My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Ingersoll 222 HyDrive is having problems turning right while in drive. I can still turn left just fine. But when I turn right, the steering wheel just kind of clicks and the wheels don't move.

Interestingly.... if I go in reverse, I can turn the steering and the wheels to the right. Seems like I might have a problem with the steering gear? I haven't done any tear-down yet, will wait until its warmers in Michigan. Is this difficult to get access to check this part and to remove it? Can anyone give me guidance of where to start? Thanks!

Jason

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Two likely causes:
1. the sector gear needs to be adjusted upward to mesh with the pinion. Easy to do, just remove the nut holding the gear on the shaft, and check for the adjusting shims location. There are normally 2 or 3 and can be on the bottom or top of the gear. Placing them on the bottom moves the gear upward.
2. The gear itself is worn past the point that adjustment will help. That requires a replacement. If that's the case, and you are interested in a used part, drop me a PM. I was rearranging my parts stash and found a couple that I'll never need. Cheaper than new!

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
If you have the owner's manual, a written procedure is there also for the shimming/adjustment of the gear that antiqueetc has described. Real simple to do.

New gears are also readily available … a good used one is generally also fine when you can find them.

Brian

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The issue was with the steering sector gear, the teeth were worn in the center. Took a little negotiating to get the old one off, but the new one went back on easy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are you talking about the large steering gear attached to the steering rod or the smaller gear attached to the steering wheel shaft having the same issue with my 3012

1 - 5 of 5 Posts