My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some info on how to get rid of the grape vines that keep growing on the fence in my back yard. Every summer I have a grape vine massacre and they still grow back. What will get rid of them but not kill off the raspberries that grow in the same area. Also, what type of care do the raspberries need? They grow outside my fence and do produce berries so I would like to get them corralled into a hedge row of sorts start picking them for consumption.

pete

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I remember my grandfather using copper nails, he would just drive them into the vines near the roots. I think they where just like roofing nails but made of copper. Heck with a vise and some grinding you could use a pennies.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Can't help ya with the grape-vines, but from what I remember growin up is, the rasberries didn't take alot of care. We never hedged rowed them, They took over a spot behind our wagon shed, roughly an area 100' x 100'. When pickin' started, we would start pickin' along the edges, then we would take some old 1 by 8s and lay them on top too walk on. It never hurt the vines, you lose alittle of the rasberries, but after you picked 20 gallons you don't really care. It would have been nicer if they was in rows:goodl:

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,679 Posts
I have blackberries growing along 800' of my hog-wire fence along the top of the ravine. This area of the country, these are more of a weed and a nuisance, but they do produce fruit. What I do, is when I'm mowing, I have a set of good sharp pruners in the tractor's "trunk" (more like a glove box) and I keep them trimmed off even with the fence.

When I see that they're setting fruit, I stop trimming the bearing canes and trim only the runners. Blackberries have two types of canes: runners, the stickery ones, and bearers. By keeping things trimmed up even with the fence, when it's time to go picking, it's just a matter of walking along the fence and reaching in a bit. You get quite a bit of fruit, and not so many scratches.

The trick is to periodically trim off the runners, then the plant's energy goes into the bearers.

I got to joking with my nephew, and was calling this "My non-patented, nearly cussless method."

Hope this helps you.

PS. Don't cut canes that are directly overhead. You don't need to know how I come by this sage advice. :duh:

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
PS. Don't cut canes that are directly overhead. You don't need to know how I come by this sage advice. :duh:
I think I saw that on one of those gardening shows on TV as well, wink, wink. :sidelaugh :sidelaugh

·
Registered
383 Posts
Ah yes, the NW version of the "Day of the Triffids" otherwise known as the Himalayan Blackberry. I'm fighting a holding battle on 2 sections of fence. It's starting to get scary - 4' fence, 5' Sheila, 7' blackberry triffids.

:eek:mg:

Like you Steamguy, I cut the runners, eat the berries!

Sheila

1 - 6 of 6 Posts