My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Luv my Cadet
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I wanted to start this thread to see if anyone had any ideas or experience in which I can increase the amount of torque on my Cub LTX1050 w/Kawasaki engine I just bought from my local dealer.

From what I gather, the transmission is made by Hydro-gear and is the -0510 model. Please see this link:

http://www.hydro-gear.com/LawnGard/Consumer/RideOn/LTSeries.aspx

As you can see the rated output for torque is around 115ft-pounds. If you look at the "GT" section the 1500 series is 260ft.-pounds for the 3000 transaxle. :trink40: In my quest for ultimate torque I've been thinking of finding a transaxle for the 3000 series.

Fabrication and/or making the upgraded transaxle fit/work is not my main concern; I have fabricated some serious Frankenstein's in my time! I'm wondering if anyone knows of where I can find a transaxle like this, or has any experience with doing this.

I know it's an oddball sort of thing to do, but when you have a lot of time, some spare loot, a garage loaded with a plasma cutter, MIG welder, driller press and all kinds of other goodies it's hard for tinkerer's to leave stuff alone!

For what it's worth, I want the torque for plowing in the winter and for grading in the summer. I'm almost done building my plow now. I hope to post pics of the entire process soon. It's made of heavy duty 3/16" and 1/4" steel and uses a 600lb (3000lb resistance) electronic actuator for angling and (for now) a Warn winch for lifting and dropping of the blade. I'll soon be fabricating a way to create an addition linear actuator for that so I'll have down pressure.

Thanks for any input!:thanku:

I

·
Luv my Cadet
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can tell right away this won't be easy. Especially since the 1000 series tractor's use pulley's whereas the 2000 and 3000 series use shafts.

Basically, I'm just afraid of frying my hydrostatic transmission from using it too much when grading or plowing. In the winter the cold should help but in the summer...I don't know. Perhaps a transmission cooler kit from JC Whitney but I see no way in which to connect it, at least off hand.

Maybe a transaxle from another source? Such as Deere or Kubota?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Larger diameter tires will increase torque

I was kinda toying with larger tires for snowplowing as well
The 1046/1050 both use the 510 with the 3/4 shaft
The SLTX 1050 uses it as well, but uses a 4 bolt hub with the 22x9.5x12 tire

"Looks" to be a clean swap, but expensive [$4-500] and haven't tried it yet

The sad part is there are aggressive mud tires for the 20x10x8 but not for the 22x9's

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ooops, my bad
I was thinking in relation to 'converters' not diameter

·
Registered
449 Posts
No offense but larger (diameter) tires will increase speed not torque.

Actually is the opposite, smaller diameter tires in this scenario will give more torque. :)
Which make me wonder why in tractor pulling -- other than cosmetic purposes -- guys use tall 26 inch tires?? By doing this the gear ratio goes up thus losing some torque.

·
Luv my Cadet
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No offense but larger (diameter) tires will increase speed not torque.

Actually is the opposite, smaller diameter tires in this scenario will give more torque. :)
I was thinking about that actually. I think I can support down to 18" tires for increased torque. I'm really going to have to get the ole' physics book out though to see if it's worth it.

I know a guy who "converted" a Corvette ZR-1 and completely fabricated it so it has the late 70's/early 80's body shell. Basically, it looks like an old car but it could really cause some havoc with the latest and greatest.

In that sense, I'm kind of looking for the same. Dropping out the lower end and putting a different transmission in alltogether---gear or hydro, that offers some serious torque.

Is there one particular tranny that is known to be the end all be all for torque? Perhaps one used in tractor pulls?
:thanku:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know a guy who "converted" a Corvette ZR-1 and completely fabricated it so it has the late 70's/early 80's body shell. Basically, it looks like an old car but it could really cause some havoc with the latest and greatest.
A ZR-1 will definately increase torque and performance of your cub : )

·
Registered
933 Posts
Or, you could keep you riding mower for mowing, and rescue an older machine for plowing/grading duties. But I understand the desire to convert something for a job it wasn't originally designed to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts