, followed by two digits.

Your best friend is your digital camera when going to see this tractor. Photograph the tractor from all four sides. Photograph the snowcaster too. Pay special attention to the belt mule pulleys and the snowcaster's driven pulley. Get the serial number of the tractor. Take a mental note of what the hourmeter reads right to the tenth and then when you start the tractor, check to see if the hourmeter is registering.

Any questions?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Cool , I'll keep you posted as to what I find out once I get out to see it , thanks for the info , I appreciate it !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts