My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!

Is paying 100 bucks for Chinese atv worth the headache

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a couple 110 cc clone atvs that just constantly confound me, they will purr like a kitten u park them overnight and they wont run, anyway here's the deal I jump started one of them today for my daughter and let her ride it for about an hour with no battery, then suddenly it just cuts off and won't restart, it has spark it's getting gas, one clue I have is when it first died I wiggled the regulator/rectifier connection and it ran again then when I took my hand off it died, problem solved I thought, I went down to the shop grabbed a few zip ties came back and could not replicate it again, no amount of wiggling would get it to hit, I pulled spark plug and checked spark and it is doing some sparking, whether it's normal sparking idk, I do know it's not apparently enough to run, my harbor freight compression tester says 90 psi, but it ran great right up till it died and wouldn't restart so I don't think that's the issue. One last thing the wiring harness on this bike is completely homemade by the guy who i bought it from and is a complete birds nest but since it was running good I wasn't gonna fool with it. What are your thoughts? Did running it without a battery fry something, the headlights were off while she was riding and I did note the rectifier felt kind of hot on the backside when I touched it.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
The battery is mandatory for the electrical / charging system to be stabilized. Without it the voltage can swing wildly from <10V to over 30V.... the regulator has no alternate damping compensation built in...

Running it without a battery after jump starting it is only a matter of time before you fry the regulator, ignition, or any other electronics in there.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Its not just the engine, its the chassis issues and cheapness built in. I knew a few people over the years that ran chicom quads and all had issues. Soft metal, poor engineering, hard to find parts and poor running engines. Although, the cheap chicom LCT 291cc engine in my old AYP snowblower ran like a top for years.

I bought a used 2000 Polaris Magnum 500. Needed some tlc and and elbow grease, runs great and will have it for many years to come.

·
Professional Homeowner
8,093 Posts
I have a few buddies with Chinese quads. Yeah, steering and bearing/swing arm issues plague them. Also little stuff like thumb throttle mounts, electrical switches and other small things like that prematurely fail and put the machine out of service.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I guess about all they are good for is to wreck em. At-least I wouldn't cry knowing I wrecked it ha.

They definitely feel cheap!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yeah but it's $100. If it lasts you a year and in that year you've had to spend $100 in repairs, then you just got yourself a year of ATV riding for less than $20/month + fuel/oil/etc. In the meantime, you would have been saving up for the down payment on a better quality one.

Also this depends on the quality of the ATV and parts availability. Not all Chinese stuff is junk, just like not all American stuff is good.

·
Registered
325 Posts
While they may not be the best, for many situations they might make sense. A typical new Suzuki/Honda/Polaris/Yamaha youth 80cc atv is in the $3000 plus range. For some, that's a lot of money that for a beginner may or may no even like to ride. Then the beginners learning and wrecking an expensive unit is a whole other issue. Now, a typical Chinese youth is $1000-$1500. Big difference.

Speaking of Chinese... Harbor Freights Predators are hard to beat bang per buck. I have 2 of their generators that have been flawless.. one is 8 years old and starts on the 3rd pull every time.

·
Registered
568 Posts
@Fx4_5.0Man
Yeah, exactly. Hard to beat the price on a "starter level" Chinese ATV. And I agree on the Predator engines. I have one right now on a pressure washer. Looks and runs just like a Honda. I'd buy another Predator like right now if I needed one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts