My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Review of the Ingersoll 7020 Loader Tractor
So far I have put on 280 hours on the machine (received with .8 hrs) with no major problems other than routine maintain and one freak hydraulic lift cylinder packing which was repaired at local hydraulic shop due to dealer turn around I needed it then and there and a few other minor issues covered in later in this review. It has been very versatile and digs very well. The quality of the tractor is excellent it is very well constructed and built like a tank there is no plastic or fiberglass to be found all solid American made metal.

We will start with the things I don't like are that they don't give a diesel engine option and the cat 0 3pt hitch which i feel is small for this machine and no 540 rpm P.T.O option. The exhaust comes out right on top of the left tire and can blow mud and dust off the tire and back on to the machine but it can easily be fixed by either moving the direction with a little work and some small exhaust pipe but that is no big flaw it just annoys me and gives me an exhaust to make a stack. It comes standard with power steering, Ingersoll's reversible hydraulic P.T.O mounted on the right fender but a “Case drain” must be added to use certain attachments (example Hydra-Cutter).The reversible feature is great because you can spin the tiller in either direction depending on your soil condition and preference something not easily done with a 540 P.T.O The machine powers the implements well and the rear category 0 3 point hitch capacity is estimated 600 pounds I could not find documentation of this just word from the dealer and there is down pressure and a float de-tent on this lever.

The loader is permanently attached to the tractor easily operated by a single lever with a lift capacity of 938 pounds and can dump into a truck at 78 inches high the fully raised operating height is 94 inches. Personally I have lifted over 1000lbs with the machine and it did it well but I had to be careful as it was getting quite tipsy when raised more counter weight would of helped. The bucket is 4 foot wide and has a 4.7 cubic foot capacity. The loader has beefy twin two inch lift cylinders and one 2.5 inch curl/dump cylinder. An option that I decide on getting which is worth every penny is an ATI mini skid steer quick tach which allows you to take the bucket off with two levers and curl it to remove the bucket (it literally takes seconds to change implements) and drive in and curl the bucket and lift up and put the two levers down on the other attachment and hook up the hydraulic lines if required. This option is one of the most handy because there are currently over 50 attachments including larger buckets, grapples, forks, blades, brooms, post hole diggers, trenchers, snow blowers etc all are available to rent or buy. All these attachments are commercial grade. You have great visibly and control over the attachment I have used a post hole digger on this and it was easy to see and control a lot better in my opinion than say a rear mounted 3 point post hole auger a trencher would also work great. With this option you can also buy or make the plate that the quick tach attaches to and create your own attachment or adapt and old one to be mounted on this. If you have an odd job you can rent just the attachment that you need and get in and out quick you can easily make money with this tractor

When grading or loading with this machine it has more adequate power to dig and load at a pretty fast pace despite its rather slow top speed. Its very operator friendly with the lay out of the control lever for the loader and directional lever are right there at your finger tips. The power steer makes turning the machine easy to turn even with a full load to can done with your pinky finger its so smooth. The power steering allows you to easily maneuver the tractor to tight spaces quickly. When your working it you can really work it there's no clutch to fuss with or gears to grab like a traditional tractor. An un-skilled can easily grab a full bucket and dump it safely into a truck with out the tipping the occurs in small skid steers.

The Hillard 4 wheel drive works excellent allows you to go place you never taught you could with a machine like this. I have not found the need for chains with the 23x8.50-12 front tires and 29x10.50-15 rear Titan agricultural deep lug tires in the snow or mud. The tractor is equipped with a two speed trans-axle which in low range has a rather slow top speed of 3 mph and high range 5.4 mph. The four wheel drive cannot be used in high range but in low range it works flawlessly and the speed is adequate for heavy grading and digging . I have a rear weight box which is recommended when using the loader to help with counter weight and reach the loaders full capability with approximately 200lbs in it. The machine weighs in just under 2000lbs and is fairly gentle on the lawn, pavement and can be towed with most small trucks the overall trailering length is 107 inches and wide for its class 49 inches wide. The machine is very stable when loading trucks due to it length and operating on a hill. Don't let the size of the machine fool you though it is very strong both built and operating.

Driving the machine is done by Case/Ingersoll's old time tested hydraulic drive system which is comparable to a hydrostatic but much more heavy duty. The lever on the left is for forward and reverse and is speed controlled by your left foot like a traditional loader but with out the throttle since it is mounted on the dash. The dash contains a amp meter, hour meter, directional lever, 3 point hitch rise/lower lever, 4wd switch,head lamp switch, key switch and the throttle and choke. The brake pedal and parking brake lever are located on the left along with the high/low range selector. The engine , only one offered is a Kohler Command Pro CH 20 with engine oil cooler which makes a good 20hp at 2600 rpm and a displacement of 38 cubic inches and max torque of 33 ft. pounds at 2600 rpms. The engine is fairly loud though especially when under a load but has good power and great torque and gets right through it. It has a adequate sized fuel tank of 6.4 gallons of 87 octane and spin on oil and hydraulic filters. The hydraulic fluid that powers the loader, drive, power steering and attachments is cooled trough a radiator for optimal performance and less ware and tare due to heat because hydraulic oil can get very hot. The seat is comfortable and has a fairly high back and is adjustable.

The machine is built to withstand abuse the body design is simple, steering components are greasable and very solid A hydraulic motor powers a small drive shaft which in turn powers the front wheels. The undercarriage is protected by a thick approximately a ¼ inch skid plate. The front axle is very large and thick for a machine of this size and has not failed me in any ways as I sometimes get the machine on the front two wheels. The high flotation front R-1 tires really give good traction in loose soil, snow and muddy conditions.

I've used the tractor for snow removal and plowing brush cutting, roto-tilling, and pulling a single bottom plow. The brush cutter attachment made by Ingersoll is a very heavy duty unit weighing 450lbs.It is constructed just like there tractors with thick steel. It easily cuts through brush and small trees up to 1 inch diameter without even flinching I've gone trough approximately 2 inch saplings successfully with it.. The tiller works especially well as I discussed earlier since you have the ability to spin it in either direction and it leaves an smooth finished seed bed in one pass. The machine is just the right size for my area we own 7 acres about 2 are nice grass 3 field and 2 woods. I do some side jobs with the machine on some jobs which I tow it on a dual axle trailer and a ½ ton pickup truck most of the time. The bucket size is adequate for snow and the design is well with a slight curl forward you can easily plow through a foot of heavy snow with out having to dump the bucket every few feet. I oil down the bucket some times in the snow which aids in operation. I've spread loam, cleaned up underbrush, rock, turned compost, dug holes to dump into, even spread blacktop with the tractor.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've had only had a few minor problems when greasing I broke a few grease fittings, and it came with the wrong gas cap but I think that some one took it when it was at the dealer and the dealer just put on a old style cap but I got the right one from him after I filled it the first time the next day delivered to my door. The cap was if I were to guess was guess off a old Case model. But I replaced the grease with a large angled one but it may have been the grease gun tip and I yanked it off it was an easy fix though. This is another reason I liked this machine over others is the fact that it is simple. Nothing fancy, no cup holders or nice shiny plastic hood just a straight forward tractor with a loader permanently attached loader and less stuff to break and rattle. Servicing the tractor is easy I use a number 2 red TRC grease for all the fittings on the loader about every 25 hours oil changes are recommend at 100 hours the first time and 200 after that but I changed it after 25 the first two times and now I change the engine oil every 75 hours or seasonally since I prefer to run 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer because it can get quite cold and I use this machine for snow removal. The fluid filters are all easy to get at and change.

I am very impressed with it, It does the job of a small size skid steer and I believe it is worth the $12,500 list price with no options imo. That's not what I paid nor is it the subject of this review. I've owned my other Ingersoll for 14 years now and put its true its paces and this one I have worked hard as well and they function as it did when they were new. Its and investment in my opinion there's not a lot of machines like this anymore built to this kind of quality. Yes they are expensive when compared to other tractors that appear to be similar but the 7020 is in a different class that's and Industrial Loader Tractor like the Termite's T5C and Ditch Witch machines. I bought this machine knowing that its going to be running for years to come. A lot of rental companies buy theses machines and the TLB and they hold up well from what I've heard and seen as you know rental use is very hard on a machine because the operators don't care since it is not there's. Its not a throw away or a “cheapie” but its Made In America and that's becoming harder and harder to find. Sure someday I will have to re-power or rebuild the machine but I am going to have this for a while and I know it was worth the price I paid. Im a heavy equipment operator and I am throughly impressed by this tractors capabilitly.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,192 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience with the new Ingersoll. I hadn't realized that they had reintroduced this line of equipment. I thought it was just the 4000 series currently in production, so this is good news that Eastman is gearing up more of the product line.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well some bad news about the 7020. The 4wd Imo is fairly weak, I dont think i should of snapped both axles doing a little digging, but I tend to run this machine more like a bobcat than a sub cut. But even so the repairs are very costly Im looking at around 750 an axle x 2 and instalation:crybaby:.But we all know ingersolls arnt cheap to fix (at least some things) .Over all Im still happy with the machine and though it was probly my fault I just think it should have a better 4wd setup which is one of the few things I find wrong about this machine.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Sorry to hear the bill is so high. What diam. are the axles? Did they break internally, twist until snapping or from the differential? Just wondering.
I agree with you that it should not happen. I would have thought it'd take alot of serious pounding to break a tractor of it's caliber. I'd be quite bumbed as I can tell you are.
Hope you get it back soon.

MU

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I have a 7020 LBH that is pretty much as Discribed by JazzyJeff! I bout it from a dealer close out Bank Auction with 17 hours on it in June 2006. It is a 2005 model and was supposedly the dealers demo.

I have taken out a number of trees with stumps intact. One 18 inch red oak, after dropping it and cutting some logs out of it, left the stump to be pulled out of the hole. I drove into it and wrapped a chain around and attached it to the bucket. When I lifted, it started to lift slightly before the rear wheels came off the ground! And that back hoe is heavy! I extended the hoe all the way out, lifted that stump and backed out of the whole.

Last spring contractors were adding an addition on the house next door. After digging a crawlspace that filled with water, they had to call a wrecker to pull the skidster with the back hoe, out of the whole. After a trench and drain tile, they went back in the hole to finish clean up. No back hoe this time. When they couldn't get out again, rather than the big bucks for the wrecker, they hooked the F 250 to it to assist. Didn't move. One worker had a Jeep with an electric winch. After smoking the winch as I watched, I got brave. I approached the foreman and suggested that I had a small tractor in the shed which may or may not help. But I would get it if he wanted me to. "Fine, can't hurt!"

As I pulled across the property line, I had about 7 guys standing watching and shaking ther heads! I pulled up to the hole and attached a tow strap that the had over my bucket. Lifted a little on the bucket and back out! Never spun a wheel! Proud as a peacock, I watched 7 guys still shaking there heads!

I truely love my Ingersoll 7020 LBH!

I have other stories, too, but I think that is enough. Suffice it to say, they are one fine machine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just purchesed a 7020 ingersoll loader with 38 hours on it and own 10 other case/ingersoll tractors from a 224 that i bought new 26 years ago to my last 4020PS bought new in 2004. They are good tractors and jazzy jeff said it all (great overview). The one thing you should always remember is with the short wheel base you have to have a counter weight of at least 500 pounds on the back. I spoke with the 2 enginers that brought the tractor and 4wd together John Marto (INGERSOLL) and John Updyke (HILLARD) The one problem was that if you lift 750 pounds with the loader and the rear becomes light the front end does all the work and becomes the rear end and power/traction source for the tractor. We all know when looking at any tractor the rear end is built (HEAVY) to do the heavy work a tractor was made to do. Get ww60 wheel weights 4 - 8 of them in the rims and put a weight box on to achieve 500 pounds. For those of you with a BH keep in mind when the weight shifts to only the front end, dont put a lot of stress on the drive train at this time, these situations can leed to (broken axels). And the best thing of all these tractors are (100% MADE IN THE USA)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts