My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went, in the dark to look at this lawn tractor. Not running (no battery), guy only had it couple of years and didn't do anything with it. Said his brother ran it around once in a while. Sounds like the ez clutch is shot (blades hardly turned when ran by brother). I can turn the clutch assembly and here gurgling in the carb/intake. Is this a sign of weak compression? He wants 550 and thinks if it is fixed up, it would be worth 2500 to 3000. I call bs on that. He said the deck was a 46 inch ??? Anyway, since I am not free to run around during the day (work), some retiree is going to be looking at it tomorrow morning. If he don't buy it, I want to bring a battery and check it out during the early evening after work. What is this really worth and what do I look for?
Thanks--long winded for my first post.
Tom

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
The clutches are adjustable. It might not be shot, just out of adjustment.
Gurgling doesn't necessarily mean bad compression. How hard is it to turn over?

Whether or not these are worth $2500 - $3000, you will be hard pressed to find someone who will pay that. I am from the school who believes they are worth fixing and should be worth more than they are, but reality states otherwise.

$500 isn't a bad price for it, if the engine is good. Also if the deck is included. You didn't specify if he still has it.
One thing to check is the condition of the air filter and the oil. Says a lot about how it was maintained. If there's NO air filter on it, it may have been ran like that and have some internal issues. If the oil is like tar or there's none there, start real low on the offer.

I'm currently selling a similar tractor, older than the Ingersoll...see this link... hope you don't mind...

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=762937

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It did have a deck. If he hasn't sold it today, I'll check it more thoroughly after work when I have daylight. As far as turning the engine by hand with the plug still in, I thought it should be hard to do and wasn't too much of a struggle. I read about the adjustment on it. I also looked at the prices of the components as well---could get pricey quick

·
Registered
516 Posts
A non running 222 with just a deck is not worth much. There is no 46" deck. Its likely a 44" or 48". A 48" is too big for the 12 hp engine to run efficiently.

The fact that he doesn't even know the true deck size tells me he knows very little about these machines, so his views on pricing aren't in unison with reality or relevant.

Id value a parts lo-pro at $250-$300 tops. Price out a new clutch and engine work, and it quickly adds up.

Pictures would tell more than words. If it has any accessories like wheel weights, or a sleeve hitch then that changes things.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am in agreement about his lack of knowledge. I don't know a lot about them either, but I do know how to take care of equipment. He hasn't called so I assume that the "not working during the day guy" got it. I'll keep looking. I will say, almost anybody listing in this area thinks that their stuff is gold. No deals to be found like I read about on this forum.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Ingersoll 222 UPDATE

I called the guy-he still had it. Went to check it out. First, does that 12 horse have an oil filter? Did have an air filter-dirty, throttle linkage very stiff, ignition switch would make then not (jumped the solenoid). It would only run until the ether gas was used up. I don't think the fuel is making it up there (no gas smell), PTO doesn't move when the pivot fork moves. Friction material thick but has chunks chipped out. Hydraulic oil tank had maybe a 1/2 inch in bottom. Engine oil was somewhat dirty but it was translucent on the dipstick. Oil cooler missing support brackets (zip tied).
He is stuck on the $500 price because someone asked on a forum and was told he could get it (the asker not this guy). I asked if that tractor was a running one and the seller didn't go that far. I am still interested and think I can get it to work. Has the bigger deck and wheel weights. The PTO condition is my main concern and like all the old tractors around here--priced too high.

Another long winded description. Any opinions? Thanks

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Was that someone you? And the guy that said it was worth $500 was me? Sorry if it was, but I said if the engine was good.
If you can get it running on ether then it sounds like it might be, but also sounds like you need to do a carb rebuild or fuel pump or both.
I still say it's worth that, wheel weights are a bonus.

I paid $500 for a '71 Case 222 that was really rough looking. It has hydraulic lift, a snowcaster and a 38" deck that was rusted so bad it's unusable. I bought it at an auction and didn't have much time to check it out. I was able to confirm that it ran before I bid on it.
After I bought it I drove it through the auction to my truck and right up on the trailer. It turned out to have some clutch issues too, but it has always ran good for me.

Just wanted to share my experience. That was the first Case that I bought. Shortly followed by the second, I mean the same day, the same auction, I bought my 644. I got hooked and now I try to scoop them up whenever I can. I currently own 10, that's why the 220 is up.
Remember I'm up in Canada and the old Canadian dollar isn't what yours is. Not really sure how this effects garden tractor pricing, but all my prices are CAD.

How bout some pictures of the one you're lookin at? Here's mine....:fing32:
case222_2.jpg

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Oh, and no oil filter on the old cast iron Kohlers. What engine does it have, actually what year is it?

I thought the Ingersoll's were 3000 etc. If it's 222 it should be a Case.
:wwp::wwp::wwp::wwp:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is a Case. I don't think it was you. I don't know where the seller was looking. I noticed that yours has a hydraulic cylinder down on the plate and it has an exhaust system. I didn't see either on this 222. It is a Kohler 12 horse. Plate says it uses compression release and has iron sleeves. Is the missing cylinder an option. I still don't want to let it pass by. I am not a collector. I have hill that have to mow and I happen to like the way the old tractors were built. Had a Wheel Horse several years ago and a David Bradley with dual rear tires. I sure miss those now.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Yes, the hydraulic lift was an option. My exhaust is not original but there should be a muffler of some sort on the one you're looking at.
I agree the old tractors are built like tanks.

·
Registered
516 Posts
sounds like this machine has seen some very poor maintenance over the years. To get it running and to be a daily worker, a lot of time and money will need to be spent.

The one good thing I am hearing is that it does indeed have wheel weights. If they are the cast iron variety with 5 holes (D-8's) than the asking isn't too far off. If they are the black plastic sort (K-8's) then they don't add much value to the package.

If he's too firm on price id walk away. Other deals will appear.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
It is a Case. I don't think it was you. I don't know where the seller was looking. I noticed that yours has a hydraulic cylinder down on the plate and it has an exhaust system. I didn't see either on this 222. It is a Kohler 12 horse. Plate says it uses compression release and has iron sleeves. Is the missing cylinder an option. I still don't want to let it pass by. I am not a collector. I have hill that have to mow and I happen to like the way the old tractors were built. Had a Wheel Horse several years ago and a David Bradley with dual rear tires. I sure miss those now.
That cylinder would only be present on very early models. All later ones have it located under the tractor.

The plate info sounds like a replacement engine. Iron sleeves are indicative of an aluminum block. The original would have been a cast iron block.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I bought a Case 220 , no deck but a homemade manual plow setup for $ 200, drivetrain works good. Really rough exterior but I wanted a puller for logs/wood that needed to come up from my woods.. And it did that flawlessly. Used it for about 4 or 5 years. Developed a solenoid issue that I haven't bothered to address since I added 2 more tractors to my stable. I'm hesitant to ask $100 with no deck and currently not running.. $ 2500 to $ 3000 ? In my area it would have to be in almost fully restored condition to bring that price. And that's a lot of work unless you're really an enthusiast and don't count your labor.. But it does seem guys on forums like this are in it because they enjoy doing it. Don't get me wrong, they are great tractors and no box tractor will get anywhere close to what these will do. I've found most folks now a days just go out and buy box store tractors and if they get 6 or 7 years, great. Toss it and buy another one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts